Jump to content
BANGKOK
MikeN

Digital odometers and timing belt warning lights

Recommended Posts

Not specifically Thai related, but maybe somebody here knows ....does a warning light for the timing belt on a diesel (specifically a hilux) come on when the cars digital odometer shows the scheduled service distance, or does it take a reading from the vehicle's electronics somewhere else ? My S.I.L's pickup is 15 years old yet shows only 71,000kms because often none of the dashboard instruments are working, including the odometer. I asked her about it while driving the pickup today, she said they have not worked properly for years ! possibly a loose connection somewhere as they stopped working when i hit a bump, and started again when i hit another bump. We did over 200kms today but the odometer only increased by 35. So it could well have actually done 100,000kms or more and be due for a timing belt replacement, but if the warning light reads from the odometer it would not light up. I had visions of driving at highway speed when the timing belt failed, and the consequent repairs !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to replace timing belt.

 

It is probably long overdue?

 

If you have a timing belt and not internal timing chain, do a visual inspection and make sure the belt is not frayed anywhere or excessively shiny.

 

If it is, best to change it now before it fails on the road

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When was it last changed? Timing belts are also susceptible to wear over time from the heat regardless of km done.

 

How much would it cost to change? I would change it just for peace of mind if last change was 4-5 years ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Vigo had a dash light that would come on at 150kkm. Your ride will probably not do that at the correct mileage. Think I recall something about replacing it at 7 years, even if 150kkm hadn't been reached, but the handbook doesn't say that.

I sold my Vigo at 11+ years old with 130kkm on the clock with the original belt, but a friend had the belt let go for one reason or another, could have been well over the 150kkm or age, I don't know, but I do know it cost a lot of money to repair the engine..😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ apparently it has never been changed, all I could get was blank looks when asking about it. The sister doesn’t speak English, the wife’s English and my Thai don’t extend to mechanical stuff so it was hard to get the message across.

 The pickup is kept at the sister-in-law’s but was actually paid for by the now deceased British husband of another sister and is used by the family as a communal vehicle, which everybody uses but nobody takes maintenance responsibility for.

 My hiluxes back in Oz were older models with a mechanical odometer and a warning light at 100,000 km, so if it is 150,000 now that is a bit more comfortable, may not have done that much. Will have to check, I imagine the owner’s handbook has long since vanished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

^ apparently it has never been changed, all I could get was blank looks when asking about it. The sister doesn’t speak English, the wife’s English and my Thai don’t extend to mechanical stuff so it was hard to get the message across.

 The pickup is kept at the sister-in-law’s but was actually paid for by the now deceased British husband of another sister and is used by the family as a communal vehicle, which everybody uses but nobody takes maintenance responsibility for.

 My hiluxes back in Oz were older models with a mechanical odometer and a warning light at 100,000 km, so if it is 150,000 now that is a bit more comfortable, may not have done that much. Will have to check, I imagine the owner’s handbook has long since vanished.

I have an in English Vigo handbook (2007 issue) if you need any info..

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same engine in my last Tuna. My book said change at 90k km. But never said anything about year. So I phoned Toyota BKK and they suggested 6 years or 90k km. I got Toyota to change it took around 25 min: cost if I remember correctly was under 4kbht for everything tensioner the works. N/B They didn't keep in stock so had to order.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The manual for my Vigo says 150,000km to change the timing belt for the diesel engine but no duration of time was listed just inspect every 40K. I've inspected mine it took about 5 minutes to expose it enough to see the condition. The manual didn't mention changing the timing belt on the gasoline engines so maybe they use a timing chain.

 

At under 4,000 baht as fredob points out I'd change it for sure. Looks to be an easy job. Often its recommended to do the water pump at the same time and judging from your story they may have just run water in it or very old coolant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

The manual for my Vigo says 150,000km to change the timing belt for the diesel engine but no duration of time was listed just inspect every 40K. I've inspected mine it took about 5 minutes to expose it enough to see the condition. The manual didn't mention changing the timing belt on the gasoline engines so maybe they use a timing chain.

 

At under 4,000 baht as fredob points out I'd change it for sure. Looks to be an easy job. Often its recommended to do the water pump at the same time and judging from your story they may have just run water in it or very old coolant.

Yes, it is 90,000 miles or 150,000km....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

I had the same engine in my last Tuna. My book said change at 90k km. But never said anything about year. So I phoned Toyota BKK and they suggested 6 years or 90k km. I got Toyota to change it took around 25 min: cost if I remember correctly was under 4kbht for everything tensioner the works. N/B They didn't keep in stock so had to order.  

It is 90,000 miles or 150,000km...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Time to replace timing belt.

 

It is probably long overdue?

 

If you have a timing belt and not internal timing chain, do a visual inspection and make sure the belt is not frayed anywhere or excessively shiny.

 

If it is, best to change it now before it fails on the road

Is it easy to see the condition of the timing belt, there's no dismantling that needs to be done?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hi Tea said:

Is it easy to see the condition of the timing belt, there's no dismantling that needs to be done?

How, on a Vigo.....?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

Is it easy to see the condition of the timing belt, there's no dismantling that needs to be done?

I think you are confusing the timing belt of a diesel with the fan belt of an ordinary car....

Even in my old model hiluxes you had to take off the belt cover, which meant draining and removing the radiator. I doubt it has got any easier or simpler with a modern vehicle !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I think you are confusing the timing belt of a diesel with the fan belt of an ordinary car....

Even in my old model hiluxes you had to take off the belt cover, which meant draining and removing the radiator. I doubt it has got any easier or simpler with a modern vehicle !

It can be done without removing the rad on a Vigo, but there is no way the belt can be viewed without taking the cover off. The new Hilux (-2015 Revo) engine has a timing chain and self adjusting tappets (valve clearance)..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...