McDonalds & Free Refills - Competition heats up?

asiacurious

History: McDonald's used to sell small hamburgs by the bagfull at 15¢ each. A Big Mac was only 'big' in comparison to its traditional burger size. Opening that box and seeing what you actually get at today's prices is always a disappointment. 

The best deal I ever found at a McDonald's was waterside at Lake Arrowhead, CA. Grab a senior coffee for 50¢ (now 75¢ but still free refills) and enjoy it on their 2-level deck overlooking that scenic mountain lake.

12 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

A 7-11 sandwich is something I didn’t even know existed.

The 7-11 cheese and spinach toasted sandwich is just what one needs on the way home after a dozen Changs or other Thai beers. A bowl of noodles comes nowhere near as satisfying.

Just what Thailand needs,  people addicted to soda, more sugar.   Soon the big gulp , liter size will be common as well as even more obesity.  In the USA all self service refill stations are closed for the virus.  A employee will refill  for you. Maybe in a new glass im not sure.  And  self serve  ketchup pumps are gone. Makes one wonder how unsanitary theses types of things were.   

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

The 7-11 cheese and spinach toasted sandwich is just what one needs on the way home after a dozen Changs or other Thai beers. A bowl of noodles comes nowhere near as satisfying.

That’s more beer than I’ve drunk in my entire life so I’ll just take your word for it!
oh and I’ll stick with noodles thanks

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

That’s more beer than I’ve drunk in my entire life so I’ll just take your word for it!
oh and I’ll stick with noodles thanks

What? Are you 14yrs old? Noodles must be excellent. Nuf said.

On 8/11/2020 at 5:35 AM, Orton Rd said:

Never eaten one, what are they like?

Pour a packet of salt on your tongue & you will be close enough....

The sandwich also contains 940 milligrams of salt

Of course those that eat this stuff often don't notice it.

Like that supersize me guy did

Edited by meechai

11 hours ago, Elkski said:

Just what Thailand needs,  people addicted to soda, more sugar.   Soon the big gulp , liter size will be common as well as even more obesity.  In the USA all self service refill stations are closed for the virus.  A employee will refill  for you. Maybe in a new glass im not sure.  And  self serve  ketchup pumps are gone. Makes one wonder how unsanitary theses types of things were.   

7.11 has Big Gulps already. Yum! And how clean do you think the employee's hands are? ????

3 hours ago, meechai said:

Pour a packet of salt on your tongue & you will be close enough....

The sandwich also contains 940 milligrams of salt

Of course those that eat this stuff often don't notice it.

Like that supersize me guy did

So what...?

On 8/11/2020 at 10:42 PM, soi3eddie said:

555 I have to say having been coming to Thailand since 1996, and having a McDonalds less than a mile away from my place, I've never, ever eaten a McDonalds in Thailand. I have enjoyed a few KFCs but now understand they only do the spicy version. Although I enjoy spicy food, KFC should be the original version only IMO.

If you do not live in Thailand, then why would you want to eat fast food when staying here for a few months? You can easily get that in your home country. Thai food or even the Japanese chains would make more sense while being here since Thai and Japanese restaurants are expensive in the West.

3 minutes ago, toenail said:

If you do not live in Thailand, then why would you want to eat fast food when staying here for a few months? You can easily get that in your home country. Thai food or even the Japanese chains would make more sense while being here since Thai and Japanese restaurants are expensive in the West.

People can get Italian food, steaks, pub-grub etc in their home countries... why would you limit yourself to just ‘Thai food’ because you are in Thailand. 

There is a whole range of foods here, the choice is wonderful. Its also good to have the ‘fast food’ option for a very quick re-fill and go when in a rush. It does what is says on the tin and you know what you are getting. 

Variety is excellent, there’s nothing wrong with fast food once in a while. 

15 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

What? Are you 14yrs old? Noodles must be excellent. Nuf said.

Believe it or not, even in Thailand there are people who don’t drink alcohol, and yes, particularly my local noodle shop, excellent and way better than anything McD can offer.

