Russia becomes first country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine, says Putin

snoop1130

Russia becomes first country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine, says Putin

By Gabrielle Tétrault-Farber, Vladimir Soldatkin

ghh.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Russia's President Vladimir Putin discusses the environmental situation in the town of Usolye-Sibirskoye in Irkutsk region during a video conference call with officials at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence outside Moscow, Russia July 30, 2020. Sputnik/Alexei Nikolsky/Kremlin via REUTERS

MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia had become the first country in the world to grant regulatory approval to a COVID-19 vaccine after less than two months of human testing, a move hailed by Moscow as evidence of its scientific prowess.

The vaccine still has to complete final trials, raising concerns among some experts at the speed of its approval, but the Russian business conglomerate Sistema has said it expects to put it into mass production by the end of the year.

Russian health workers treating COVID-19 patients will be offered the chance of volunteering to be vaccinated in the coming weeks, a source told Reuters last month.

Regulatory approval paves the way for the mass inoculation of the Russian population and authorities hope it will allow the economy, which has been battered by fallout from the virus, to return to full capacity.

Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, hailed the development as a historic “Sputnik moment”, comparable to the Soviet Union’s 1957 launch of Sputnik 1, the world’s first satellite.

The vaccine will be marketed under the name ‘Sputnik V’ on foreign markets, he said.

Dmitriev said Russia had already received foreign requests for 1 billion doses. International agreements had been secured to produce 500 million doses annually, with the vaccine also expected to be produced in Brazil.

He said clinical trials were expected to start soon in the United Arab Emirates and the Philippines.

But only about 10% of clinical trial are successful, and the speed at which Russia has moved, approving a vaccine before the final stages of trials to test safety and efficacy are over, has worried some scientists, who fear Moscow may be putting national prestige before safety.

Speaking at a government meeting on state television, Putin dismissed those concerns, saying the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, was safe and that it had even been administered to one of his daughters.

“I know that it works quite effectively, forms strong immunity, and I repeat, it has passed all the needed checks,” said Putin.

He said he hoped mass production would start soon.

PHASE III TRIAL

The vaccine’s approval by the health ministry comes before the start of a larger trial involving thousands of participants, commonly known as a Phase III trial.

Such trials, which require a certain rate of participants catching the virus to observe the vaccine’s effect, are normally considered essential precursors for a vaccine to receive regulatory approval.

The Moscow-based Association of Clinical Trials Organizations (ACTO), a trade body representing the world’s top drugmakers in Russia this week urged the health ministry to postpone approval until that final trial had been successfully completed.

In a letter to the ministry, it said there were high risks associated with registering a drug before that happened.

“It is during this phase that the main evidence of a vaccine’s efficacy is collected, as well as information on adverse reactions that could appear in certain groups of patients: people with weakened immunity, people with concomitant diseases and so forth,” it said.

Some international experts have also questioned the speed at which Russia approved its vaccine.

“Normally you need a large number of people to be tested before you approve a vaccine,” said Peter Kremsner from the University Hospital in Tuebingen, currently testing CureVac’s COVID-19 vaccine in clinical trials.

“In that respect, I think it’s reckless to do that (approve it) if lots of people haven’t already been tested.”

Duncan Matthews, a professor of intellectual property law at Queen Mary University of London, said news of a potential COVID-19 vaccine was to be welcomed, “but safety must be the priority”.

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) have fast-track approval procedures for emergency humanitarian use and we need to see evidence that Russia is adopting an equally prudent approach,” Matthews said in an emailed comment.

More than 100 possible vaccines are being developed around the world to try to stop the COVID-19 pandemic. At least four are in final Phase III human trials, according to WHO data.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-11

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I wonder which country they stole it from,they have been very busy

hacking research labs around the World.

regards worgeordie

I believe there were reports of them hacking labs in both the US and UK.  

• Like 1

More recent article from Reuters:

Scientists ask: Without trial data, how can we trust Russia's COVID vaccine? 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccine-russia-exp/scientists-ask-without-trial-data-how-can-we-trust-russias-covid-vaccine-idUSKCN2571TL

We are being asked to believes Putin's statement without a scientific study on the trials of this vaccine published yet, so basically this is currently just hearsay. 

That and the apparent lack of phase 3 trials is a huge red flag for any logical thinker. 

That said I do hope they have success in this, the world needs as many good vaccine candidates as possible.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Its so safe, Putin has given it to his daughter.

Presumably his 5 year old daughter, one of the least likely candidates to need inoculation. The main category in need are the over 60 males.

Mr Putin is 67

As a father, I would have thought good old dad would take the jab first and then if found to have survived that, then the family could get one, if found not to be safe, then well at least the family lives to tell the tale, dad took it on the chin for the family. Then again, I don't think any father would allow his kid/s to get a jab unless he thought it was 110% safe, and this would probably show everyone, if I can get my kid to have a shot, so can you, but did she really get the jab, that is the question.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

Soon enough POTUS will be touting the Putin vaccine.  I worry for the kids of the people who will believe him.  It used to be the US right wing was concerned about Russia (USSR) compromising the health of the American people via fluoridation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy
but now it is they who are welcoming them with open arms via a compromised president, and now this.

• Haha 1

Currently this Russian vaccine announcement is just a publicity stunt, its been tested on less than 100 people! However Russia has labelled it finished instead of work in progress.

By this standard the Russian vaccine is far behind the other half dozen vaccines that are in development in the west and in stage 3 trials.

Going ahead with this gives the anti vaxxers all the ammunition they need to say just how unsafe and untested vaccines are.

• Thanks 2

Is the process moving too fast for WHO?
If the global economy is on its knees, who cares about their methodology? Unless WHO still wants to defend the interests of the laboratories that sponsor them?

Congratulations Putin, make people's lives great again! ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

All the other countries/companies are too busy fighting each other to be the first one to bring the vaccine on the market. (human greed).

If they would have worked together the vaccine would already been ready and distributed 3 months ago.

But of course making a fortune from someone else's suffering is more important.

Edited by spiekerjozef
  • Haha 1

This is nothing more than a step backwards for science.  There is at least a 50-50 chance it will work with no side effects.  The Russian phase 3 trial will cover millions of people.  Here's hoping it works.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

CHERNOBYL The Happiness of All Mankind Miniseries Episode 4. Series -  putlockers-CHERNOBYL-Season1-Ep4.over-blog.com

They have more than enough "reserve" in their prison camps to "ask" for volunteers to test.

Same China, with millions of Uyghurs, as I presume the FalungGong followers are "used up". Happily a new wave, now from Hong Kong, is coming in.