UK job losses hit decade-high, worse seen ahead

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, superal said:

our hands are not tied when it comes to deals unlike the shackled ties with the EU who deal on our behalf , You do not have to be big to pack a punch i.e. the UK is the 6th strongest world economy and growing through these difficult times and it is clear to see that the EU does not want the UK to leave . Time will tell on the outcome of trade deals but I believe single country deals will be easier to achieve .

I have to agree on the HOLs and DC but royalty is are heritage and history to which much of the world look at with respect and high esteem ( despite the Andrew saga ) . DC is too much a hidden power and I cannot help  thinking his involvement with SAGE had a huge influence on the UK covid19 strategy  . I do have concerns with an unknown adviser being heavily involved with front line politics and who also flouted the lock down rules .

We can agree on one thing. Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Apologies for making assumptions on your position.  Johnson continues to screw up everything he touches.

I concur with all your points.  Thank you

Well I thought BJ burying a terrorist cuddle-er was brilliant, then replaced by a posh bloke.....:clap2:

New Labour has gone, Posh Labour is born, complete with a front bencher who told porkies about a police stop, just to stir racial stuff, keep it coming lefties....????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dunroaming said:

It's a fair question.  The effects of the Corona Virus has scuppered any predictions of the fallout from Brexit.  Not sure what you mean by BRINO though as Johnson pushes ahead with his no-deal plan.  Of course they do have to pay the 38 billion pounds and contrary to what they promised they will still be paying into the EU after we have left as agreed in the withdrawal agreement (Gove admitted they got that wrong two weeks ago), but so far it looks like we will revert to WTO rules.

But back to the fallout from Covid-19.  Over 730,000 newly unemployed and Britain officially in the deepest recession on record.  As the furlough scheme comes to an end many more will be made redundant.  I expect the EU countries will rally round and support each other so if we can do a last minute trade deal with them, that may help us in the near future. 

My son is trying to get a part time job as he is now going to 6th form college.  He applied to a local café for a Saturday job clearing and cleaning tables.  The owner said they usually get about one hundred people apply and they are mostly students.  This time over four hundred have applied of all ages.  Needless to say he didn't get the job.  He is also applying for an evening job at the bowling alley.  Again they are completely overwhelmed with applications and they haven't even re-opened yet!

Part time jobs for school children always seem difficult to find. It was the same in the 70's when I was entering the 6th form at school.  Helping market traders set up and pack up was popular as our school was near a market. But they only wanted a few.

Covid has been a disaster for many (most?) countries, especially it seems those considered "developed Western first world democracies". Or perhaps some of the less affected haven't been quite truthful. Spain and Germany getting hit again. The "old guard" are regressing as Asia is moving up and will, at some point, over take them.

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Part time jobs for school children always seem difficult to find. It was the same in the 70's when I was entering the 6th form at school.  Helping market traders set up and pack up was popular as our school was near a market. But they only wanted a few.

Covid has been a disaster for many (most?) countries, especially it seems those considered "developed Western first world democracies". Or perhaps some of the less affected haven't been quite truthful. Spain and Germany getting hit again. The "old guard" are regressing as Asia is moving up and will, at some point, over take them.

Bit off topic, but at 14 I operated an engineering lathe in a factory after school, a bygone era...????

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Goody gumdrops wee Nicola is there, like a savior to thwart it! ????

If you would prefer to see the Tory end point of US style labour laws and a gig-economy nation, that is your right, but I would be happy for anyone to put a spanner in those particular works, even though very soon it will be only tangentially relevant to my country. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Do you get chlorinated at the swimming baths...?

The problem isn't the use of chlorine, but the abandonment of other methods to assure hygiene in poultry production.  Get used to the much higher American rate of food-borne illnesses than what you Brits are used to.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, transam said:

Well I thought BJ burying a terrorist cuddle-er was brilliant, then replaced by a posh bloke.....:clap2:

New Labour has gone, Posh Labour is born, complete with a front bencher who told porkies about a police stop, just to stir racial stuff, keep it coming lefties....????