3 hours ago, toenail said:

Thai food is great and Bangkok has just about every type of food in the world. Sometimes people get a craving for something different. I normally cook in my condo, often eat street food, about once a year splurge on a Sunday brunch buffet in a hotel, order in a pizza delivery and even fancy a burger from time to time. Thing is, there are much better options than McDonalds closer to where I live. Not that there's anything wrong with a McDonalds.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, twocatsmac said:

Poor value at any price.

Big Mac price in the UK...........68 baht.

Big Mac price in Thailand.......195 baht. (Includes dubious cola & mouthful of fries).

Under the terms of the 50% discount offered by Chancellor Rishi Sunak, a Big Mac could sell for as little as £1.69 ($2.15) in participating restaurants.

625EDBD5-C88D-4075-8C20-D339874725EB.jpeg.30351785a6ceab1ca6b45257b9bfc143.jpeg

Wow! I'm going to the UK!!! Oh wait, I can't.

One wonders why the UK Government are promoting this stuff. Aren't there enough fatties waddling around and putting a strain on the NHS already. I wonder if the rising sea levels are anything to do with the polar icecaps melting. More like the increased weight of the population is causing the earth to sink.????  

• Haha 1

McD at the cheaper location on a main highway:

OLD: 108b, cheeseburger set

NOW: 155b

Uh, why the huge jump in price?  Plus, despite the photo above, the 155b set was not included at the McD on the sign for "free refill", only the pricier sets.  I did not ask,  but I would not feel the same trying to refill my glass 4-5 times!

Pass!  KFC has much better value for much less cash.

2 hours ago, Sheist said:

McD at the cheaper location on a main highway:

OLD: 108b, cheeseburger set

NOW: 155b

Uh, why the huge jump in price?  Plus, despite the photo above, the 155b set was not included at the McD on the sign for "free refill", only the pricier sets.  I did not ask,  but I would not feel the same trying to refill my glass 4-5 times!

Pass!  KFC has much better value for much less cash.

kfc doesn't have burgers. if you want something price shouldn't matter.

2 hours ago, fred110 said:

kfc doesn't have burgers. if you want something price shouldn't matter.

KFC has the Zinger.  If you have not tried it, then you should zip it.

Great, bland mayonnaise... not like the sweet regular store <deleted>.

And yes, price matters.

1 hour ago, Sheist said:

KFC has the Zinger.  If you have not tried it, then you should zip it.

Great, bland mayonnaise... not like the sweet regular store <deleted>.

And yes, price matters.

Another cheap Charlie. ????

I see it as an attempt to ruin the customer's metabolism. For some people, it's literally like giving an alocoholic free alcohol. Of course they'll take it. The 'Supersize me' is more about getting people used to eating more than it is about profits. The profits come as these customers become 'heavy users' as they were labeled by corporate McDonald's in the movie Supersize me. Get people to eat more. Change their habits and expand their stomachs. Someone said they will get diabetes. Yep, eventually but before that they'll be addicted to junk food. Just follow fast food in the US.

A lot of people here say they don't eat the stuff. Maybe their parents avoided it when they were young or when they came to Asia they kicked the habits with so many other options on every corner. Without the choices like you have here, a lot of those who say they don't eat it would be eating more. Changing your life by moving to a new environment can be the best and easiest way to change your habits.

But look around, Thais are getting fat. In fact, if you were to able enlarge them from their height to the height of an average westerner, the complaints about they being fat would be much louder. Small fat people just don't trigger the same comments from society. Thais are going the wrong way with food in general especially the sugary coffees and teas. Many have made that drink a part of their daily routine at work or school. Thai food used to be healthy but a lot of it is much sweeter than the original recipes. I see a lot of young Thais eating a lot more sandwiches or bread of some sort too instead of rice or noodles at lunchtime. With all the easy food by phone, the fast food and western choices, drinks, sugar and bread added to the diet of Thais, how can the health of the nation be going anywhere but down. And this free refill stuff is just more poison for the habits and bodies.

• Like 1