Are Phuket Immigration trying to force us into agents to benefit their own pockets?

As mentioned previously in various other threads.

I was previously on a Non Im O, this expired whilst I was in Africa on business, I intended to renew it in Africa as I do annually (Kenya), instead, as Corona started an outbreak (nov) on conclusion of my business there, i flew to another residence (Swiss).

In Swiss i recognised i needed to renew my visa, but felt more comfortable in Europe than being in Africa if an outbreak was to occur, this was roughly early Dec, and the embassies (Swiss, Turkey, Italy) were no longer issuing Thai visas to non residents, as a non resident home owner, i was not allowed to apply. 

Come Feb, it was getting pretty bad south of the border (italy).

We decided Thailand appeared to be low in outbreaks (outrageous when you consider most of the traffic from Wuhan flew through Bangkok), and headed for Thailand, I flew in on a Visa Exempt.

I intended to use that 30 days, then the second 30 days, then convert to the family 12 months, to see me through this period, without risking my life (20yr smoker), and my wives (astma). 

However after extending from 25th March (flew in 25th Feb) to the 25th April, Amnesty came in end of March (can't remember the date), and lockdown...

THEY TOLD US TO REMAIN AT HOME, AND NOT GO TO IMMIGRATION. - IMPORTANT

I remained at home, did many small projects around the home

Last month JULY - amnesty was expiring, they were telling us to get things in order, I went to immigration and said i wanted to convert to a 12 month visa, via the route of using the 60 day emergency family extension? they applied that, but said they could not do the 12 month family visa extension of stay on my visa exempt as it expired during amnesty (no comment... ok comment: THEY TOLD US TO REMAIN AT HOME, AND NOT GO TO IMMIGRATION. - IMPORTANT).

I got my 60 day and it expires 14th Sep.

I went to immigration last week, and a IMO was dealing with it (aside from trying to find issues to send you on your way), he couldn't find any issues, then the guy next to him (the one from last time) whispered in his ear, and then they both looked over, and stated, it can't be done, you can't get a 12 month extension based on marriage as your visa exempt expired during amnesty (i am on a 60 day one currently....), and that you should have done the conversion before it expired (during the period they were telling us not to go to immigration, and during the period they had us locked down to local small towns)....

Idiocy or something else? Because i am stumped, i suspect its all about milking, but no one is asking me for money, i've attached the visas.

Pls advise as i am now beyond bored of this, i am mid building an extension (life goes on, people need to eat) and I am concerned, annoyed... peeved even, we all know agents charge money (i've never used one), and the entire point is because they 'reflex the bahts' and make issues such as no funds or the like go away (i have a neighbour that uses them for that apparently -- who knew?) so it would make sense, they're trying to cause distress and push people into Agents where they will pay.

I should note i've been active a lot of late on this specific subject, and followed Bangkok, Chaing Mai, and up in the sticks where people are having no issues, seemingly its Phuket specifically, Phuket Immigration having the issues, and the only one not issuing Family extension 12 month (wife.marriage).

I have everything in order Inc a years worth of matured funds, so theres no dodgyness, i am what they call "good guy" not "bad guy" and being seemingly treated like i am a bad guy, for what ever reasons. you can see the visas' / exempts and perhaps then speak up about your own, (extended or not), my concern is my 60 days expires sep 14th and i wont be able to convert at that point, he did remark *laughing i'll add*, "its making you go crazy", and "its ok, you can stay till 26th Sep and then have to go".

Perhaps we can spread some light on this marvellous <deleted> show from Phuket immigration

117180220_1406853249510326_7250477078258826094_n.png

117140861_296608431406748_2417145596469351922_n.png

• Like 2

More on the "Visa Exempt Expired during Amnesty" the rule specifically they are claiming is the following.

"IF YOU HAVE OVERSTAYED, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION FOR THIS TYPE OF VISA."

There's a problem, I flew in 25th Feb, visa expired 25th March, but i had renewed it till 24th April.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/confirmed-embassy-letters-needed-for-immigration-visa-extension-76790.php

Amnesty came in 26th March (one day after i renewed my visa Exempt), so like anyone else from that period, i was (when it expired) locked down to my ta ban (or however you state that) and they were telling us to not go to immigration.

You did already do a conversation (60 days for some strange reason) so to do ANOTHER extension on the very same extension ( 1 year), Is that even possible??? Is that not against th rules??? I would have thought so.. But some wiser people will come and advise you more corrctly...

I guess you should hve gone for the 1 year extension, same price same job...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, glegolo said:

You did already do a conversation (60 days for some strange reason) so to do ANOTHER extension on the very same VISA ( 1 year), Is that even possible??? Is that not against th rules??? I would have thought so.. But some wiser people will come and advise you more corrctly...

I guess you should hve gone for the 1 year extension, same price same job...

glegolo

It's been mentioned here fairly often that it is possible ? 

49 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I think in these trying times, although you may not want to or agree, just get your neighbours agent to get you 1 year...finish your building and enjoy time with your family...next year you are good to do yourself...

The best advice, under the circumstances. 

I don't see any other alternative, 

Weather they are pushing the op to use a agent or not, it seems the only way forward to me. 