Which Labour front bencher has been telling porkies about being stopped by the police?

Can't be Dawn Butler because she is not been a front bencher since Starmer took over and the police have admitted to stopping her; albeit whilst providing some pretty feeble excuses for doing so.

"We couldn't see the colour of the people in the car because it has tinted windows." Really? In the UK it is illegal for the windscreen and front door windows to be tinted; they must be clear! Ms Butler's video shows that they are.

"The officer put the wrong registration number into the computer." Even if true, why do a check at all? Because it was a BMW being driven by a black man?

Why has the Met refused the request by, among others, the Police Federation chairman to release the officers' body cam footage?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

The problem isn't the use of chlorine, but the abandonment of other methods to assure hygiene in poultry production.  Get used to the much higher American rate of food-borne illnesses than what you Brits are used to.

I do believe the UK buys chicken from LOS, hygiene.........????

15 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Which Labour front bencher has been telling porkies about being stopped by the police?

Can't be Dawn Butler because she is not been a front bencher since Starmer took over and the police have admitted to stopping her; albeit whilst providing some pretty feeble excuses for doing so.

"We couldn't see the colour of the people in the car because it has tinted windows." Really? In the UK it is illegal for the windscreen and front door windows to be tinted; they must be clear! Ms Butler's video shows that they are.

"The officer put the wrong registration number into the computer." Even if true, why do a check at all? Because it was a BMW being driven by a black man?

Why has the Met refused the request by, among others, the Police Federation chairman to release the officers' body cam footage?

????............. Now that lot is not a very good twist chap, and I have seen her video, and other stuff, if you cannot see she is doing the racial hatred stirring thing then you are daft, but expected....????.......The car had tinted windows so the cops could not see who was inside.

Here is a couple of links for you, you like links.....????

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1321822/dawn-butler-police-car-stop-search-metropolitan-police-london-latest

Oh, so you know which window the cops looked through .....You really are something.......Lets twist again.....

Edited by transam

12 minutes ago, transam said:

????............. Now that lot is not a very good twist chap, and I have seen her video, and other stuff, if you cannot see she is doing the racial hatred stirring thing then you are daft, but expected....????.......The car had tinted windows so the cops could not see who was inside.

Here is a couple of links for you, you like links.....????

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1321822/dawn-butler-police-car-stop-search-metropolitan-police-london-latest

Oh, so you know which window the cops looked through .....You really are something.......Lets twist again.....

I have read many reports of the incident, including the Express one you linked to, and the Met's explanation. Hence my remarks in my previous.

You obviously do not know that, unlike Thailand, it is illegal in the UK to have the windscreen and front door windows tinted; they must be clear.

I do know that the video shows that these windows on this vehicle are not tinted; they are clear.

But maybe the officers came up behind the vehicle and so couldn't see who was inside. But the police have not said that the vehicle was being driven illegally; have not said that any traffic offence had been committed. So what explanation do you have for checking the registration of a vehicle being legally driven?

What explanation do you have for the Met refusing to release the officer's body cam footage, despite the chairman of the Police Federation Ken Marsh's, amongst others, request? Surely if they really did not know the colour of the driver before stopping the vehicle, that footage would show it? As Mr Marsh says in the Express article you linked to, "Now, that sounds a bit perverse, don't you think, because we've got nothing to hide.

"I'm talking about transparency here.

"I, as the chair of 30,000 officers, am saying: put it out there."

The feeble excuses produced by the Met coupled with their refusal to release the body cam footage indicates this is yet another instance of the Met stopping and searching a vehicle purely because a black person was driving it. You obviously think that's ok; most don't.

The governments own figures show that Black and Asian drivers are far more likely to be stopped than whites.

