Bank Letters for Retirement Extensions

FredLee

I have seen various reports on what letters or documentation of income are required by Chiang Mai immigration. I am hoping someone with recent experience can help me out. I am using the monthly deposit from the US. What I have seen so far on TV is that I need a certificate of account ownership, and a bank letter showing 13 months of international transfers. I use Bangkok bank branch at Mee Chok plaza. I called them because last year they new exactly what I needed, but this time sounded they sounded unsure, and said it would take two weeks to get the 12 month deposit letter. I appreciate any information provided. Thanks.

Bangkok Bank should be able to provide the letter in a few days if not immediately during your visit.  At least that's how it was for me as recently as last month.  I have them print out a 13 month statement which can take several days to get from Bangkok besides having them issue the official letter.  

Also, make sure you get the correct letter from them.  One is for a year's monthly deposits and the other is to certify you've had 800k deposited for at least two months.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, stargazer9999 said:

Also, make sure you get the correct letter from them.  One is for a year's monthly deposits and the other is to certify you've had 800k deposited for at least two months.

One letter will have 12 individual figures on it, relating to each month's deposit, the other will have ONE figure on it, hopefully exceeding 800k. You only need one or the other....not both.

I got 12 from the Silom branch in bkk. I think it is the main office here.

I was directed to the desk that handles the credit advice print outs.

Since I was asking for more than 6 months back, they charged 600 baht.

They were able to do it in an hour or so.

I got the account owner letter from the bkk bank near the immigration office on the day I went.

Not sure if they have that in CM thou.

Good luck.

41 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

I got 12 from the Silom branch in bkk. I think it is the main office here.

I was directed to the desk that handles the credit advice print outs.

Since I was asking for more than 6 months back, they charged 600 baht.

They were able to do it in an hour or so.

I got the account owner letter from the bkk bank near the immigration office on the day I went.

Not sure if they have that in CM thou.

Good luck.

600 Baht.  Sounds like extortion.

• Like 1

I did my extension last month. I went to my BBK branch 1 day prior to going to immigration. I asked for the letter and a 12 month statement. They said it would take 3-5 business days to get the 12 month statement as they could only provide a 6 month one immediately.

Since I made an appointment with immigration I decided to take my chance with the 6 month statement.

I provided both to immigration the next day, the letter and the 6 month statement. The IO who was processing me looked at both my 6 month statement and my bank book for several minutes and then showed it to a senior officer who looked at it for a few minutes and said 'ok'.

I thought I was about to have an issue with only having a 6 month statement instead of a 12 month one but it appears they accepted it.

I guess next year so there won't be any questions I'll go a few weeks earlier to the bank and request a 12 month statement.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stouricks said:
19 hours ago, stargazer9999 said:

One letter will have 12 individual figures on it, relating to each month's deposit, the other will have ONE figure on it, hopefully exceeding 800k. You only need one or the other....not both.

Thanks.

For the 800K route ... 

I take that letter and assuming, a copy/print outs of my bankbook pages (and the original bankbook) showing that I had 400 K in account for 7 months, between the 5 months of 800K in account.  Just getting ducks in row for October. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Good to learn from this thread. Last year I got caught in the TransferWise shift to SCB Bank as the intermediary bank for all their transfers so my transfers in July 2019 showed as "domestic transfers". I had unfortunately waited until the last week before my extension expired, so chasing down a letter from SCB showing they'd received the funds from abroad and transferred them to Bangkok Bank (where my account is), took a full day, and by the time I got their letter, my extension had expired 48 hours before, and Chiang Wattana Immigration refused to look at it as I was on an overstay. I had to leave the country and apply for a new retirement (Non-OA) visa at the Thai embassy in Washington, and start over again when I came back. This year I've made sure all fund transfers are for "long-Term Stay in Thailand" and they show up as "International Transfers". I don't transfer the same amount every month, and in several months I've done 2-3 transfers- all totaling 65,000+/month. This means that the letter from Bangkok Bank listing the international transfers is longer and harder to check (my fault), but that's what it will be. I also get credit advices from the bank for each of those transfers as back-up. I have moved to Pattaya and it seems like Chonburi Immigration is less intimidating and less unfriendly as Chiang Wattana was, so wish me luck when I go there next week. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

