Bank Letters for Retirement Extensions

FredLee

On 8/13/2020 at 12:29 PM, Tanoshi said:

There will be a difference of the required proof depending on whether you keep the 800K in a Savings account, or a Fixed term deposit account.

If it's in a fixed term deposit account, there are no transactions recorded other than any interest added and tax deducted, therefore an update of your Passbook, which will bring the balance forward to the current date, should be sufficient evidence. If the 800K is in a Savings account, then not all transactions may be registered and it's a nightmare to read through lines and sometimes pages of information, whereas a 12 month bank statement is far more easy to read by just referring to the 'balance' column, to ensure you met the financial requirements.

In January I had the 800k in a fixed account for a year, so got the usual letter showing the balance as well as a copy of the bank book (after updating the same day). I'm having a big argument with a friend who says only one letter should be enough. It should, obviously, but sometimes Immigration gets a bit weird, and I was told that I needed a 2nd letter showing a year's activity, even for the fixed account. So I paid 100 baht again for a second letter, silly as it seems. (I'd heard that people sometimes doctor these things, so trust is an issue). A different friend had to do the same thing in March. Now, I don't know if my advice is good or not. We're only talking about 100 baht for the 2nd letter just to make sure. Anyone else's thoughts on this? I'll be going back again in January and might as well know how it's being done now (Chiang Mai). Thanks. 

11 hours ago, cusanus said:

In January I had the 800k in a fixed account for a year, so got the usual letter showing the balance as well as a copy of the bank book (after updating the same day). I'm having a big argument with a friend who says only one letter should be enough. It should, obviously, but sometimes Immigration gets a bit weird, and I was told that I needed a 2nd letter showing a year's activity, even for the fixed account. So I paid 100 baht again for a second letter, silly as it seems. (I'd heard that people sometimes doctor these things, so trust is an issue). A different friend had to do the same thing in March. Now, I don't know if my advice is good or not. We're only talking about 100 baht for the 2nd letter just to make sure. Anyone else's thoughts on this? I'll be going back again in January and might as well know how it's being done now (Chiang Mai). Thanks. 

I have heard when using a fixed term account, an Immigration officer also requesting additional proof of disposable income to cover living expenses (Savings account).

Although I use the Fixed term account for proof of sufficient funds (updated copy of Passbook) to meet the financial requirement for my extension application, I also update and provide copies of my Savings account passbook.

The bank (Bangkok Bank) always issue one letter confirming both the Fixed term and Savings account details and balances matching the Passbook balances for the single fee of 100 baht.

There isn't, or shouldn't be any activity with a Fixed term account, other than any interest added. That's the whole point of that type of account.

Any activity, as in deposits/withdrawals, should be from your Savings account for your general living expenses.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

My agent had me get the 12-month bank statement, as she said that some of the IOs she deals with want to see it, while others are just happy reviewing the passbook. I have a savings account, so don't know if her advice would have applied to a fixed account.... No big deal; needed a week's lead time with Bangkok Bank, plus the fee was 200bt. So, why take a chance -- being sent home to get a 12-month statement would probably ruin your day, particularly if you hadn't factored in the week's lead time needed to get that letter. Mo' is betta.

• Like 1