BANGKOK
webfact

Pattaya’s Walking Street. Will it return to high rents and high heels?

The entire definition of "Walking Street" is that it's for walking only and no traffic allowed. And with parking allowed, why not just call it Pattaya Parking Street

That man in the last photo - doesn't he know you never wear patterns with patterns?

It was a has-been Chinese zoo for years before covid. Demolish the sea side, then it has some hope as a watering hole near the sea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Pattaya isn't anymore "all about sex" than Amsterdam is. That may have been the main draw decades ago, but not so much these days (just ask the business owners on Walking Street). There is still a large "contingent" of people who do come here for that reason though.

Years ago we did a thread on all the things you could do in Pattaya without going near a beer bar/a-go-go. If I recall, we had over 80 things on the list, from Paintball to bowling, from crocodile farms to bunji jumps, from snorkelling to para-gliding.

People who went to Walking Street back then knew exactly what it was all about (or had heard enough rumours to know) and no one was dragging them there at gun point and forcing them to participate in the spectacle. A lot of people purposely went there knowing it was "naughty" and wanting to see it for themselves (makes for better stories when they get home). 
I used to enjoy sitting in the Lucky Stars bars and watch the people going by. Better than any "reality" TV show ! A lot of people (foreigners mostly of course) would slowly walk to one end and then back again, stopping to take a few pics on the way, before heading off somewhere else. Just like a lot of people take a slow, casual stroll through the tiny walkways in the Red Light District of Amsterdam, just for the "experience". 

But if they are "prudes" or just shy, they don't have to go anywhere near there. It's like people who whine about the music on a certain radio station or a show/movie on TV. There is no reason they can't change the channel or turn it off altogether but for some reason they don't. (Wouldn't have anything to whine about it they did.)

People can have a great holiday in Pattaya without having to go to a bar or anywhere there may be "naughty" entertainment but guess what ? Those people will probably go to those places anyways "just to see what they're all about". A bit of naughty fun (or scoping out places to go back to once the "other half" is passed out in the hotel room).

Hopefully, clueless DefaultName--and many other clueless--will see your post.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Excellent post Steven, you must have written it before 5pm when you are perfectly sober, unlike the ones praising the PM and his soldiers when you were blootered. :drunk: 😀.

No, just a lot of the same hot air. Claiming no sidewalk vendor could make money selling noodles there, ridiculous, but how would he know? Thai resto possibly could as well, depending how well the whole idea takes off. False assumption that the idea is to attract ONLY families. Lots of single young Thais and couples come here on weekends & holidays too. Some places can reoriented to Thai clientele as well. Nothing was said about not keeping the red light aspect as well.

Now that I think about it, not one statement in that post made much sense.

Edited by BigStar

No tourists until 2021 Q1 or Q2, judging by the videos showing WS now it's mainly 808, Lucifer and iBar that is getting customers. Once the remaining tourists have departed there won't be enough expats to fill these bars and clubs up, the girls don't buy many drinks.

what decade are we talking about ?or even what century ..a little reality is needed

OK, I predict a road rage incident involving blades and guns will occur before the end of September.  Cars and foot traffic on a narrow street won't mix for long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Humpy said:

Will their be enough room for the squads of Chinese to squeeze between the food carts in order to keep up with the 'follow me' flag waving guide ?

Try to keep up. Thailand stopped admitting PAX flights back in April. There are no foreign tourists coming in, including Chinese. Moreover, the suspension is indefinite.

After it ends, and if & when a lot of tourists start coming back over, Walking Street will go back to being Walking Street. Or try to.

3 hours ago, Humpy said:

So many things that the Mayor must take into consideration before I even think of returning to Pattaya..... 

You're ignoring the 800-lb gorilla in the room, pal. I've no doubt the mayor isn't. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

OK, I predict a road rage incident involving blades and guns will occur before the end of September.  Cars and foot traffic on a narrow street won't mix for long. 

A prediction, good. Now we know that a road rage incident involving blades and guns will not occur before the end of September.

Cars, foot traffic, AND motorbikes (the primary danger) once mixed for years on that narrow street. It was a lot more crowded then than it'll be again for--who knows? I'd guess it'll return to pedestrian-only when international tourism starts up again.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Demolish the sea side, then it has some hope as a watering hole near the sea.

Good luck with that, how many years have they been trying to demolish the 101 buildings that are illegal? 

Good article, seems the "top dogs" own most of the "illegal" building https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/pattaya/bolstered-by-pandemic-pattaya-looks-again-to-cleanse-walking-street/

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 8:54 AM, webfact said:

something quite different to what Pattaya has been famous for since WW2

WW2

:cheesy:

Has the author been smoking something with fact distorting properties?

Keep in mind that Walking Street was only "walking" from 7pm to midnight.
Plenty of vehicle and foot traffic there all day long and after midnight. Without knife and gun fights.
You could almost set your watch by it at night, as you'd be sitting there having a drink and suddenly there'd be a wave of baht buses and moto taxis pushing their way down the street (slowly) trolling for customers and you knew it was midnight. (And time to switch beer googles if still sitting alone.)

On rare occasions they'd allow certain vehicles there in the evenings. We've parked the Harleys in a long row almost the length of Walking Street during charity events. (Rare as in I've done it twice in 12 years but I may not have been around for, or just missed, other events.)

Back in "the day" we used to park on Soi Diamond outside of a go-go one of our friends owned. After the bars actually closed (sometimes not until 3-3:30 am), we'd move down to a restaurant owned by another friend (as we could still access the bathroom). Great fun watching the goings on after the bars closed. Sometimes we'd still be there when it started getting light again.

Strange though, never saw or heard of any knife/gun fights there ever ! Maybe they only happened when we weren't around. Possible as we weren't there every night. Well, some of us were as they had to be.  

Now if this was downtown LA or New York or Detroit then yeah, there may be problems. But not likely in Thailand (unless you are a mototaxi driver and insult someone else of course).