Good to learn from this thread. Last year I got caught in the TransferWise shift to SCB Bank as the intermediary bank for all their transfers so my transfers in July 2019 showed as "domestic transfers". I had unfortunately waited until the last week before my extension expired, so chasing down a letter from SCB showing they'd received the funds from abroad and transferred them to Bangkok Bank (where my account is), took a full day, and by the time I got their letter, my extension had expired 48 hours before, and Chiang Wattana Immigration refused to look at it as I was on an overstay. I had to leave the country and apply for a new retirement (Non-OA) visa at the Thai embassy in Washington, and start over again when I came back. This year I've made sure all fund transfers are for "long-Term Stay in Thailand" and they show up as "International Transfers". I don't transfer the same amount every month, and in several months I've done 2-3 transfers- all totaling 65,000+/month. This means that the letter from Bangkok Bank listing the international transfers is longer and harder to check (my fault), but that's what it will be. I also get credit advices from the bank for each of those transfers as back-up. I have moved to Pattaya and it seems like Chonburi Immigration is less intimidating and less unfriendly as Chiang Wattana was, so wish me luck when I go there next week. 

I provided C-W an "Immigration Bank Letter" from CitiBank Bangkok summarizing my monthly foreign wire transfers. Charge for a CitiBank letter summarizing 12 monthly transfers is 2,000 baht. CitiBank said this letter was approved by Immigration to meet visa income method needs. 

IO rejected the letter saying it did not provide detailed information (?) for each transfer. IO referenced Kadiskorn Bank's Credit Advice Receipt as an example of wire details for a transfer (free to bank client as well as letter).

Back to CitiBank Bangkok (with whom I am not a client) to issue me Confirmation Letters for each transfer that details order and routing for the international transfers. Cost is an additional 200 baht each. So total cost for Letter and 12 individual Confirmation Letters is 4,400 baht. 

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Thanks.

For the 800K route ... 

I take that letter and assuming, a copy/print outs of my bankbook pages (and the original bankbook) showing that I had 400 K in account for 7 months, between the 5 months of 800K in account.  Just getting ducks in row for October. Thanks again.

If you're going to Chiang Mai Immigration they now also want to see a 12 month statement when using the 800k route. The reason being that bank books don't update transaction by transaction, so it would be possible to work around the monetary requirements this way. Whereas a statement shows every transaction, and the IO at CM thoroughly checked my statement to ensure that those requirements were met.  Depending on which bank you use you may be able to go online and print a 12 month statement yourself, I know that's what I do with TMB Bank.

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I asked for the letter and a 12 month statement. They said it would take 3-5 business days to get the 12 month statement as they could only provide a 6 month one immediately.

This was my experience at Bangkok Bank Buriram back in February. Why they won't print out a 12 month, like they can with a 6 month seems dubious to me. I get the feeling they delay this statement on purpose. 

• Like 2

Just now, TigerandDog said:

f you're going to Chiang Mai Immigration they now also want to see a 12 month statement when using the 800k route.

Interesting. I take it that is NOT a letter but a expanded versions of your account bankbook, that the Bank can print out. I use BKK Bank, K.S.Gaeow branch. I assume they can do it, just might cost something extra and perhaps extra time (?)

i pick up a letter saying I have 800K in account.

I also get this "12 month statement" of my account from my BKK bank branch.

&

Print off bankbook pages, sign

Have original Bangkok Bank Acct. book handy for their perusal. 

Anything else or any details about the above?

14 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Interesting. I take it that is NOT a letter but a expanded versions of your account bankbook, that the Bank can print out. I use BKK Bank, K.S.Gaeow branch. I assume they can do it, just might cost something extra and perhaps extra time (?)

i pick up a letter saying I have 800K in account.

I also get this "12 month statement" of my account from my BKK bank branch.

&

Print off bankbook pages, sign

Have original Bangkok Bank Acct. book handy for their perusal. 

Anything else or any details about the above?

Also another question.  I am assuming that to get these letters one must go to the exact physical bank where you opened the account.  Does anybody have experience asking for the letter from the same bank company name, but in another province from where you opened the account?

Edited by OneZero

1 hour ago, Bangkok Basha said:

Hi @Bangkok Basha,

Sorry to hear that you were forced to leave the country July 2019 for something as trivial as proving the foreign origins of the monthly income transfers you did (and this resulting in you being on overstay as it took more than a week to get that evidence - which you could actually  have gotten much quicker if you only knew how).

But some interesting aspects to comment on what you wrote:

1 - You wrote that you exited Thailand and re-applied for a Non Imm O-A Visa in US.

I understand that you re-entered Thailand approx end of August / early Sept 2019, which provided you with a permission to stay till end of August / early September.

It's a pity you didn't make a quick border-run or short holiday at neighboring country in the months before the borders closed.  On re-entry that would have provided you once again with a full year permission to stay (when timed right you can squeeze almost two years of stay out of your Non Imm O-A Visa without need to apply for the 1-year extension of stay).

