Financial requirement pass book

I refer to the UK spouse visa financial requirements and providing proof by building society pass book. 

My Nationwide building society pass book with my savings has a logo on the front cover but no logo or mention of the building society name on the inside pages. It displays my name and account number on the first page and only account number and transaction records on the inner pages. Is this suffice to send building society pass book copies to meet the requirements below highlighted in bold?

Has anyone provided a similar pass book as evidence? (I understand Halifax pass book is a similar layout to that of Nationwide).

The official requirements are as follows; 

(a) Bank statements must: 
    (i) be from a financial institution regulated by the appropriate regulatory body for the country in which that institution is operating.
    (ii) not be from a financial institution on the list of excluded institutions in Appendix P of these rules.
    (iii) in relation to personal bank statements be only in the name of: 
    (1) the applicant’s partner, the applicant or both as appropriate; or
.     (iv) cover the period(s) specified.

(v) be: 
    (1) on official bank stationery; or
    (2) electronic bank statements which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.
•  (aa) Where a bank statement is specified in this Appendix, a building society statement, a building society pass book, a letter from the applicant’s bank or building society, or a letter from a financial institution regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority or, for overseas accounts, the appropriate regulatory body for the country in which the institution operates and the funds are located, may be submitted as an alternative to a bank statement(s) provided that: 
    (1) the requirements in paragraph 1(a)(i)-(iv) are met as if the document were a bank statement; and
    (2) a building society pass book must clearly show: 
    (i) the account number;
    (ii) the building society’s name and logo; and
    (iii) the information required on transactions, funds held and time period(s) or as otherwise specified in this Appendix in relation to bank statements; and/or

(3) a letter must be on the headed stationery of the bank, building society or other financial institution and must clearly show: 
    (i) the account number,
    (ii) the date of the letter;
    (iii) the financial institution’s name and logo; and
    (iv) the information required on transactions, funds held and time period(s) or as otherwise specified in this Appendix in relation to bank statements.

----------------------------------------

Would this be OK since the pass book doesn't have all these requirements on the same page but spread over the book including the book cover.

I don't see a problem sending multiple pages, that would allow the decion maker to see that the funds are normally at that level, not just padded prior to application.
If I were in your position I'd be asking the bank to provide a statement of the account, in a similar way to what many do here in Thailand.

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I don't see a problem sending multiple pages, that would allow the decion maker to see that the funds are normally at that level, not just padded prior to application.
If I were in your position I'd be asking the bank to provide a statement of the account, in a similar way to what many do here in Thailand.

Yes i agree,  to be sure i will try to get a statement then, the problem is the account is online statement and passbook only and im not in the uk to visit a branch. I will give nationwide a call and see if i can have a relative collect one from the branch.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:06 PM, NightSky said:

Yes i agree,  to be sure i will try to get a statement then, the problem is the account is online statement and passbook only and im not in the uk to visit a branch. I will give nationwide a call and see if i can have a relative collect one from the branch.

As you know, Para 1.(a)(v) of Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence says

(v) be:

(1) on official bank stationery; or

(2) electronic bank statements which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.

I have a current and a savings accounts with Nationwide.

The heading, layout etc. of the pdf. versions of my statements are identical to those on the paper versions my wife for some reason still insists on receiving.

Surely you can use these?

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

As you know, Para 1.(a)(v) of Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence says

I have a current and a savings accounts with Nationwide.

The heading, layout etc. of the pdf. versions of my statements are identical to those on the paper versions my wife for some reason still insists on receiving.

Surely you can use these?

OK that's interesting to know thanks, I think a print off the internet would require stamping from the branch.

My account with the funds is an ISA savings account, I only have a pass book and online transactions to view (and print) for this type of account. (There doesn't seem to be a physical statement option for this type of account).

If I were in the UK I would be able to head to the nearest branch to request a stamped copy of the printed online transactions although I'm in Thailand. I'm going to call the branch and see if one can be sent out to my UK address. If not possible I will have to rely on the pass book alone.

17 hours ago, NightSky said:

<snip>

If not possible I will have to rely on the pass book alone

As you, yourself, quoted in your op:

(2) a building society pass book must clearly show:

(i) the account number;

(ii) the building society’s name and logo; and

(iii) the information required on transactions, funds held and time period(s) or as otherwise specified in this Appendix in relation to bank statements;

It doesn't say (i) and (ii) have to be on every page. Decision makers aren't stupid (honestly!) and know what a UK building society passbook looks like.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

As you, yourself, quoted in your op:

It doesn't say (i) and (ii) have to be on every page. Decision makers aren't stupid (honestly!) and know what a UK building society passbook looks like.

Got it. Thanks.

On 8/13/2020 at 11:23 PM, NightSky said:

OK that's interesting to know thanks, I think a print off the internet would require stamping from the branch.

My account with the funds is an ISA savings account, I only have a pass book and online transactions to view (and print) for this type of account. (There doesn't seem to be a physical statement option for this type of account).

If I were in the UK I would be able to head to the nearest branch to request a stamped copy of the printed online transactions although I'm in Thailand. I'm going to call the branch and see if one can be sent out to my UK address. If not possible I will have to rely on the pass book alone.

I had an online account with the Halifax in the UK when I was living in Thailand, I simply printed a statement online and my then girlfriend submitted that with her application and her visa was approved.

Fast forward a year or so, my girlfriend was my now my wife, I then had a passbook from a UK account I copied this and also printed off statements online, she presented these, and they were accepted.

In your position I'd copy the passbook and printed the statements online for submission, as 7by7 points out, ECO's do live in the real world, well at least most of them, so thed'd probably be accepted. But if they were looking for a reason to refuse, that could be it.

ECO's are allowed to use evidential flexibility where part of the evidence is missing or not in the required format, they shouldn't refuse an application but should ask for futher evidence.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/points-based-system-evidential-flexibility

Archived