Summary

This data shows that:

• there were 375,588 stop and searches in England and Wales between April 2018 and March 2019, at a rate of 7 per 1,000 people
  • there were 4 stop and searches for every 1,000 White people, compared with 38 for every 1,000 Black people
  • there were 11 stop and searches per 1,000 Asian people, and also 11 per 1,000 people with Mixed ethnicity
  • the 3 Black ethnic groups had the highest rates of stop and search out of all 16 individual ethnic groups
  • the Black Other group had the highest rate overall, at 100 stop and searches per 1,000 people – this group includes people who didn’t identify (or weren't recorded) as Black African or Black Caribbean

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

And thus, how it will be for the next 20 years of England's relentless slide to the bottom - always the fault of someone else. 

like remainers blaming brexit for britains woes when the bulk of them were caused by joining the common market,sorry european superstate.

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, 7by7 said:

You are right, many countries have suffered economically due to the pandemic with the corresponding increase in unemployment. 

Try telling that to your mate @kingdong who is trying to blame the UK rise in unemployment since March on the EU!

Many countries, particularly in Europe, have Social Security systems similar to our own.

what an intellectually refreshing post you,ve descended to,a personal attack on a poster regarding an alleged friendship,zigger zaggar zigger zaggar hoi hoi hoi.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:32 AM, dunroaming said:

It's a fair question.  The effects of the Corona Virus has scuppered any predictions of the fallout from Brexit.  Not sure what you mean by BRINO though as Johnson pushes ahead with his no-deal plan.  Of course they do have to pay the 38 billion pounds and contrary to what they promised they will still be paying into the EU after we have left as agreed in the withdrawal agreement (Gove admitted they got that wrong two weeks ago), but so far it looks like we will revert to WTO rules.

But back to the fallout from Covid-19.  Over 730,000 newly unemployed and Britain officially in the deepest recession on record.  As the furlough scheme comes to an end many more will be made redundant.  I expect the EU countries will rally round and support each other so if we can do a last minute trade deal with them, that may help us in the near future. 

My son is trying to get a part time job as he is now going to 6th form college.  He applied to a local café for a Saturday job clearing and cleaning tables.  The owner said they usually get about one hundred people apply and they are mostly students.  This time over four hundred have applied of all ages.  Needless to say he didn't get the job.  He is also applying for an evening job at the bowling alley.  Again they are completely overwhelmed with applications and they haven't even re-opened yet!

sorry to hear about your son,how many of the punters applying for the jobs are from the millions of eu citizens resident in the uk from their failed countries?

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

what an intellectually refreshing post you,ve descended to,a personal attack on a poster regarding an alleged friendship,zigger zaggar zigger zaggar hoi hoi hoi.

Odd that you consider the suggestion of friendship between you and @transam to be a personal attack!

Particularly as you both routinely 'like' each other's posts!

Of course, that you ignore the fact that both of you and other Brexiteers have regularly said the same about myself and other Remainers over the last four years is only to be expected.

Not that I, and I'm sure they, have any objection to being thought of as mates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Would it be in the US interests to destabilise the EU ? Do they see it as a competitor? 

The US just like China and now the UK have no other wish than the EU to collapse.. 

tariffs, extraterritoriality of American laws, etc...   

"The US has said it will hold off an a threatened hike in tariffs on $7.5bn (£5.75bn) worth of European and UK goods that it imposed as punishment for subsidies for plane-maker Airbus."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53756201 

Edited by Opl

On 8/12/2020 at 10:32 AM, dunroaming said:

I believe your government will have put in place a "youth plan" (if not already)  as we'll have in France, we are all in the same boat

https://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20200723-french-government-unveils-€6-5-billion-plan-to-help-young-unemployed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Opl said:

I believe your government will have put in place a "youth plan" (if not already)  as we'll have in France, we are all in the same boat

https://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20200723-french-government-unveils-€6-5-billion-plan-to-help-young-unemployed

perhaps it would be better if the uk tackled the disease instead of tinkering with the symptons,ie get rid of the current system where people are trekking 3,000 miles across europe to take advantage of our benefits system,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingdong said:

perhaps it would be better if the uk tackled the disease instead of tinkering with the symptons,ie get rid of the current system where people are trekking 3,000 miles across europe to take advantage of our benefits system,

It's an incentive plan to fight youth unemployment

• Like 1