"Safe Thailand" - Thais can now visit the European Union, Thai media

webfact

25 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If you search Skyscanner there are loads of airlines scheduling flights to Thailand not just Thai Air albeit 

they will be cancelled to the lockdown.

all flight booking sites still have flights from Europe to Thailand and vice versa available, but the reality is that none are flying, the only airline that will be making any money will be Thai Airways, which if I am not mistaken is now mostly owned by the Thai Government!!!!! Great impartial work from the Government,,,,,,

1 hour ago, beano2274 said:

all flight booking sites still have flights from Europe to Thailand and vice versa available, but the reality is that none are flying, the only airline that will be making any money will be Thai Airways, which if I am not mistaken is now mostly owned by the Thai Government!!!!! Great impartial work from the Government,,,,,,

Hang on, Thai Air making money ! Actually the Thai Government gave up its majority share holding on May 27 https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388364 this allowed it to go into protective bankruptcy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beano2274 said:

Reality is actually that KLM is, and always has been flying. I recently got back to Amsterdam on a KLM flight. You can even google the flight nr and see that there are daily flights scheduled, and actually leave on time. In this age its not rocket science to try and track flights. 

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Er. I think everyday 

In 2018, around 23 400 persons were killed in road accidents in the EU: 45% of the fatalities were passenger car drivers or passengers; 21% were pedestrians.

EU has a population of 0.5 billion, compared to thailand 70 million,

so for an apples to apples comparison you would need to multiply thai

road accidents with 6

• Like 2

5 hours ago, beano2274 said:

who is talking about 3 flights per month, if Europe and other countries open up to Thailand then the Thais will want to travel and Thai will be the only airline actually flying in and out of Thailand.

Europe can open all they want to Thailand, no Thai tourist will travel to Europe for the time being, even if they felt "adventureous" to leave the "covid free" Kingdom, because they would be quarantined upon return.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

Thais are allowed into the EU but almost no EU citizens are allowed into Thailand. How is that for reciprocity??

Same as pretty much everything else, with the notable extension of visa-free 30d travel. EU should grow teeth and start making demands, although Thailand is way down in the priority list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Janner1 said:

Thais don’t pay the same price as farang, and anyway they most probably get to quarantine at home with all of the family ??

Thais don’t get ripped off but they sure as hell see us coming

Not for Covid - all quarantine is in government approved hotels direct from Airport.  Thai and Farang are offered the same range of hotels.  Check the Thai forums and news. 

14 hours ago, scammed said:

EU has a population of 0.5 billion, compared to thailand 70 million,

so for an apples to apples comparison you would need to multiply thai

road accidents with 6

Lets also not forget the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.. (this place alone must count for 50% or those EU accidents!!!!!!!)

As stated in the last paragraph of the article, this is old news. I'd planned to visit the UK and go via Germany, stay 14 days there both with friends and at hotels, then fly to London.

However, hassle getting back to Thailand together with unforeseen changes to the self-isolation rules in the UK have made me decide against this. Stuck in Thailand for the foreseeable!

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, GeoMill said:

Reality is actually that KLM is, and always has been flying. I recently got back to Amsterdam on a KLM flight. You can even google the flight nr and see that there are daily flights scheduled, and actually leave on time. In this age its not rocket science to try and track flights. 

Also Lufthansa on Frankfurt does as KLM .

On 8/12/2020 at 9:56 AM, trucking said:

Not so. They have to go into government quarantine or if they have deep pockets they can do it at a government appointed 5 star hotel. Very expensive.

It's not really that expensive when you look at the normal daily rates of the places in question. Taking into account the 3 square meals per day, COVID testing, airport pickup, etc... it's not that bad a deal. Admittedly, far less enjoyable than normal I'm sure and certainly not something I'm looking forward to!

On 8/12/2020 at 11:47 PM, Yinn said:

Er. I think everyday 

In 2018, around 23 400 persons were killed in road accidents in the EU: 45% of the fatalities were passenger car drivers or passengers; 21% were pedestrians.

Oh Yoda...

EUROPE (as in: many countries) vsTHAILAND (as in: one country)

Are you now starting a debate on Thailand and road- safety?

Please tell me, you are not that...uninformed!

On 8/12/2020 at 4:20 PM, Anton9 said:

Safe Thailand is a myth, unless you think people only die of Covid nowadays.

Plus there have been multiple imported cases from Thailand in other countries showing the virus is still here.

Do you have proof of that? Or is just something you heard.

3 hours ago, PatrickC said:

Not true at all. Many airlines are running repatriation flights arranged by the embassies.

The repatriation flights from the U.K. are all Thai Air, 3 in August all full and you to have a Certificate of Entry from the Thai Embassy in London.

There are flights from Thailand to other destinations though.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Mistake

20 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

The UK is just 1 country. There are many other countries where repatriation flights come in from. Mine was Emirates. Other posters have talked of ANA. Etc. It is not about handing a monopoly to Thai. It is about which airlines can fly the route at the repatriation prices and not make a loss, given the flight will be empty in one direction. Sure there are other considerations as well, such as moving cargo. 

You flew back to Thailand with Emirates, which country did you fly from, did you have a Certificate of Entry from the Embassy of that country and spend 14 days mandatory quarantine on arrival in Thailand ?

25 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Australia - Thai embassy there uses them for some repatriation flights. Yes of course had a COE and am currently in ASQ. My point is/was that it is not just Thai Airways running repatriation flights.

Thanks for the info, flying with Thai Air from London only Single Fare available just under £700, fares are normally around £500 return. They are not flying empty from Thailand either as people are returning to the U.K. fare same price.

How much was your fare and was it only a single if you don’t mind me asking ?

On 8/12/2020 at 10:16 AM, CNXexpat said:

I wouldn´t leave safe Thailand for a trip to countries with an increasing number of covid cases. Beside the fact that I am not keen on a 14 days quarantine when I will come back.

It's really not as bad as you think. I've been in the UK since February, and the last 2 months have felt pretty much as life as normal. The virus is a lot more benign than is being painted. It is worse than influenza but it really isn't much of an issue for the population as a whole. I personally wouldn't like to live in a fearful paranoid state during this time