2 - When you apply for the 1-year extension of stay from your August 2019 issued Non Imm O-A Visa, you will only be required to provide proof of TWO months seasoning (because it is your very first application for the 1-year extension of stay from that new Visa).

So on the moment of application you need to show either that you kept +800K for at least two months on your personal thai bank-account, OR that you transferred +65K in each of the two months preceding your application (i.e. one transfer in July and one transfer in August).

Note: Some offices - incorrectly - require that you provide proof of three monthly income transfers.

3 - Your local IO might make problems that the +65K transfers in each of those two months, were not done in ONE transfer at approx same time of month.  There is nothing in the IO rules/regulations that says it has to be done like that, but it is 'more work' for the Immigration officer handling your case to figure out that you achieved the +65K tresshold in each of those months, and hence it is easier for them to say 'Cannot be done' and turn you away.  In that case, you should stand your ground and politely request to talk to the senior officer in charge.

Note: Obviously it is in your advantage that you only need to show the evidence for months of July and August so the 'more work' is relatively limited.  But be prepared to profusely excuse for having made their work 'more difficult'.

4 - In both cases (+800K or +65K method) you would have to provide evidence that the funds originated from abroad.  I have PM-ed you a document outlining how to get hold of that evidence (irrespective of which thai bank you transferred the funds to, and which method you used for the transfer, e.g. using TransferWise or other).

5 - Since you are applying for the 1-year extension of stay at Jomtien or SriRacha (Pattaya area) you will also be asked when using the +65K method to provide evidence of the SOURCE of that foreign income, e.g. a pension statement issued by your pension provider or evidence that you have regular income or evidence of a large savings sum on your foreign bank-account.  As a US-citizen the Embassy issued foreign income-statement will not be possible for you, as the US Embassy does not provide these anymore.  Some IOs (and I believe SriRacha is one of those)  will only accept a pension statement as proof of the source of your foreign income.  So once again a matter of standing your ground, when you do not receive pension and have other evidence demonstrating the source of the foreign income.

6 - Be aware that when you are applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT, that since end October 2019 you will need to provide evidence that you subscribed to a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy issued by a TGIA associated insurer.

Without this health-insurance policy your application will not be accepted.  In case you did not do this yet, just PM me and I will provide you with info on how to subscribe to the cheapest possible option for such insurance (LMG Insurance Plan 1 with a 200K deductible).  The annual premium for that policy is between 6.000 THB and 11.400 THB in the age-bracket of 51 to 75 years of age (and it does not require an expensive medical to subscribe to that policy).

Subscribing to the policy can take a couple of days, so would be important to act swiftly if your permission to stay date is already in sight.

Note: If you are married to a thai national, and apply for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of MARRIAGE (or thai dependant child), that insurance is NOT required but in that case there are other requirements that need to be met (basically providing evidence that you are still married to your thai wife).  Bonus of such marriage application is that the financial requirements to be proven are way lower (only 400K in the 2 months preceding your application OR +40K of monthly income-transfers to your personal thai bank-account).

Cheers and success! 

22 hours ago, stargazer9999 said:

Bangkok Bank should be able to provide the letter in a few days if not immediately during your visit.  At least that's how it was for me as recently as last month.  I have them print out a 13 month statement which can take several days to get from Bangkok besides having them issue the official letter.  

OP is not using the money in the bank method. He gets monthly deposits. He needs the bank letter verifying the account and bank statements for at least 12 months. Most branches only issues a 6 months bank statement, that's why the branch has to get it from head office. That takes normally 4-7 days. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

If you're going to Chiang Mai Immigration they now also want to see a 12 month statement when using the 800k route.

There will be a difference of the required proof depending on whether you keep the 800K in a Savings account, or a Fixed term deposit account.

If it's in a fixed term deposit account, there are no transactions recorded other than any interest added and tax deducted, therefore an update of your Passbook, which will bring the balance forward to the current date, should be sufficient evidence.

If the 800K is in a Savings account, then not all transactions may be registered and it's a nightmare to read through lines and sometimes pages of information, whereas a 12 month bank statement is far more easy to read by just referring to the 'balance' column, to ensure you met the financial requirements.

• Like 1

Easier to collect credit advices each month from BB and present them back to BB for the 12 months statement then they can do it on the spot- Jomtien still wants copies of all of your bankbook as well as the certificate of transfer on the day

I am aware that this is the Chang Mai forum, but I hope that my recent experience in renewing my permission to stay based upon retirement, using 12 monthly deposits, at the Nakhon Pathom Immigartion Office will be of interest and useful.

FYI…. I bank with Bangkok Bank HQ, Silom Road, Bangkok.

