McDonalds & Free Refills - Competition heats up?

asiacurious

McDonalds has finally moved to offering free refills on all soda products. 

mcdonalds.thumb.jpg.939560262074deb59a1fbfce8d4ab787.jpg

Is this because of growing competition in the fast food space?

I know KFC started doing them some time back (they put the machines out for self-service, a move which McDonalds hasn't yet done - you have to go ask for a refill).

I've heard that Taco Bell and Texas Chicken also do free refills.

Are there any other chains in Thailand doing free refills?

How long before Thai restaurants start offering them as well?

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Carl's Jr does free refills.  They were the first place I encountered them in BKK.  Along with all-the-napkins-you-wanted, instead of getting one and having to ask for more.

Wish there was one in CM. . .

11 minutes ago, Sundown said:

You can find special discounts on McDonald's Thailand as well. As you can see below 304THB 2 BIGMACS 2 COKES 2 FRIES 2 NUGGETS (x8)

Screenshot_2020-08-11-22-13-35-031_com.global.foodpanda.android~2.jpg

If you order it through Food Panda as "pickup yourself" you even get a further 60THB discount.

Actually McDonalds had free refills already, but not on everything. Angus sets did have it (i think every branch and always, but not certain) and sometimes they had a promition that other sets also had free refill.

There are still a free KFC branches without free refill.

28 minutes ago, Sundown said:

You are comparing a single burger offer Vs a combo offer and that's not even a standard price, it's a special discount.

You can find special discounts on McDonald's Thailand as well. As you can see below 304THB 2 BIGMACS 2 COKES 2 FRIES 2 NUGGETS (x8)

Screenshot_2020-08-11-22-13-35-031_com.global.foodpanda.android~2.jpg

Yes, my post mentions the 50% discount and my price comparison regards set meals also versus single Big Mac burger. 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Carl's Jr does free refills.  They were the first place I encountered them in BKK.  Along with all-the-napkins-you-wanted, instead of getting one and having to ask for more.

Carl's Jr. has done free soda drink refills ever since their current entry to Thailand, as has Taco Bell in their more recent entry.... But those only apply to their soda products, and not to something more basic like bottled water.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Carl's Jr. has done free soda drink refills ever since their current entry to Thailand, as has Taco Bell in their more recent entry.... But those only apply to their soda products, and not to something more basic like bottled water.

One of the draws to Carl's Jr for me was the fresh brewed ice tea- with free refills.  Not the reconstituted instant ice tea junk.  As I recall, one of the selections on their soft drink taps was plain old water.  So I'm not sure they'd want to give away bottle after bottle of water, since there's a significant cost to each one.  In fact, I think they gave smaller cups away for people who asked for the free water- just had to refill it more.  But that may be a mixed memory from how they do it in the USA. 

I never really paid attention because I always got the ice tea.  Drank one while eating, and filled the cup again for the road... And I've never heard of anyone gaining weight drinking ice tea with a lemon wedge... (Which they also provided- free)

Back to the topic of the OP, Mickey D's is late to the free refills game.  I'm pretty sure they're bowing to competitive pressures.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, impulse said:

I never really paid attention because I always got the ice tea.  Drank one while eating, and filled the cup again for the road... And I've never heard of anyone gaining weight drinking ice tea with a lemon wedge... (Which they also provided- free)

Yes, you're right. Carl's outlets here have a separate dispenser for brewed iced tea, unsweetened I believe. But Taco Bell has a sweetened Nestea type product that dispenses out of their soft drink machine.  But AFAIK, at neither place do they offer regular water for free.

15 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Poor value at any price.

Big Mac price in the UK...........68 baht.

Big Mac price in Thailand.......195 baht. (Includes dubious cola & mouthful of fries).

Under the terms of the 50% discount offered by Chancellor Rishi Sunak, a Big Mac could sell for as little as £1.69 ($2.15) in participating restaurants.

625EDBD5-C88D-4075-8C20-D339874725EB.jpeg.30351785a6ceab1ca6b45257b9bfc143.jpeg

Use the McDonald's app for discounts and free stuff.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

McDonald's raise their prices substantially in the last 6 months 

Chesse burger meal was 109 baht now around 150

all meals went up similarly 

Now I don't eat Mc Donalds but I do like checking facts. Its 135bt not 150 for the set. Still an increase. Not as much as you said though.