Agents in Phnom Penh for ED visa?

Hello,

Do you know a good agent in Phnom Penh to pick up my passport at my hotel and go to the Thai Embassy for me?

I am planning to arrive in Thailand in 2021 when the borders open up...

And: does Phnom Penh's Thai Embassy has a proof of fund requirement to get the ED visa? Because the Paris Thai Embassy is asking me for 10,000 EUR, which I don't have...

I'm married to a Thai Woman, so if the ED visa is not possible in Phnom Penh, the same questions apply on it (plan B).

Thank you ❤️

Hope you are well.

Alex

I don't think the embassy is issuing any visas at this time unless it is to get a certificate of entry for those that qualify.

If you were able to get the visa now it would be expired by the time you able to enter the country.

If married to a Thai you can get a single entry non-o visa. You could also enter now by applying for a certificate of entry at the embassy based upon being married to a Thai.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think the embassy is issuing any visas at this time unless it is to get a certificate of entry for those that qualify.

If you were able to get the visa now it would be expired by the time you able to enter the country.

If married to a Thai you can get a single entry non-o visa. You could also enter now by applying for a certificate of entry at the embassy based upon being married to a Thai.

Thank you ubonjoe,

I will arrive in 2021. And only once the borders will be opened again. Please don't keep the virus in mind in your answer and, if you want to answer me again, please do so by doing like if there was no virus anymore.

My question is about if Phnom Penh can get me an ED visa. I will arrive on an exempt stamp (I'm French). I plan to go to Cambodia or Laos to get the ED visa with the paperwork provided by the school.

I just want to know if I can do the ED visa in Phnom Penh or if I need to do it in Laos where I used to get my "marriage" visas for 4 years. But I have never tried Cambodia.

Because I read that in Cambodia, where I have never been, an agent can take and bring your passport back from your hotel, instead of going yourself to the Embassy, or to Laos and waiting 2 hours under the sun with 130 people in queue in front of me.

I hope it makes senses.

And also, if you know any "officially" reliable agents in Phnom Penh to do that, either for ED or "marriage" visa.

I know you are the best in answering visa questions on this forum. I hope you can answer me.

Take Care ???? 

Edited by alexlm

9 minutes ago, alexlm said:

I just want to know if I can do the ED visa in Phnom Penh or if I need to do it in Laos where I used to get my "marriage" visas for 4 years. But I have never tried Cambodia.

There have been reports in the past (6 months ago) about non-ed visas requiring you to do them in person. Things may of changed by the time you apply for it. I cannot recall the names of any agents there.

It might be best to get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet or Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam based upon marriage. You can attend school with one.

Phnom Penh has been known as quite strict and there's very little if anything that agents can do to help. While it's hard to predict what they (or any other Thai embassy for that matter) will be like next year, I wouldn't go there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexlm said:

I will arrive in 2021. And only once the borders will be opened

Keep in mind that no one knows when the borders will open.  They may even be closed through out 2021.

Since you are married to a Thai you can come here now if get the proper visa and jump through all the hoops. 

• Like 1

I found a school that would allow me to stay for one year without having to go to Immigration more than one time.

I don't have the 400k for the one year extension in Thailand based on marriage.

But if I chose to get a "marriage" visa, I was hoping to being able to go to Cambodia because I have never been.

And read that an agent can take care of your passport and you don't need to go to the Embassy in the case of a single-entry marriage visa.

But maybe it is not the case anymore?

And I don't know any reliable name of agents in Cambodia yet.

Edited by alexlm

1 hour ago, alexlm said:

I found a school that would allow me to stay for one year without having to go to Immigration more than one time.

I don't have the 400k for the one year extension in Thailand based on marriage.

But if I chose to get a "marriage" visa, I was hoping to being able to go to Cambodia because I have never been.

And read that an agent can take care of your passport and you don't need to go to the Embassy in the case of a single-entry marriage visa.

But maybe it is not the case anymore?

And I don't know any reliable name of agents in Cambodia yet.

Lucky Lucky on Monivong will handle any visa IF its possible.

You could call and ask,  Phone: 855-23-212788

BUT dont count on anything right now

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Lucky Lucky on Monivong will handle any visa IF its possible.

You could call and ask,  Phone: 855-23-212788

BUT dont count on anything right now

Thank you very much.

I will send an email to them to get some info.

Yes. I know. Right now with the virus, I'm not going anywhere.

And: my Thai Wife still has to finish her job diploma in France before we can go back so it won't be until April 2021. Hoping the borders will be open by then... if not, then It will be more complicated and I will need to do some kind of extensions I guess with all that process for people married to a Thai Citizen...

