Bread.. Big price hike in Tops

Is the bread different than before? Word has it that a new bakery was part of the refurbishment and that there is a European Baker running it. Not saying that justifies the price increase, just wondering if there is any notable difference in the bread. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Phetphet make your own, when the virus kicked off i stayed home, did not go for bread at big C.

Started making my own, must say i was surprised at how good it is, now i make bread 3 times a week.

I reckon each loaf costs me 13/14 baht.

I keep on promising to buy a bread machine; do you have one & if so, what make?

39 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No mate, i just proof the bread in the microwave, then in the glass Otto oven, and it works fine.

Where do you buy ingredients?   I made bread before in my home country, but the price was double compared to buying bread in a shop.

1 hour ago, huberthammer said:

Is the bread different than before? Word has it that a new bakery was part of the refurbishment and that there is a European Baker running it. Not saying that justifies the price increase, just wondering if there is any notable difference in the bread. 

You may be right. The bread does seem different.

There was a german guy dressed in chef's whites behind the counter the other day. I was chatting to him and asked why they didn't install a food court. He said it was in the plans for the future. I just thought he might have been sent from Bangkok to oversee the launch of the new bakery. But as you say, maybe a new baker. Not seen him since though.

59 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Phetphet make your own, when the virus kicked off i stayed home, did not go for bread at big C.

Started making my own, must say i was surprised at how good it is, now i make bread 3 times a week.

Hmmm. Any special equipment required? Mixing machine etc? I don't have a clue where to start. I suppose I can find Youtube videos, and recipes online.

Just now, phetphet said:

Hmmm. Any special equipment required? Mixing machine etc? I don't have a clue where to start. I suppose I can find Youtube videos, and recipes online.

I just use a mixing bowl, mix by hand ( wooden spoon ), i use the microwave ( not switched on ) as a proofing chamber, works ok, then i put it into the Otto glass oven, nothing special, just using what we already have.

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

In Banphai there is a Chinese  owned supermarket/ wholesale, we buy 10kg box of flour for 220 baht, 500 gram yeast for 105 baht, so i have costed it out at 13/14 baht per loaf, which is a good price.

I was buying bread before in big C 32/35 baht, so making my own is cost saving., and the bread is good.

When i first started, the hens were getting quite a bit of bread, but slowly i got things right.

You do have to take into account the electricity used. My oven is 2 kW, so an hour's use is Bht 8 putting the loaf up to Bht 22. I try to bake 3 at a time and freeze them.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I just use a mixing bowl, mix by hand ( wooden spoon ), i use the microwave ( not switched on ) as a proofing chamber, works ok, then i put it into the Otto glass oven, nothing special, just using what we already have.

Do you do 'no knead' recipe?

Just now, stouricks said:

You do have to take into account the electricity used. My oven is 2 kW, so an hour's use is Bht 8 putting the loaf up to Bht 22. I try to bake 3 at a time and freeze them.

I allowed 3 baht for electric, flour 22 baht a kilo, 1 kilo makes 3 loaves, 105 baht for 500 grams of yeast, so i think 13/14 baht a loaf is about right.

I do not use a no knead recipe, i knead it before proofing, then again after proofing for 1 hour.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I allowed 3 baht for electric, flour 22 baht a kilo, 1 kilo makes 3 loaves, 105 baht for 500 grams of yeast, so i think 13/14 baht a loaf is about right.

I do not use a no knead recipe, i knead it before proofing, then again after proofing for 1 hour.

Does it really matter if you make some money on it or not ? I find bread that i make myself far tastier then most of the stuff you buy here. Though Tops has good bread. 

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

Does it really matter if you make some money on it or not ? I find bread that i make myself far tastier then most of the stuff you buy here. Though Tops has good bread. 

Robblok, as i am on a pathetic UK pension, when ever, where ever i can save money i do.

I also think my bread is better than locally bought bread, cannot comment about Tops, as the nearest Tops is in Khonkaen 44 ks away, so never bought bread there.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

col

I,ll give you double whatever it costs to make....can you deliver free each morning (I like mine straight out of the oven) down here in Patters...........:clap2:

joking aside next time I have some beef dripping I,ll pop up to KK and we,ll make some butties OK kid :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, petermik said:

col

I,ll give you double whatever it costs to make....can you deliver free each morning (I like mine straight out of the oven) down here in Patters...........:clap2:

joking aside next time I have some beef dripping I,ll pop up to KK and we,ll make some butties OK kid :thumbsup:

Memories, memories, childhood days, bread and dripping.... Yummy.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, phetphet said:

Normally buy a large multigrain loaf every day from Tops

The Makro I go too has a sale rack that will have almost expired breads on it for close to 50% off.

But, am curious I assume you have a big family with a large loaf a day almost 3,000 b a month spent just on bread?

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

would you take orderss?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The Makro I go too has a sale rack that will have almost expired breads on it for close to 50% off.

But, am curious I assume you have a big family with a large loaf a day almost 3,000 b a month spent just on bread?

Three of us. The large loaf in Tops is not actually that large. Sandwiches, toast. Soon goes. But yes you are right. It is expensive. I'm going to try colinneil's suggestion and make my own. See how that goes, apprehensive as to how that's going to turn out.