As a ‘belt and braces’ person who likes to cover all angles when dealing with Immigration especially, I decided to have in my ‘back pocket’ range of documents to support my application.  I would only submit those documents that the IO asked for.

1.  Letter from the bank confirming I was the holder of a foreign currency deposit account and the date/amount of foreign currency deposited each month.

2.  Copy of each page of my foreign currency deposit account passbook showing date/amount of funds received.

Note: the code shown against each deposit (I/R) is not easily read as coming from overseas even though the amount is in GBP.

3.  Copies of all 12 Credit Advice Notes (CAN) which were attached to the email sent to me by the bank on the day they received my funds from overseas – this clearly showed funds transferred via SWIFT.

4.  A bank statement for my foreign currency deposit account showing all transactions for the last 12 months.

5.  A statement from my UK bank showing my 12 monthly transfers to Thailand.

OK, may be its ‘over kill, but as I said I like to be prepared and not have to come back another day because I needed a document.

As I indicated in my earlier post (# 22), I automatically receive an email from the BKK bank informing me that my transferred funds have been received.  Attached to the email is a PDF copy of the Credit Advice Note (CAN) which clearly shows the origin of the funds and that they have been transferred from overseas by SWIFT. 

These CANs also facilitated me obtaining a letter from the bank confirming me as the holder of the foreign currency deposit account and dates/amounts deposited.

My statement from my UK bank showing my previous 12 months transfers was obtained/printed via my UK bank’s online facility.  Interestingly, I can access/print statements going back 6 years.

The ‘fun’ (if I can call it that) came when I went to BKK Bank HQ, Silom Road, Bangkok last week and asked for a statement showing the previous 12 months transaction on my account.  No problem I was informed, it will cost 200THB and I will have to collect the following day.  I asked why it cannot be printed there and then?  The cashier advised me that she only has access to the last 6 months statements and anything beyond that period she has too request the statement be printed out by a different department.  Nothing I could do but smile and grit my teeth.

Ok, so I go back home (2 hours plus on the bus).  As I arrive home I get a phone call from the bank to say that my request for the statement had been received too late in the day, so it would not be ready for me to collect the next day (Thursday).  The customer service agent apologised and said it would be ready on Friday after lunch.  As per the phone call, last Friday, I travelled back into Bangkok on the bus to collect my statement.  Another 4 hours plus getting there and back on the bus.  Great experience with the Covid-19 situation and no social distancing.

This is Thailand 4.0 ?  Really!!

Lesson learned….. Make a note in diary at 6 monthly intervals to request print out of bank statement as this can be done while you wait.  Cost 100THB a ‘shot’.

On Monday, this week, after lunch, my wife and I went to my local Immigration Office in Nakhon Pathom to apply for my extension of permission to stay, based upon retirement, using 12 monthly deposits of 65K THB. 

Apart from a receptionist and 4 IOs sitting at their desks the place was totally deserted.  The receptionist took our temperature, did a cursory check of my documentation and indicated which IO I should go to.

After a wai and smile, I sat down and handed the IO my TM7 together with copies of the required pages of my passport.  He immediately opened my passport at the photo page and put it into his desktop scanner which would have displayed on his computer screen the content of the biographical data held on the microchip that's embedded in my passport.  He then compared that information with my photo page of my passport and then obviously compared the photo on his screen with me.

He went through the application form and each copy page of my passport with a ‘fine tooth comb’ highlighting relevant dates etc.  and comparing each page with my actual passport.  No problem, so far.

He then asked how I was financially supporting my application.  I advised him the 12 monthly 65K THB/month method, and I then handed him the bank letter together with the 12 months bank statement.  Again, he went through the bank statement with a ‘magnifying glass’ highlighting each deposit.  He then asked for my passbook which I gave him, and he compared entries in the passbook against those in the bank statement.  Fine I thought.  Wrong, he then said he needed a copy of my every passbook page.  No problem, plan ‘B’ came into operation and I produced the copy which I had scanned and printed off at home.  Once again, he highlighted each of the deposits and it checked against the statement.

Great I thought, having checked the statement and my passbook he must have everything he needs to approve my request.  Again, I was wrong.  He said that the neither the statement or my passbook showed that the fund had come from overseas and that I need to provide proof that the funds had come from overseas. 

I could have sworn at that point, but somehow managed to smile and ‘grit my teeth’.  Time for plan ‘C’ to swing into action.  The 12 Credit Advice Notes (CANs) were handed over as these clearly show the amount transferred in GB, where the funds originated from (UK bank) and how it was transferred to BKK Bank via SWIFT.  As before he closely examined each CAN highlighting dates, amounts etc.

