Manual Bike to Tour/Live from - OR not

Scaliwags66

Hey guys,

I live a pretty nomadic life as an event manager running off to events and then back home, or just traveling between my next work gig. Now there is no work. So I was thinking about just going nomadic on a motorcycle and touring Thailand and staying extended periods where ever I fancy. 

Previously, always been traveling with just a little click,  semi-auto or whatever local SE Asian country offers, and now I have a Honda PCX 150cc. Just did 2 weeks around south for 2200km on my PCX. But I see people flying past me on proper motorcycles and think, man that looks way more easy and comfortable to cover lots of ground. So I think it maybe time to jump up my game. 

Just starting to explore the idea, a used CB 500X looks like a good option. Can add some storage box/bag and have everything I want. Right now I can basically travel with everything I need with my 48L backpack between my legs on the pcx. However, if had another 40 L then I would have everything I wanted as well. ORRRR do I just get a Forza with is more comfie than mine, but prob not ideal for extended trips. 

You boys out there with more motorcycle experience have any insight? I am 6 ft 2 inches, 180lbs (188cm, 80ish-kg). 

My concerns- 

-Comfort for long hauls. Worry that some motorcyles are too forward leaning.

-Not too big a bike to make daily life in cities when not doing tours awkward or inconvenient. Or just look out of place as I roll up in some small town or just your average 711 lol. Or too heavy to park in not so great terrain. 

-Maintenance - a bike common enough to get worked on if problems

Any considerations of pro/cons and models you think might suit something like this would be much appreciated. Thank you gentleman (and ladies if there are). 

Cheers. 

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Are you in Thailand? if not forget the idea until next year.

A back pack would be fine, i used one recently plus regularly carry golf clubs, no problems as they rest on the seat so no weight

Yes, currently based in Phuket. And I would prefer not be wearing anything substantial on my back if I am going hundreds of KMs a some days, and also some extras stored conveniently. 

Honda CB500X is fairly common and hopefully not the worst bike for repairs, if it ever needs spare parts.

There was a Suzuki 650 something, might still be on bahtsold.com, with boxes already equiped around 160000 Baht.

Not sure I am allowed to mention the website??? For a good purpose.

I am actually having the same idea. Waiting for 2 alu side panniers to come for my Honda cb650F and then touring around open end.

I assume my offshore days are done, with crew changes being almost impossible to plan and execute.

7 minutes ago, Paiman said:

Honda CB500X is fairly common and hopefully not the worst bike for repairs, if it ever needs spare parts.

There was a Suzuki 650 something, might still be on bahtsold.com, with boxes already equiped around 160000 Baht.

Not sure I am allowed to mention the website??? For a good purpose.

I am actually having the same idea. Waiting for 2 alu side panniers to come for my Honda cb650F and then touring around open end.

I assume my offshore days are done, with crew changes being almost impossible to plan and execute.

I was just looking now online at your cb 650f. Am I correct in assuming it is more sporty / forward leaning than the "X" model? "X" seems more touring minded? Do you find extended periods on yours to be uncomfortable? I guess this will all depend on body types / fitness? 

I am about your size and weight. It can be uncomfortable going downhill for a longer stretch, sliding forward on the seat and more or less sitting on your nuggets.

I never had any plans doing touring, but now in this situation I might as well take the chance.

I do find it uncomfortable after a long time in the seat. I also have a bobber, much nicer seat comfort, but the Honda might be easier for parts.

I am always afraid, the bike getting stolen somewhere while staying overnight. A PCX might be better in that matter.

• Like 1

You talk motorbike and then ask about a scooter.

I know what I like but I wouldn't have clue what you would like.

Best you go and test ride bikes and decide for yourself. 

A 500X is a good bike but because of your size I would tell you to try the Versys 650.

As for big scoots I don't like em so no comment. ????????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You talk motorbike and then ask about a scooter.

I know what I like but I wouldn't have clue what you would like.

Best you go and test ride bikes and decide for yourself. 

A 500X is a good bike but because of your size I would tell you to try the Versys 650.

As for big scoots I don't like em so no comment. ????????

Yeah, I did mention the verza as my friend is anti-manual and pushing that as alternative to my manual aspirations. So wanted to hear what people like you with experience of both, now feel about the auto. So it seems your opinion is clear. Was thinking this might be the case where once I go full manually going back to automatic would seem unattractive. 

