Four Thais, one American found to have Covid-19 in state quarantine

webfact

Four Thais, one American found to have Covid-19 in state quarantine

By The Nation

800_a5cb49536d220c9.jpg?v=1597206142

The government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported five new cases in state quarantine over a 24-hour period today (August 12), the 79th day Thailand has seen no domestic case since May.

The latest cases are a 50-year-old American man found positive on August 10 in alternative state quarantine, three male students (aged 23-29) who returned from Egypt on the same flight that reported six previous cases, and an 18-year-old male student who came home from India.

Meanwhile, six patients have been discharged.

As of today, the number of confirmed cases in the country stands at 3,356 (419 found in state quarantine). Of these, 129 are under treatment, 3,169 have recovered and been discharged, and 58 have died.

Globally, the number of confirmed cases is now 20.5 million, up by 264,000 in 24 hours, with 13.4 million having recovered and 745,000 dying. The United States continues to have the highest number of infections (5.3 million), followed by Brazil (3.1 million) and India ( 2.3 million).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392861

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-12

There's always a risk of infection during the boarding and disembarking, much lower risk once plane is in the air but still there. This would however require that at least someone the passengers come in contact with is infected. Staff or some of the passengers themselves. It is quite stupid not to test all the passengers for COVID before boarding, and at least isolating infected ones. Can't be that planes are full, and wide body planes have separated parts of cabin, when leaving infected behind isn't an option (it would seem that way).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, law ling said:

It's reported elsewhere that the American (who tested positive on Aug 10) had arrived on 28 July - thus testing positive on his 14th day of quarantine?? - makes one wonder if the now-standard 14-day quaratine period is adequate.

Perhaps he was covid free on arrival and caught it in quarantine.  Are they testing the quarantine staff?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NicoBKK said:

I still remember a Russian lady a couple of weeks ago which was negative in Russia, negative upon arrival, negative on 3rd quarantine day and positive on 13th day. Something isn't right either in quarantine environment or on the 2 weeks time

Being cynical as I said previously they are always going ‘test’ some one positive in quarantine ?

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The sensationalism in adding the American man as positive while in ASQ will definitely get the blood boiling and the anti farang sentiment to grow, thanks to the fact they he was tested prior to arriving and found to be negative while the Thais were not tested until arrival  Would be nice to know his arrival date and how many days he was in ASQ until he tested positive.  Could he have been infected by the untested Thais, well that is anybody's guess, but I think some of us know how it may be played out, and that is that he was the cause of the Thai's infection.  Does not take a genius to see the possibility of some spin being put on it in social media.  Maybe I am totally wrong regarding my views, but then having lived here and then watched how this Covid issue is playing out it is my true opinion.

Yes, certainly makes headlines. He was Covid-19 negative when he got on the flight due to prior testing surely. I blame the untested Thais on the flight for his infection. Who do the Thais blame?

As an aside regarding Covid-19 fears, I stopped at a coffee shop in Phangna in June and the paranoid lady owner would not let me through the door. Her husband calmed her down and offered to serve me coffee on the veranda. He was a nice guy but his wife had been taking in too much of the dirty farang sentiment.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NicoBKK said:

I still remember a Russian lady a couple of weeks ago which was negative in Russia, negative upon arrival, negative on 3rd quarantine day and positive on 13th day. Something isn't right either in quarantine environment or on the 2 weeks time

Of course you can catch it mid flight and then come down with symptoms 14 days later.  

The 13th day is a long time though.

So imagine.  13 days in quarantine.  Almost out... oh no, COVID.  You have however long this will take to run it's course.  And it's not just 2 weeks in some cases.

She will be in quarantine for maybe a month or more!  

I recently spoke to someone by phone in the U S.  They were looking for a flight from San Francisco to Bangkok.  They were directed to several flights that were going through (unbelievably) Germany and other hub airports.  The total trip time was over 30 hours.  In that amount of time with dead time in several airports waiting to board the next flight, I think it would be easy to come into contact with the covid virus.

Edited by american2
misspelling

2 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Perhaps he was covid free on arrival and caught it in quarantine.  Are they testing the quarantine staff?

People in quarantine have no direct contact with hotel staff.

It is well known that people often test negative in the early days of COVID infection.

The final test is I think usually done on day 13 of quarantine. Takes a day to get the results back

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 10:57 AM, Sheryl said:

It is well known that people often test negative in the early days of COVID infection.

The final test is I think usually done on day 13 of quarantine. Takes a day to get the results back

i know one guy personally in quarantine for 44 days ( not in Thailand )

The country i was in ( working ) the health dept released you 14 days after 1st positive test if you showed no symptoms irrespective of whether or not you'd received a negative result.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

i know one guy personally in quarantine for 44 days ( not in Thailand )

The country i was in ( working ) the health dept released you 14 days after 1st positive test if you showed no symptoms irrespective of whether or not you'd received a negative result.

They don't in Thailand. Anyone positive, even asymptomatic, is put in hospital quarantine and released only after confirmed negative.

56 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

noted

Did not know you were transferred to hospital if + test and no sypmtoms - totally unessasary IMO.

Usually it says ‘rushed’ to hospital, an average Thai reading that will think they have the plague, another bit of scaremongering to turn them against dirty foreigners !

On 8/12/2020 at 5:57 AM, Sheryl said:

No contact, except for the food being served 3x daily. ????

20 minutes ago, Starmocihc said:

Yes of course it is. But it's a good reason to charge up a 150k baht invoice at the hospital. ????

20 minutes ago, Starmocihc said:

Yes of course it is. But it's a good reason to charge up a 150k baht invoice at the hospital. ????

And obviously it’s money in the bank for the hospital as you have your $100k Health Insurance cover.

12 hours ago, Starmocihc said:

No contact, except for the food being served 3x daily. ????

The food is left on a table outside the room and the guest notified by phone app to pick it up. No person to person  contact.