But thanks for the reminder.

And thanks for the reference.

Hope you are well. And your relatives too...

Take Care 

Alex

Edited by alexlm

If I choose the ED visa route:

My school offers 7,000 THB trip to Vientiane, all included, with fast tracking at the Embassy to apply. No waiting time...

So that would be fine.

BUT

If I choose the Non-o "marriage" visa single entry:

I would really love to try Cambodia.

I read that you have higher chances of success if you use an agents than if you bother going to the Phnom Penh Embassy yourself.

But I read that maybe 3 years ago.

So did it change since and now there is only Laos? Is Cambodia finished?

And what about waiting after New years? For what? Will it change again regarding Cambodia agents?

You don't need an agent for an Education ED Visa, at least not if it's a legitimate school or university. If it's a scam school using the course as a front for being a visa mill the embassies and consulates have been put on "alert" to sniff them out. This isn't a rumor btw, I have two uni friends working at different Thai Embassies in Europe who confirmed to me this notice was circulated worldwide. Not saying it's impossible when corruption is involved.

As far as the Embassy in Paris is involved I'm surprised about the 10,000 EUR requirement. Could be part of the new crackdown on ED-Visas that is selectively enforced. Back in 2016 when I did my last ED Visa as a student at Thammasat University the Embassy in Berlin didn't bat an eye and the account statement showed maybe ~ 3000 EUR max. I supplied a copy of my credit card statement though that showed a decent limit. They even issued me a 1Y/ME despite several other embassies and consulates telling me those were no longer issued and I'd have to get a 3M/SE one amended at Immigration.

1 hour ago, alexlm said:

My school offers 7,000 THB trip to Vientiane, all included, with fast tracking at the Embassy to apply. No waiting time...

So that would be fine.

Sounds like a good plan. 

1 hour ago, alexlm said:

BUT

If I choose the Non-o "marriage" visa single entry:

I would really love to try Cambodia.

I read that you have higher chances of success if you use an agents than if you bother going to the Phnom Penh Embassy yourself.

But I read that maybe 3 years ago.

So did it change since and now there is only Laos? Is Cambodia finished?

And what about waiting after New years? For what? Will it change again regarding Cambodia agents?

If you want to visit Cambodia, go for it (when you can, again) - but don't go there with some tie-in to getting a Visa from the Thai Consulate there.  There is a service in the Lucky-Lucky Moto Shop, but it's not like when they got carte-blanche.  Eveidently, the consul now gets better offers from those who want to STOP Visas, than from his old agent-partners. 

If you want a visa based on marriage, you want to go to Savannakhet or HCMC - or is single-entry only, Vientiane is OK (with pre-booked appointment for the latter).  What is needed to obtain one at those locations is clear - though I would watch for the first post-Covid reports, to ensure no change. 

There is absolutely no reason to get a Visa in PP, where the outcome is unknown at best.

As to what will change "after new years" - why/how would anyone here have a clue?  The best we can do at any consulate or immigration-office in-country, is look at recent reports here, in order to get an indication of what the ever-changing rules are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexlm said:

So that would be fine.

That kind of plan comes with quite a catch nowadays. Did your school also tell you when the border will reopen, what the entry requirements in both Laos and Thailand will be? For all we know, it could happen tomorrow or in two years time...

6 hours ago, zzzzz said:

you cant get into Lao or Cambodia now< Your school cant offer ANYTHING now
after the new years hopefully things will change

I have said several times already that I will be back in Thailand from France with my Wife only when the borders open. Even though I'm married and could be back now.

The school is amazing.

5 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

You don't need an agent for an Education ED Visa, at least not if it's a legitimate school or university. If it's a scam school using the course as a front for being a visa mill the embassies and consulates have been put on "alert" to sniff them out. This isn't a rumor btw, I have two uni friends working at different Thai Embassies in Europe who confirmed to me this notice was circulated worldwide. Not saying it's impossible when corruption is involved.

As far as the Embassy in Paris is involved I'm surprised about the 10,000 EUR requirement. Could be part of the new crackdown on ED-Visas that is selectively enforced. Back in 2016 when I did my last ED Visa as a student at Thammasat University the Embassy in Berlin didn't bat an eye and the account statement showed maybe ~ 3000 EUR max. I supplied a copy of my credit card statement though that showed a decent limit. They even issued me a 1Y/ME despite several other embassies and consulates telling me those were no longer issued and I'd have to get a 3M/SE one amended at Immigration.