• Like 1

FYI
Phuket immigration could care less if you use an agent or not as NO agents issue visas out of Phuket, so they do not benefit one way of the other.

Even if you use a phuket based agent, your passport will be sent up to nakorn somewhere in Issan

Edited by zzzzz

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

For several months Phuket Province was locked down with roadblocks stopping movement outside your immediate area. I was one who found it impossible to get to the IO. They did open some "field Offices", but their duties were very limited in scope. They degenerated to the point of only doing 90 day reports.  Phuket Immigration at the time were stating visits weren't necessary because there was a general amnesty.

After the road blocks were stopped, near normal service resumed at their office.

Correct

9 minutes ago, CHAZ1 said:

A 12 moth extension of stay cannot be obtained from a VE entry or 60 day extension. Neither can a 12month visa be obtained - only a 90 day single entry visa is provided to those who qualify.

First, those already on a Non Immigrant entry from a Non O visa could always previously apply for the 60-day extension, followed by a one-year extension to stay with Thai spouse or child.

For the rest (mainly affecting those on tourist entries, including visa exempts) the problem is that many (most?) immigration offices are refusing to process visas to convert to a Non Immigrant entry for purposes of either retirement or staying with your Thai spouse. They are claiming that this cannot be done during the grace period allowed by the amnesty, but must be processed during the period of the regular permission to stay.

4 hours ago, CHAZ1 said:

A 12 moth extension of stay cannot be obtained from a VE entry or 60 day extension. Neither can a 12month visa be obtained - only a 90 day single entry visa is provided to those who qualify.

I'd qualify, the 90 days then can be extended to 12 months. 

But they're not giving it due to a rule that states you can not do it if you are on overstay, technically amnesty is overstay, as i had not changed when the lock down was in action, they use the fact that i now have a 60 day (expires in 32 days) but as the prior exempt expired in April (24th) i was on overstay (amnesty) between 25th april and july 15th (when i took out the 60 day).

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

First, those already on a Non Immigrant entry from a Non O visa could always previously apply for the 60-day extension, followed by a one-year extension to stay with Thai spouse or child.

For the rest (mainly affecting those on tourist entries, including visa exempts) the problem is that many (most?) immigration offices are refusing to process visas to convert to a Non Immigrant entry for purposes of either retirement or staying with your Thai spouse. They are claiming that this cannot be done during the grace period allowed by the amnesty, but must be processed during the period of the regular permission to stay.

Correct and as you can see, I am up ship creek without a paddle, for doing my hardest to be in the lines of the laws. 

Basically 'good guy' gets <deleted>, but if i use a agent (who bribes i suspect) then i get the visa (but am a bad person).

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

For several months Phuket Province was locked down with roadblocks stopping movement outside your immediate area. I was one who found it impossible to get to the IO. They did open some "field Offices", but their duties were very limited in scope. They degenerated to the point of only doing 90 day reports.  Phuket Immigration at the time were stating visits weren't necessary because there was a general amnesty.

After the road blocks were stopped, near normal service resumed at their office.

HUH:
2 weeks ONLY were we locked in our separate areas.  Other than that its been fine to move around the island

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zzzzz said:

HUH:
2 weeks ONLY were we locked in our separate areas.  Other than that its been fine to move around the island

You're correct, the general Tambon lockdown was for about 2 weeks. It seemed longer! 

Some areas did remain locked down for a longer period - Patong and Bang Tao for example. The curfew remained for some time and the beaches and the Island itself were closed for months.

well i dont know phuket but khon kaen IO is definitely pushing you to use agencies. I know this from my IO friend in nakhon sawan. Also Khon kaen IO refused my extension wrongly. and when i was exiting the building a man followed me and told me he can help with the visa. I said no thanks. Im using an agency which my friend used before. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 9:02 AM, Old Croc said:

On 8/12/2020 at 11:17 AM, Jenkins9039 said:

Correct

Lockdown was from Monday 30th March, but you attend on March 25th to get a 30 day extension.

If it was your intention to stay long term, you should have been submitting a TM87 and applying for a Non O Visa as a prelude to applying for the 1 year extension.

As you now have a valid 60 day extension, with permission of stay (not amnesty) you should again be submitting a TM87 to apply for the Non O.

You cannot apply for a 1 year extension unless you first obtain a Non O.

Procedure here:  Non O marriage.pdf

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Visa expired during those periods, and if memory serves it was a month.

@jenkins.

You don't have or have ever had a Visa.

You entered VE (no Visa) and have extended your permission of stay twice.

You have a 'permit' to stay.

It was a month from March 30th - Apr 30th, but you first went on March 25th before lockdown.

The date on your first 30 day permission of stay extension stamp doesn't lie.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PST said:

I used one of the field offices to obtain my 60 day extension based on having a Thai wife/children. I then used that 60 days to season my 400k and applied with no hassle for my years extension 2 months later. the IO was very pleasant and no money was asked for apart from the 1900 baht. The field offices could be used for everything Phuket IO could offer.

My experiences over several attempts to get a service were quite different. I talked about it on these pages at the time and wont do so again.

I never suggested bribe money was an issue.