Blow me down as soon as he finished examining the CANs, he said he needed a certificate from my government confirming that I receive a government pension.  What?  This was not in my plan ‘D’, or a requirement in the Police Regulations. 

I politely explained to him that I do not have such a certificate as my income is derived from private pensions and investment dividends.  He said that I should go to my Embassy and get a letter confirming my income.  What!!! The British Embassy stopped issuing such letters 2 years ago. 

Rather than trying to argue the point it was time for plan ‘E’.  Copies of my UK bank statements which showed details of my UK income providers and my transfers to BKK Bank.  He quickly looked at the first page of the statement and handed it back.  What next?

He could have knocked me down with a feather.  He smiled and asked for 1,900THB.  I was in a state of shock but somehow managed handed over the cash.  The IO then stamped and initialled my application form and passport and then disappeared with everything into the back office.  He returned a few minutes later with my permission to stay stamp in my passport duly authorised by his senior officer.

Time to exit stage right, promptly, after a wai and a smile.

The whole process took about 50 minutes, 30 minutes to long in my opinion, but thankfully I’m good to stay for another year.  I just wonder which ‘goalpost’ they will move by this time next year?

Edited by 007 RED
Typo
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

I am aware that this is the Chang Mai forum, but I hope that my recent experience in renewing my permission to stay based upon retirement, using 12 monthly deposits, at the Nakhon Pathom Immigartion Office will be of interest and useful.

Thanks for this well written, very clear and detailed report of your experience when renewing your 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement, using the monthly income transfer method to provide evidence of meeting the financial requirements.

Luckily you were very well prepared and kudos that you managed to survive the - unfortunately very recognizable - ordeal you went through from first time.

Very useful for anybody using the monthly income transfer method and having to deal with Thai immigration 'service'.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

The whole process took about 50 minutes, 30 minutes to long in my opinion, but thankfully I’m good to stay for another year.  I just wonder which ‘goalpost’ they will move by this time next year?

I think the 800k THB in the bank would be much easier......  and less stressful 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I think the 800k THB in the bank would be much easier......  and less stressful 

That option is available to me and would have been plan 'Y' if all else failed.

FYI... There is also a plan 'Z', but I'd have to kill you if I told you what it involves :wai:

• Haha 1

Ok, went to BBK at MeeChok this morning. As I started to explain what I wanted, she interrupted me to ask "Is this for Immigration?" When I said yes, and I was using the monthly deposit she knew exactly what I needed. She updated my bank book, then provided a letter certifying that the account was in my name only and showing the current balance. She also provided another letter showing each of the monthly deposit dates and amounts from August 14 last year to August 13 this year, listed in two columns with the total amount of all the deposits listed at the bottom of the second column. She put a check mark in the block at the top of the letter certifying that these deposits were foreign transfers. Only took about 35 minutes, but I have an account at this branch and it was Saturday morning with me being the first customer. Hope this is what immigration wants, I suppose I will find out Monday.

I went to my bangkok bank (borsang) and asked for the letters, it took 10 minutes and I didn't have the acct there but in Rangsit, Bangkok but no problem and as the acct was a joint acct with my wife they provided a letter saying it was my acct only.  great service, very helpful and last year did the extension in lest that 20 minutes total in CM immigration.  But, since there had been changes and since the bank might change service, etc, I decided to get an account in my name only here in CM which I did.  I went to my branch and asked them how long would it take to get the three letters, acct advisory for each deposit indicating the foreign bank transfer to bangkok bank, the acct in my name only, and the 12 monthly deposits of at least 65,000 baht.  They indicated that I could pick it up in one day.  I then asked for it for the following day and asked if I could get them as soon as the bank opened in the morning.  Answer was yes.  When I showed the following morning, they didn't have the letters but within 10 minutes they printed them out.  Therefore, it seems to me they have access to all the necessary data at anytime and one shouldn't need to wait several days or a week to get the same.  When I went to CM immigration this year (May)  I spent a total of 45 minutes in the immigration office and officer laughed at all the paperwork I gave him saying "haha lots of banking!""  I laughed and said just wanted to make the immigration officers happy.  He laughed and about 5 minutes later they took my photo and gave me my passport.  No problems whatsoever.  The banks, two different branches knew the whole picture and can provide whatever the client wants.  Just ask nicely!

On 8/13/2020 at 9:49 AM, Srikcir said:

Back to CitiBank Bangkok (with whom I am not a client) to issue me Confirmation Letters for each transfer that details order and routing for the international transfers. Cost is an additional 200 baht each. So total cost for Letter and 12 individual Confirmation Letters is 4,400 baht. 

Voluntary extortion....