Thank you for your contribution ❤️ 

Well I guess my school uses corruption because there are "special arrangements" with immigration so that I just have to go to the immigration one time per year just to do a face picture... And I will pay the immigration 5K THB 3 times per year...

I won't be able to get the ED visa from France. Paris Embassy is known to be VERY strict and hardcore... I don't have 10K EUR... I don't even have 1K EUR...

This is why I need to enter Thailand on the visa exemption scheme. And then a business separated from the school but with whom they have a partnership will take me to Laos and fast-track me in case of a long queue of waiting... + all included transport, hotel, food and passport pick up.

I'm handicapped in many ways this is why I'm trying to find a visa solution that requires the less travelling and the less going to immigration.

Another option is for me to get a marriage visa as I used to do in 2017 in Laos.

But I read that in Phnom Penh it's easier because an agent go to the Thai Embassy for you and you don't need to leave your hotel. It was even recommended NOT to go by yourself to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh because it was described as even harder.

But I read this on this forum I guess 3 years ago so maybe things have changed in Phnom Penh since?

Can't I get a single entry marriage visa through an agent anymore there??

I also don't have 400k THB so I can not do the one year marriage extension...

3 to 4 years ago I went to Pattaya Immigration in Jomtien with a letter of income from my Embassy (it's 40K per month right?). The Pattaya extension "boss woman" turned me down, she hid the first requirement list that was on her desk, and then she pulled out another similar document from below her desk and showed to me that they accept only the 400K now, and not the income letter... or maybe it is because I was 24 years old and they didn't trust me? What do you think? Well now it won't change much I'm 27... unless they changed their policy back to the official Thai Immigration policies?

4 years ago I tried at Sri Racha and there they accepted my Embassy income letter.

But when I come back I will live in Pattaya City, while before I was in Chonburi City.

So I think now I will HAVE TO go to Jomtien and Sri Racha would not be an option anymore?

What do you think?

Thanks

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Sounds like a good plan. 

If you want to visit Cambodia, go for it (when you can, again) - but don't go there with some tie-in to getting a Visa from the Thai Consulate there.  There is a service in the Lucky-Lucky Moto Shop, but it's not like when they got carte-blanche.  Eveidently, the consul now gets better offers from those who want to STOP Visas, than from his old agent-partners. 

If you want a visa based on marriage, you want to go to Savannakhet or HCMC - or is single-entry only, Vientiane is OK (with pre-booked appointment for the latter).  What is needed to obtain one at those locations is clear - though I would watch for the first post-Covid reports, to ensure no change. 

There is absolutely no reason to get a Visa in PP, where the outcome is unknown at best.

As to what will change "after new years" - why/how would anyone here have a clue?  The best we can do at any consulate or immigration-office in-country, is look at recent reports here, in order to get an indication of what the ever-changing rules are.

Thank you.

When you say "sounds like a good plan". Is it irony or do you agree for real? I have Autism so please I don't understand irony or recognize it very well.

Thank you, you teach me that the Phnom Penh agents system that was available a few years back is gone. So now I know. Thanks.

I don't understand your paragraph where you say "pre booked appointments".

Do I need an appointment now in Vientiane?

In 2017 I didn't need some prebooked appointments?

I don't understand the paragraph. Sorry.

For how to know what will change after the new year, you are actually agreeing with me. We can't know. I was answering and asking to another poster why he said he knew what was going to happen after the new year and what was that all about.

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

That kind of plan comes with quite a catch nowadays. Did your school also tell you when the border will reopen, what the entry requirements in both Laos and Thailand will be? For all we know, it could happen tomorrow or in two years time...

I have said MANY times that I'm actually waiting for the borders to reopen before coming back into Thailand. Even though I could come now with my Wife...

The school didn't tell me when the borders would reopen, why do you think they would know that??

When I used to go to Vientiane in solo I paid a similar price anyway so it doesn't change anything.

7 minutes ago, alexlm said:

I have said MANY times that I'm actually waiting for the borders to reopen before coming back into Thailand. Even though I could come now with my Wife...

The school didn't tell me when the borders would reopen, why do you think they would know that??

When I used to go to Vientiane in solo I paid a similar price anyway so it doesn't change anything.

I think you little bit out of touch. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alexlm said:

The thing is that reopening the borders might not be such a binary thing, "open" or "closed". We've seen that already, actually. While I realize that you plan this for the post coronavirus future, it's not unlikely that many regulations we've been used to will change. So when you quote a price for a visa run from the past - it's just that. That option might never exist again.

