Jump to content
BANGKOK
FredLee

Bank Letters for Retirement Extensions

Recommended Posts

I have seen various reports on what letters or documentation of income are required by Chiang Mai immigration. I am hoping someone with recent experience can help me out. I am using the monthly deposit from the US. What I have seen so far on TV is that I need a certificate of account ownership, and a bank letter showing 13 months of international transfers. I use Bangkok bank branch at Mee Chok plaza. I called them because last year they new exactly what I needed, but this time sounded they sounded unsure, and said it would take two weeks to get the 12 month deposit letter. I appreciate any information provided. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bangkok Bank should be able to provide the letter in a few days if not immediately during your visit.  At least that's how it was for me as recently as last month.  I have them print out a 13 month statement which can take several days to get from Bangkok besides having them issue the official letter.  

 

Also, make sure you get the correct letter from them.  One is for a year's monthly deposits and the other is to certify you've had 800k deposited for at least two months.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, stargazer9999 said:

Also, make sure you get the correct letter from them.  One is for a year's monthly deposits and the other is to certify you've had 800k deposited for at least two months.

One letter will have 12 individual figures on it, relating to each month's deposit, the other will have ONE figure on it, hopefully exceeding 800k. You only need one or the other....not both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got 12 from the Silom branch in bkk. I think it is the main office here.

I was directed to the desk that handles the credit advice print outs.

Since I was asking for more than 6 months back, they charged 600 baht.

They were able to do it in an hour or so.

I got the account owner letter from the bkk bank near the immigration office on the day I went.

Not sure if they have that in CM thou.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

I got 12 from the Silom branch in bkk. I think it is the main office here.

I was directed to the desk that handles the credit advice print outs.

Since I was asking for more than 6 months back, they charged 600 baht.

They were able to do it in an hour or so.

I got the account owner letter from the bkk bank near the immigration office on the day I went.

Not sure if they have that in CM thou.

Good luck.

600 Baht.  Sounds like extortion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine two weeks ago from the Meechok branch. Took 6 days to get from BKK. Cost 200 Bt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all for the helpful information. I appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did my extension last month. I went to my BBK branch 1 day prior to going to immigration. I asked for the letter and a 12 month statement. They said it would take 3-5 business days to get the 12 month statement as they could only provide a 6 month one immediately.

 

Since I made an appointment with immigration I decided to take my chance with the 6 month statement.

 

I provided both to immigration the next day, the letter and the 6 month statement. The IO who was processing me looked at both my 6 month statement and my bank book for several minutes and then showed it to a senior officer who looked at it for a few minutes and said 'ok'.

 

I thought I was about to have an issue with only having a 6 month statement instead of a 12 month one but it appears they accepted it.

 

I guess next year so there won't be any questions I'll go a few weeks earlier to the bank and request a 12 month statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, stouricks said:
19 hours ago, stargazer9999 said:

Also, make sure you get the correct letter from them.  One is for a year's monthly deposits and the other is to certify you've had 800k deposited for at least two months.

One letter will have 12 individual figures on it, relating to each month's deposit, the other will have ONE figure on it, hopefully exceeding 800k. You only need one or the other....not both.

 

Thanks.

 

For the 800K route ... 

 

I take that letter and assuming, a copy/print outs of my bankbook pages (and the original bankbook) showing that I had 400 K in account for 7 months, between the 5 months of 800K in account.  Just getting ducks in row for October. Thanks again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to learn from this thread. Last year I got caught in the TransferWise shift to SCB Bank as the intermediary bank for all their transfers so my transfers in July 2019 showed as "domestic transfers". I had unfortunately waited until the last week before my extension expired, so chasing down a letter from SCB showing they'd received the funds from abroad and transferred them to Bangkok Bank (where my account is), took a full day, and by the time I got their letter, my extension had expired 48 hours before, and Chiang Wattana Immigration refused to look at it as I was on an overstay. I had to leave the country and apply for a new retirement (Non-OA) visa at the Thai embassy in Washington, and start over again when I came back. This year I've made sure all fund transfers are for "long-Term Stay in Thailand" and they show up as "International Transfers". I don't transfer the same amount every month, and in several months I've done 2-3 transfers- all totaling 65,000+/month. This means that the letter from Bangkok Bank listing the international transfers is longer and harder to check (my fault), but that's what it will be. I also get credit advices from the bank for each of those transfers as back-up. I have moved to Pattaya and it seems like Chonburi Immigration is less intimidating and less unfriendly as Chiang Wattana was, so wish me luck when I go there next week. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bangkok Basha,

Please report back next week about Jomtien Immigration reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

Good to learn from this thread. Last year I got caught in the TransferWise shift to SCB Bank as the intermediary bank for all their transfers so my transfers in July 2019 showed as "domestic transfers". I had unfortunately waited until the last week before my extension expired, so chasing down a letter from SCB showing they'd received the funds from abroad and transferred them to Bangkok Bank (where my account is), took a full day, and by the time I got their letter, my extension had expired 48 hours before, and Chiang Wattana Immigration refused to look at it as I was on an overstay. I had to leave the country and apply for a new retirement (Non-OA) visa at the Thai embassy in Washington, and start over again when I came back. This year I've made sure all fund transfers are for "long-Term Stay in Thailand" and they show up as "International Transfers". I don't transfer the same amount every month, and in several months I've done 2-3 transfers- all totaling 65,000+/month. This means that the letter from Bangkok Bank listing the international transfers is longer and harder to check (my fault), but that's what it will be. I also get credit advices from the bank for each of those transfers as back-up. I have moved to Pattaya and it seems like Chonburi Immigration is less intimidating and less unfriendly as Chiang Wattana was, so wish me luck when I go there next week. 

I provided C-W an "Immigration Bank Letter" from CitiBank Bangkok summarizing my monthly foreign wire transfers. Charge for a CitiBank letter summarizing 12 monthly transfers is 2,000 baht. CitiBank said this letter was approved by Immigration to meet visa income method needs. 

IO rejected the letter saying it did not provide detailed information (?) for each transfer. IO referenced Kadiskorn Bank's Credit Advice Receipt as an example of wire details for a transfer (free to bank client as well as letter).

Back to CitiBank Bangkok (with whom I am not a client) to issue me Confirmation Letters for each transfer that details order and routing for the international transfers. Cost is an additional 200 baht each. So total cost for Letter and 12 individual Confirmation Letters is 4,400 baht. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

 

Thanks.

 

For the 800K route ... 

 

I take that letter and assuming, a copy/print outs of my bankbook pages (and the original bankbook) showing that I had 400 K in account for 7 months, between the 5 months of 800K in account.  Just getting ducks in row for October. Thanks again.

If you're going to Chiang Mai Immigration they now also want to see a 12 month statement when using the 800k route. The reason being that bank books don't update transaction by transaction, so it would be possible to work around the monetary requirements this way. Whereas a statement shows every transaction, and the IO at CM thoroughly checked my statement to ensure that those requirements were met.  Depending on which bank you use you may be able to go online and print a 12 month statement yourself, I know that's what I do with TMB Bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...