Russia becomes first country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine, says Putin

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

This is nothing more than a step backwards for science.  There is at least a 50-50 chance it will work with no side effects.  The Russian phase 3 trial will cover millions of people.  Here's hoping it works.

And if not... think of the wonderdrug Softenon.... till babies with no arms were born.

That's why the development of a new medicine lasts so long and is so expensive.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, mrfill said:

Its so safe, Putin has given it to his daughter.

Presumably his 5 year old daughter, one of the least likely candidates to need inoculation. The main category in need are the over 60 males.

Mr Putin is 67

He is not completely insane...

Bye-the-way: the two known daughters of Putin are above 25 y...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You obviously don't understand sarcasm. You wouldn't be Russian would you. ????

3 hours ago, Proboscis said:

If you are impressed with Russia, I have a few really good second hand cars I could sell you. Real investment, you understand. Going cheap. No need for paperwork - gentleman's agreement. Cash only.

When there is somebody to understand sarcasm, it's Proboscis

They can announce all they want.  Just like Putin regularly announces he has no idea why his critics seem to fall out of windows or have other kinds of 'accidents' much more than usual. 

The fact of the matter is Russia has not even done a phase 3 trial yet.  They basically went straight from Phase 2 to this announcment.  So nothing to see here.  

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

All the other countries/companies are too busy fighting each other to be the first one to bring the vaccine on the market. (human greed).

If they would have worked together the vaccine would already been ready and distributed 3 months ago.

But of course making a fortune from someone else's suffering is more important.

How exactly do competing companies fight each other and how does this impede discovery of a safe vaccine?

Competition causes innovation.

Nationalization causes stagnation.

13 hours ago, puipuitom said:
  3 hours ago, Proboscis said:

If you are impressed with Russia, I have a few really good second hand cars I could sell you. Real investment, you understand. Going cheap. No need for paperwork - gentleman's agreement. Cash only.

When there is somebody to understand sarcasm, it's Proboscis

Have I hurt your feelings. I wouldn't worry so much. I certainly don't.

Wow! Nearly all posts on this subject range from sceptical to highly critical On the other hand, I can only feel elated and relieved that a vaccine has finally become available ! Could it be that others here react to the words 'Russia' and 'Putin' like one of Pavlov's dogs? If so, I urge you to look beyond MSM for info about those two items and about Sputnik 5 (the name of the new vaccine). Yes, the truth is out there (Mulder was right, lol) in the internet, though it does take a degree of effort to find non-biased information, digest it and lastly conclude it is accurate.  

Some relevant info I believe that is factual and which MSM has omitted or glossed over in its usual Russia equals the bogeyman treatment follows:

1/ Sputnik 5 will initially be made available to Russian healthcare & educational workers

2/ After this it will be made available to the Russian general public (perhaps this could be called phase 3 testing?)

3/ It will not be mandatory for anyone and it will be FREE

4/ Around 100 countries have pre-ordered it

5/ Russia will co-operate with these countries in allowing them to produce it themselves to keep the cost down     

6/ When asked about the name, President Putin admitted it was a race (Sputnik 1 won the 'Space Race'), but stressed this time it was not a race against other countries but a race to save lives !

You may not be a Putin fan as I am, so please indulge me by ranking his performance (particularly re COVID 19) against these contemporary/future leaders of major Western countries:

USA: Donald Trump / Joe Biden / Kanye West

UK: Boris Johnson

Germany: Angela Merkel

Canada: Justin Trudeau

Australia: Scott Morrison

France: Emmanuel Macron

New Zealand: Jacinda Ardern

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, tokachinter said:

1/ Sputnik 5 will initially be made available to Russian healthcare & educational workers

You made many good points.

These above imop are Phase 3 clients.

Risky,but ballsie!

I must admit, I don't know much about the russian people's trust in Putin, when it comes to this chinese virus!

I sure hope it helps many.

Edited by riclag

10 minutes ago, riclag said:

Yo made many good points.

These above imop are Phase 3 clients.

Risky,but ballsie!

I must admit, I don't know much about the russian people's trust in Putin, when it comes to this chinese virus!

I sure hope it helps many.

Yes, correct and my typo. I meant to insert my comment about phase 3 trials after Point 1, not 2.

• Like 1

Still, the vaccine is probably not ready yet:
"Despite the state registration, the development of a vaccine against coronavirus has not been completed, explained Anatoly Altshtein, a virologist and employee of the Gamaleya Institute, on the "Echo Moskvy (Echo of Moscow)" broadcast on 12 Aug 2020. He said the drug will go through another phase of testing.
According to Anatoly Altstein, scientists quite often test the vaccines they have created on themselves - this is an indicator of confidence in the quality of the drug" (he used the vaccine himself without having any side effects).