• Like 2

Thank you.

When you say "sounds like a good plan". Is it irony or do you agree for real? I have Autism so please I don't understand irony or recognize it very well.

I mean it literally - definitely use a School that handles EVERYTHING, including the 90-day extensions.  Immigration prefer it that way (~3K Baht cash in their pocket for each extension).  If they handle the visa-run also, great (though I hate those vans - would prefer a VIP Bus with legroom).

Thank you, you teach me that the Phnom Penh agents system that was available a few years back is gone. So now I know. Thanks.

Not "gone" - but not nearly what they were before.  You may be asked to attend in-person after they submit - or not.  But if married to a Thai, the marriage-visa route (assuming ME still available after all this) is easier.  I've done a couple of those - no problems at all (pre-covid, of course).

I don't understand your paragraph where you say "pre booked appointments".

Do I need an appointment now in Vientiane?

In 2017 I didn't need some prebooked appointments?

I don't understand the paragraph. Sorry.

Yes - things have changed - you have to register in-advance for appointments now at Vientiane (not Savannakhet or HCMC).  Though some report expensive payoffs with touts gets you in, I would register.  Only ever get a single-entry there, though.

For how to know what will change after the new year, you are actually agreeing with me. We can't know. I was answering and asking to another poster why he said he knew what was going to happen after the new year and what was that all about.

Yes - we just don't know.  3 days ago, Bali was saying they would open up in Sept - now reversed the story - which is a bummer - looks like Turkey is the closest option in Sept for me again, now.  But there is a pile of money on the table, for the 1st SE Asian nation to let us come and spend our money there, if Thailand gives us the boot in Sept, as seems likely.

• Thanks 1

@ubonjoe

@JackThompson

And everyone else...

Thank you for your help.

A last thing to sum up:

Could you confirm what I understood from all of this? :

We just need to wait and see the new regulations? Then make new plans once it's out there? Is that it?

I could come back now with my Thai Wife (right?) but I want to wait 2021.

But we need to wait for the new regulations, for both my options? Which are: ED visa and one-year marriage extension?

Also, why do you think the extension "boss" woman in Pattaya refused my Embassy income letter, hid the official requirements paper that was on her desk and took another one out just for me from under her desk? She said the letter was not an option anymore and the new paper she showed just for me just had the embassy letter line hidden/strikethroughed under pen ink......

Can I go and try at Sri Racha immigration who once did my one year extension based on the letter? Even if this time I live near Pattaya?

And I read in this forum that this Pattaya extension "boss" refused the extension letter and didn't want a direct bribe, and that I needed to find a Pattaya agent. I was even specifically told to go inside the copy place next to Jomtien immigration and there would be an agent inside there who could arrange it with the extension woman, for a fee of about 20k? She just didn't want to get the money directly... could that be true?

Another agent told me that I could arrange something similar for about 20k but only if I had a child with my Wife... which I don't have (yet ^^).

What do you think of all that?

Thanks ❤️ 

Take Care 

Alex

Edited by alexlm

1 hour ago, alexlm said:

Also, why do you think the extension "boss" woman in Pattaya refused my Embassy income letter, hid the official requirements paper that was on her desk and took another one out just for me from under her desk? She said the letter was not an option anymore and the new paper she showed just for me just had the embassy letter line hidden/strikethroughed under pen ink......

Corruption.  Very, very corrupt there for marriage and 'change of visa type'.  Local-offices are permitted by immigration-headquarters to "make up fake rules" to drive up agent-money, which is passed up to the higher-ups. 

But retirement and TR extensions at Jomtien are not reported to be a problem.  I was treated ok there for TR extensions; only when I got married I saw the dark/gangster side of things.

Can I go and try at Sri Racha immigration who once did my one year extension based on the letter? Even if this time I live near Pattaya?

They will almost certainly tell you you must use the office for your area.  As well, they are reported to be about as un-friendly, in a report I read recently.

And I read in this forum that this Pattaya extension "boss" refused the extension letter and didn't want a direct bribe, and that I needed to find a Pattaya agent. I was even specifically told to go inside the copy place next to Jomtien immigration and there would be an agent inside there who could arrange it with the extension woman, for a fee of about 20k? She just didn't want to get the money directly... could that be true?

Yes.  I would guess the availability of small recording-devices makes them more paranoid, so they only deal with their agent-partners - "made men" would be the mafia-term.

Another agent told me that I could arrange something similar for about 20k but only if I had a child with my Wife... which I don't have (yet ^^).

