Airports of Thailand posts worst quarter

webfact

Airports of Thailand posts worst quarter

2020-08-11T115820Z_1_LYNXNPEG7A0XY_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-AIRPORT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: An empty immigration hall is pictured at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International airport amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Thailand, June 3, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Airports of Thailand Pcl <AOT.BK> on Tuesday booked its worst quarter ever after volumes plummeted due to coronavirus-related restrictions.

State-owned AOT reported a loss of 2.96 billion baht ($95 million) for the three months to June 30 versus a profit of 5.89 billion a year earlier.

The shortfall was larger than the 2.1 billion baht loss expected, according to four analysts polled by Refinitiv.

Foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand fell 66% in the first half of 2020 reflecting global travel restrictions, including some from Thailand's aviation regulator.

The country has put discussions of a 'travel bubble' on hold.

AOT's revenue, including landing charges and concessions, fell 88% to 1.7 billion baht, it said.

Flight and passenger numbers fell by 88% and 95%, respectively, said AOT, which manages the country’s main Suvarnabhumi Airport and five others.

For the nine months to June 30, it recorded 438,000 flights and 65.15 million passengers, down 35% and 39%, respectively.

It will proceed with the construction of a satellite terminal in Bangkok, it said, but delay its opening until 2022. ($1 = 31.0600 baht)

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; editing by Jason Neely)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-12

1 hour ago, webfact said:

It will proceed with the construction of a satellite terminal in Bangkok, it said, but delay its opening until 2022

At least that is smart. Work when there are no people.

But why delay the opening until 2022? Are they lacking funds?

Why don't they show how many cancelled flights departing from Bangkok. I know

you want us out of here by the 26 of Sept.so let us leave with dignity to where we want to go,

not all to one area,not every one wan'ts to go to Europe.It wouldn't take much to convince 

surrounding countries to take us from Thailand as there are very few cases of the virus here.

3 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Look at that airport!  I've never seen anything like that.  

WOW!  

These guys are going to be screaming by new years.  

After a flight from east coast of the states and exhausted, Im always wishing to see that pic when I arrive..

Sadly its more like a chinese free shrimp buffet.......but at this rate my wish many come true..

Seems more and more of this kind of news......the ever changing wheel O rama spins on..luck be a lady!!!!

30 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Why don't they show how many cancelled flights departing from Bangkok. I know

you want us out of here by the 26 of Sept.so let us leave with dignity to where we want to go,

not all to one area,not every one wan'ts to go to Europe.It wouldn't take much to convince 

surrounding countries to take us from Thailand as there are very few cases of the virus here.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-that-have-reopened-for-american-tourists/

for the yanks and others too....still seeing if anyone has done that cambodia 2000usd deposit..yikes

5 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Airports of Thailand Pcl <AOT.BK> on Tuesday booked its worst quarter ever after volumes plummeted due to coronavirus-related restrictions

Wait for the 3rd & 4th quarters... 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I wonder when the reality of a -30% gdp will finally hit 

I agree but the General predicts it will be less than 10%. Any other country ans they would be called out on this and forced to resign in shame at fabricating lies.

He is either talking a load of rollocks, genuinely delusional or is misleading the public. Either way any decent politician would resign.

Edited by Laughing Gravy