2 hours ago, tokachinter said:

Wow! Nearly all posts on this subject range from sceptical to highly critical On the other hand, I can only feel elated and relieved that a vaccine has finally become available !

Dream on. This is an announcement of data from 76 people only, even then there are no scientific papers to analysis it. This stage has already been won and won with proper testing by the current front runners in the US, UK and China who are far ahead.

Cheating the system is a well known tactic of the Russians but they are doing it openly now and willing to use their health and frontline workers as guinea pigs. For what? To be first with an approved vaccine that is not approved anywhere apart from Russia. 

3 hours ago, tokachinter said:

You may not be a Putin fan as I am, so please indulge me by ranking his performance (particularly re COVID 19) against these contemporary/future leaders of major Western countries:

USA: Donald Trump / Joe Biden / Kanye West

UK: Boris Johnson

Germany: Angela Merkel

Canada: Justin Trudeau

Australia: Scott Morrison

France: Emmanuel Macron

New Zealand: Jacinda Ardern

Second to last, only surpassed in ineptness by trump. No idea why you included Biden and West.

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Second to last, only surpassed in ineptness by trump. No idea why you included Biden and West.

Thanks for responding to my request. Two questions for you: 

1/ Trump's ineptness is well documented, can you list some examples of Putin's ?

2/ I am curious, where would you rank Morrison? Based on his actions (and in-actions) during this and other crises, I would rank him equal or below his BFF, Trump.

P.S. I included all U.S. presidential candidates as an election there is imminent and therefore the leadership ability (albeit potential) of each during the COVID-19 pandemic is relevant (OK, not really for West who will likely only win the race to a mental health facility, though not by much from Biden, IMHO). 

Edited by tokachinter

On 8/11/2020 at 2:22 PM, YetAnother said:

if you spend more than 10 minutes researching this guy and his history, you wont believe a word he says

if you spend more than 10 seconds to realise this guy is an undemocratically elected politician, you won't believe a word he says.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/112415/will-putin-ever-leave-office.asp 

Now why does that seem familiar?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tokachinter said:

Thanks for responding to my request. Two questions for you: 

1/ Trump's ineptness is well documented, can you list some examples of Putin's ?

2/ I am curious, where would you rank Morrison? Based on his actions (and in-actions) during this and other crises, I would rank him equal or below his BFF, Trump.

P.S. I included all U.S. presidential candidates as an election there is imminent and therefore the leadership ability (albeit potential) of each during the COVID-19 pandemic is relevant (OK, not really for West who will likely only win the race to a mental health facility, though not by much from Biden, IMHO). 

"deny, distract, and blame"

1 hour ago, tokachinter said:

Yes, from what I understand of this incident that more than qualifies as inept ! So inept that it is incredible to think it was orchestrated by the former head of one of the most successful security services in the world. Who knows? Perhaps if the U.K. government shared its forensic evidence with an independent body the Russian Government and Putin's involvement could be proven beyond doubt.

"deny, distract, and blame"

7 hours ago, Scott said:

Let's please stay on topic, which is about the vaccine, not the various leaders of different nations.   Personally, I hope the vaccine is safe and effective.  

I second that. Also, unless you are a Russian citizen or one from the 20 or so countries signed up to receive the vaccine (like the Philippines), it is quite superfluous to state your opinion here on whether or not you would take it.  It is more likely that Thailand and the major western countries will opt for a vaccine from Big Pharma or the Bill Gates Foundation (Windows users should be familiar with his track record!) for their citizens.

Meanwhile, some updates on Sputnik 5:

1/ As above, so far around 20 countries are planning to offer it to their citizens (not 100 as I erroneously reported yesterday)   

2/ As mentioned yesterday, it will be offered to the especially vulnerable such as front-line health workers and teachers from this month. Voluntary immunisation will be offered to the Russian general public from 1 January

3/ It will protect recipients for a minimum of two years

23 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:
On 8/13/2020 at 12:29 PM, tokachinter said:

Wow! Nearly all posts on this subject range from sceptical to highly critical On the other hand, I can only feel elated and relieved that a vaccine has finally become available !

Dream on. This is an announcement of data from 76 people only, even then there are no scientific papers to analysis it. This stage has already been won and won with proper testing by the current front runners in the US, UK and China who are far ahead.

Cheating the system is a well known tactic of the Russians but they are doing it openly now and willing to use their health and frontline workers as guinea pigs. For what? To be first with an approved vaccine that is not approved anywhere apart from Russia. 

Agree.  If the vaccine really worked, they would put the medical data out there for all to see.  The US medical community doesn't appear impressed....

[Other US officials told CNN the Russian vaccine is considered so half-baked in the United States that it hadn't even piqued US interest in a serious way before the rollout. "There's no way in hell the US tries this (Russian vaccine) on monkeys, let alone people," one US government public health official said.]

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/13/europe/russia-us-coronavirus-vaccine/index.html