The way the faked agent-money works -  the agent puts the money in and out of your account on the same day - obtaining a "bank-statement" letter on that day, showing the higher-balance.  The IO then "overlooks" the lack of proof the money was there for 2 mo-before.

But for Thai-family-based (unlike 'retirement'), there is a "District-Level" approval sign-off required.  The district-level guy also wants his payoff for "overlooking' the money-seasoning (and other made-up requirements) - usually adding another 10K Baht or so to the agent-cost.  This service is only available via agents or lawyers who are corruption-partners with that district-official.

Because w/ a Thai child, you don't need to "season" the 400K in the bank for 2 months (you do for marriage-based), the agent-money in/out of your account in one-day is enough to get the extension, w/o the "district-level" guy needing to "overlook" anything.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alexlm said:

Also, why do you think the extension "boss" woman in Pattaya refused my Embassy income letter, hid the official requirements paper that was on her desk and took another one out just for me from under her desk?

You apparently were trying to apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration.

The way to avoid that desk is to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage prior to entering the country.

19 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Corruption.  Very, very corrupt there for marriage and 'change of visa type'.  Local-offices are permitted by immigration-headquarters to "make up fake rules" to drive up agent-money, which is passed up to the higher-ups. 

But retirement and TR extensions at Jomtien are not reported to be a problem.  I was treated ok there for TR extensions; only when I got married I saw the dark/gangster side of things.

They will almost certainly tell you you must use the office for your area.  As well, they are reported to be about as un-friendly, in a report I read recently.

Yes.  I would guess the availability of small recording-devices makes them more paranoid, so they only deal with their agent-partners - "made men" would be the mafia-term.

The way the faked agent-money works -  the agent puts the money in and out of your account on the same day - obtaining a "bank-statement" letter on that day, showing the higher-balance.  The IO then "overlooks" the lack of proof the money was there for 2 mo-before.

But for Thai-family-based (unlike 'retirement'), there is a "District-Level" approval sign-off required.  The district-level guy also wants his payoff for "overlooking' the money-seasoning (and other made-up requirements) - usually adding another 10K Baht or so to the agent-cost.  This service is only available via agents or lawyers who are corruption-partners with that district-official.

Because w/ a Thai child, you don't need to "season" the 400K in the bank for 2 months (you do for marriage-based), the agent-money in/out of your account in one-day is enough to get the extension, w/o the "district-level" guy needing to "overlook" anything.

Thank you for your great detailed answer ❤️ 

I understand we can't predict the future rules after covid. But let's say that if it was similar:

If I arrive with a 3 months "marriage" visa. And want to do the one year extension with my proof of income from the Embassy. I have to find an agent? Possibly in the "copy place"? In order to get accepted by the extensions Woman?

What do you think?

Thank you again.

PS: you are right, Sri Racha immigration is a mess. But at least they accepted my Embassy income letter. But I had to go there with my rich condo owner to get it sorted out. Because the first time I went there they fined me for not doing a TM30 report and he refused to give me a tourist extension... TM30: I didn't know it even existed at this time after 2 years in Thailand... and that boss called 2 guys to throw me out of his office while I was just sitting there and not doing any trouble...

I just need to find a way for Jomtien Immigration to accept my income letter.

Edited by alexlm

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You apparently were trying to apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration.

The way to avoid that desk is to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage prior to entering the country.

I had a single entry non-o visa from Vientiane.

But the extension woman refused the Embassy letter.

But in Sri Racha they accepted it.

If I arrive with a 3 months "marriage" visa. And want to do the one year extension with my proof of income from the Embassy. I have to find an agent? Possibly in the "copy place"? In order to get accepted by the extensions Woman?

That eliminates the 'change of visa' corruption-problem (15K Baht).  Whether you can get past the family-visa desk is another question.  Be sure to have everything on UJ's "general" list for marriage-extensions, plus proof of the source of your income (in addition to the embassy-letter), plus from your landlord - signed by-him copies of:
 - Your rental-contract
 - His Thai ID
 - His House-Book

- The House Book for where you are renting

- The Chanote (proof of ownership) for where you are living

I just need to find a way for Jomtien Immigration to accept my income letter.

FYI: When I was denied an extension there (multiple attempts), it was for unobtainim landlord-docs, requirements for which changed each time I tried to apply - not for my embassy-income-letter.  I was denied on income-letter at another office, because it was "Not a State Pension Source."  No way to predict - can only try. 

• Thanks 1