Also, the versys 650 did look attractive and comfortable as well. But as you said, need to get on them. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Paiman said:

I am about your size and weight. It can be uncomfortable going downhill for a longer stretch, sliding forward on the seat and more or less sitting on your nuggets.

I never had any plans doing touring, but now in this situation I might as well take the chance.

I do find it uncomfortable after a long time in the seat. I also have a bobber, much nicer seat comfort, but the Honda might be easier for parts.

I am always afraid, the bike getting stolen somewhere while staying overnight. A PCX might be better in that matter.

You say you have a bobber. What make/model/cc is the bike?

CB500X is a really good budget option as it's easy to service with many Bigwing dealers around Thailand. A Versys 650 slightly less so but a better bike in most regards apart from weight. Both really good choices and with your height no problems on either of them. Much much better than these scooters. Especially for comfort. The Forza (at least old model) was terribly unbalanced in corners when I rode the one of a friend and I didn't actually feel comfortable in this armchair position. Get panniers and top box and be a happy tourer.

CB650F is a naked bike (superseded by the CB650R) which has a completely upright position (the newer R is slightly forward leaning). You can tour on it but I think the CB500X or Versys 650 are better at it. There you get a bit with wind protection which can be sometimes really nice to have.

Not sure if you can find them for rent around Phuket but check the dealers if they have test rides for these models. But if it's the first time riding a manual then don't do that on a test ride. Get someone to teach you a bit first.

As for manual or auto: manual any day of the week for me. It's much more fun and becomes natural to you anyways after a bit. There's a reason why all bigger bikes are manual and not CVT like scooters ????

• Like 1

An adventure bike is a good choice for touring, because it offers a comfortable riding position. A Honda Forze is also a legit choice if this is what you like, but it's of course way less "sporty".

In general i agree with what the other posters said. A Versys 650 does of course offer more of everything, but it also costs 50% more than the CB500X.

If a Versys 650 is within your budget you can also have a look at the Honda NC750X, i like the storage space where you would usually find the fuel tank.

Edited by jackdd

OP you are on the right track with CB500X and Forza. I currently have Forza old model and done about 14k km of touring around south and local Phuket travel on it. Best way to describe this scooter, SUPER comfy...!

They are totally different bikes, the only things I miss on Forza are bigger wheels and a bit more power, but at the same time love the auto CVT and seating position, also the protection from elements, wind, rain that a scooter with large fairings will give you... Honda Integra with DCT will have it all, minus storage space, but they are not many around in Thailand..., also they are expensive Japanese export..., and there is Tmax of course, but need to sell your house to afford that...lol

As others mentioned must do a good one day test drive before buying anything. I recently did a day trip on a new CB650R and didn't like it much - great bike but not easy leaning forward for me (let me know if you want info to rent and try, nice guy and good price), I found another place that rents CB500X and Versys 650 and Vulcan 650s, Rebel 500 etc.  in Phuket, but minimum 3 days, and it's a bit pricey...

Different people like different things and have different priorities, but you must try them and find your own ideal bike .... I saw a guy on a brand new BMW GS1200 the other day who toured all the north and south, he said all other bikes don't really compare, that was his ideal bike...! 

BTW, you are right about PCX, it's a nice scooter but you have a lot better ride on the long road trips on any of other bikes mentioned above...

• Like 1

What is your average speed?  How old is the pcx?  

You should be able to comfortably cruise at 90 km or higher on the pcx.  How fast do you want to go?  I have travelled many miles on similar size bikes here and have only been passed by other bikes on rare occasions.  The roads here don't allow for safe high speed driving with a few toll road exceptions.  

You may wish to keep what you have or have a look at a forza 300, xmax or even an nmax for the benefit of abs.  

Thank you gentleman. Just the perspectives I was looking for in regards to models, pro & cons, and such. Seems like between the CB500x and Versys is the way to go. Now need to go get on them and see what suits me.   

The Honda NC750X is definitely a sexy bike, but I think priced out for now, need keep a smaller budget with the pandemic at all. But maybe I will graduate to that down the road. 

Thank you guys.

• Like 1

I forgot about the NC750X. It's also a valid choice. I can see some of these going for about the same price as Versys 650 on Kaidee, you can get not too old ones for around 200k. If it'll be a Versys then make sure it's not too old (the one with the weird headlights) as there was a significant update a few years ago. Weight is also pretty much the same.

I think it'll come down to your budget. The CB500x is more towards 100k second hand and the Versys and NC are towards 200k.

• Like 1