McDonalds & Free Refills - Competition heats up?

asiacurious

Double Big Mac is my choice once in 2 or 3 months. However, it has really gotten pricy so I save my health by having it twice a year now ????

It is not I cannot afford it but rather I don't value a hamburger, fries and soda for 240 thb. I feel this set should be 189. But it's just me. Anyway, the prices have been raising for the last three years like hell.

7 minutes ago, WebGuy said:

Double Big Mac is my choice once in 2 or 3 months. However, it has really gotten pricy so I save my health by having it twice a year now ????

It is not I cannot afford it but rather I don't value a hamburger, fries and soda for 240 thb. I feel this set should be 189. But it's just me. Anyway, the prices have been raising for the last three years like hell.

I always miss out the fries and coke....????......2 BM's then straight to the pub...☺️

53 minutes ago, WebGuy said:

It was my go to choice as well.

I think 2 years ago double big Mac combo in December was on offer at 185. Standard price 210. This year they raised at 240. Stopped buying it. Not for the money as you say but I think such a big bump in price is quite ridiculous. 

Now I order from foodpanda only offers, like recently they have Angus burger (hate the sweet sauce in it but whatever) combo+ nuggets at 230. But yes I miss the double Big Mac.

Edited by Sundown

If you live in Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai and fancy a burger there is no reason to go to any of

the aforementioned fast food restaurants.

Arno's offers a 150g (1/3lb) dry aged beef bacon cheese burger with side dish for 220 baht, free drink

before 5pm.  Arguably the best tasting burger in Thailand. They also have a very good spicy pork burger.

I never eat a burger from anywhere else anymore. Highly recommended.

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

At those prices,for which is basically <deleted>, they can afford  to..

regards worgeordie

4 hours ago, yankee99 said:

McDonald's raise their prices substantially in the last 6 months 

Chesse burger meal was 109 baht now around 150

all meals went up similarly 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Now I don't eat Mc Donalds but I do like checking facts. Its 135bt not 150 for the set. Still an increase. Not as much as you said though.

3 hours ago, transam said:

Staff got a pay rise....?

Yeah, prices have definitely gone up, though prices at each location can vary quite a bit.  I've seen as much as a 50 baht difference on some sets depending on location.

McD also seems to be running more promotions lately.  Some quite ridiculous.

I do hope staff got a pay rise from it, and it wasn't just stockholders.

19 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

A freebie in Thailand? After eating a big mac, fries and drink how much more can you handle?

18 hours ago, samsensam said:

encouraging often over weight and unhealthy people to become more overweight and unhealthy. just the smell of these 'restaurants' makes me feel queasy.

I usually stick with Coke Zero (still not really healthy).  But on the flip side, I would order the upsize meal just for the extra drink.  Now I can stick with the regular or even go à la carte and skip the fries and not feel thirsty.  So that's less bad stuff in my estimation.  Of course, I could have done that before, but 65 baht for a large drink was ridiculous. 

17 hours ago, impulse said:

I never really paid attention because I always got the ice tea.  Drank one while eating, and filled the cup again for the road... And I've never heard of anyone gaining weight drinking ice tea with a lemon wedge... (Which they also provided- free)

Back to the topic of the OP, Mickey D's is late to the free refills game.  I'm pretty sure they're bowing to competitive pressures.

One for the road gets a +1 from me!  I figured they would be making the move to free refills soon.  Probably would have happened earlier in the year if not for the virus situation.

I would like to see more regular non-fast food restaurants (local places) do that too.

19 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

555 I have to say having been coming to Thailand since 1996, and having a McDonalds less than a mile away from my place, I've never, ever eaten a McDonalds in Thailand. I have enjoyed a few KFCs but now understand they only do the spicy version. Although I enjoy spicy food, KFC should be the original version only IMO.

Really? KFC in Hua Hin sell original also, sometimes you have to wait a few minutes because it's not so popular with Thais but at least it will be very freshly cooked. 

• Thanks 1

The last couple of times I've given in to the urge to eat at McD's I was equally surprised & sorry how bad it was....No amount of free refills will help....

Sausage egg McM is about the only thing I find tempting now....

20 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Poor value at any price.

Big Mac price in the UK...........68 baht.

Big Mac price in Thailand.......195 baht. (Includes dubious cola & mouthful of fries).

Under the terms of the 50% discount offered by Chancellor Rishi Sunak, a Big Mac could sell for as little as £1.69 ($2.15) in participating restaurants.

625EDBD5-C88D-4075-8C20-D339874725EB.jpeg.30351785a6ceab1ca6b45257b9bfc143.jpeg

And the NHS will have to cope with the increase in obesity. 'Fat bastards are us'!

22 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

A freebie in Thailand? After eating a big mac, fries and drink how much more can you handle?

A Big Mac was maybe considered big in the 70's. It's actually quite small,just 2x45g beef and bread. The amount of fries is nothing to write home about, either. 

Paying high prices once in a while is not too bad, but paying high prices and getting a much inferior product is not acceptable. 

I am surprised they are doing free refills. Kids sit in these cafes here like I have never seen anywhere in the world, most likely because there is <deleted> all to do here. Have you ever hung out with your buddy for an entire afternoon in a <deleted> Mcdonalds in the UK? This free refills is going to make that much worse I can only imagine. In fact, this would be my guess as to why they never gave refills in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Paying high prices once in a while is not too bad, but paying high prices and getting a much inferior product is not acceptable. 

I am surprised they are doing free refills. Kids sit in these cafes here like I have never seen anywhere in the world, most likely because there is <deleted> all to do here. Have you ever hung out with your buddy for an entire afternoon in a <deleted> Mcdonalds in the UK? This free refills is going to make that much worse I can only imagine. In fact, this would be my guess as to why they never gave refills in the first place. 

The only cheap part of a burger meal is the coke or other sodas. 1,5L coke cost like 28 baht at Tesco Lotus, and about the same for Pepsi. Burger joints,KFC and Subway pays less than that. They don't lose any big money having free refill.

40 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

yes ! Why Thailand wants to follow stupid US trends ?!

I am sure you will not be surprised to learn that Thailand is only one of many, and Mac is only a fraction of the trends from the US followed by a majority of countries. 

Unfortunately, people seem lacking judgment or come to reason when it is too late

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

A Big Mac was maybe considered big in the 70's. It's actually quite small,just 2x45g beef and bread. The amount of fries is nothing to write home about, either. 

Is that all? I'd expect at least a 6oz or 160g burger as standard and at least half a sack of chipped spuds. Forget the soda drink and substitute with decent craft beer then you're talking. Prime Burger all the way!

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because of the convenience. 

We ate at McDonalds today. Or rather, we were heading back into Bangkok and had to be back by a certain time (Mothers day dinner with inLaws). We opted for a ‘Drive Thru’ - Son had a happy meal, I had an Something Angus Burger, Wifey had some nuggets. I wolfed down the burger in a parking spot, then we continued on our way. 

Very convenient and exactly what we needed. I really didn’t fancy and quick street food, BBQ’d chicken which had been out in the sun etc. The alternative was a 7-11 sandwich or something similar. 

Fast-food places are perfect for ‘fast food’.... i.e. when quick food is needed, but not as a regular measure. 

They do a job - but it seems some people are so against these places with any measure of balance in their opinion. 

(We’ll go to a McD’s or Burger King 2-3 times per year). 

I don’t really see how it’s any more convenient than street food or a simple local eatery. A 7-11 sandwich is something I didn’t even know existed. I’m in no way judging you or anyone else despite my tongue in cheek previous comment, it’s just that I feel Thailand has so much to offer food wise, particularly “on the go” types of food.