Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi rider relied on foreign tourists - now he has nothing

webfact

16 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Odd story. I give it a suspected 4 panokios. He's in front the the Big C that doing (most likely) its usual business. The Big C where I'm at is not anywhere slow (normal level). Around town things may be slow in the bar/nightclub area but I doubt it at Big C. If many more MC taxi are competing at Big C it needs to be stated. As the story stands I only see someone looking for a handout. 

I talk to the guy picking up carts at Makro and he's sweating. He get 300 baht/day and doesn't complain. If we have cold water we give him some, but sometimes he thanks us but says he has water. He's hoping that they will move him inside next month. 

Smart workers should move out of the get rich tourist areas. 

I find it is usually pretty hard to find a win driver around end of school/work time. I thought more Thais use them than foreigners. 

its all relative, i think pattaya bike taxi drivers are the least corrupt

in comparison with baht buses, and laos bike taxi.

i recommend ask for price before jumping on the bike,

actually i recommend ask price before any deal whatsoever

Edited by scammed
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 12:04 PM, AlfHuy said:

500-600 baht a day working in construction. Yeah, right. Probably no skills at all in this business.

I am sure Cambodians, Burmese etc don't get much more than 300baht a day.

what is then MINIMUM/MAXIMUM daily rates that people should/have to be paid??

On 8/12/2020 at 12:20 PM, BigStar said:

Sometimes we select one, or a group, as representative of others as well. We don't really have space to tell all the stories of millions of others. Yet sitting out all day in the same spot, barely shaded from the heat, hoping for a fare seems its own special torture. But it's easily dismissed by old fart farang retirees sitting comfortably at their keyboards of course.

To me this says try to tip more generously than you did pre-COVID. Hard times for these people.

The question is, how difficult will that be? Not for you, of course. Heh.

I've known some funny and quite honest motorcy taxi drivers, joked around many times with them and at times had a regular driver. Sometimes I have a trusted driver go down to Immigration and do my 90-day report for a couple hundred baht. Yeah, many of us, I think, are glad to have these guys around when needed. One of the conveniences and part of the character of Thailand.

Thank you. As an aside, while I don't need to use the mototaxi drivers, I have up'ed my tipping amount for service workers during this pandemic to help them in a small way. People around the world are being negatively impacted by the economic shutdowns necessary to get the virus under control and those in a position to help others should consider doing so.  

On 8/12/2020 at 6:45 AM, webfact said:

His family is subsisting on basic foods like fermented fish sauce just to stay alive. 

That sounds terrible to me, I would be desperate too. 

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2020 at 6:21 PM, checkered flag said:

Odd story. I give it a suspected 4 panokios. He's in front the the Big C that doing (most likely) its usual business. The Big C where I'm at is not anywhere slow (normal level). Around town things may be slow in the bar/nightclub area but I doubt it at Big C. If many more MC taxi are competing at Big C it needs to be stated. As the story stands I only see someone looking for a handout. 

I talk to the guy picking up carts at Makro and he's sweating. He get 300 baht/day and doesn't complain. If we have cold water we give him some, but sometimes he thanks us but says he has water. He's hoping that they will move him inside next month. 

Smart workers should move out of the get rich tourist areas. 

Two days later I'm still trying to work out what a panokios is.

On 8/12/2020 at 12:20 PM, BigStar said:

Sometimes we select one, or a group, as representative of others as well. We don't really have space to tell all the stories of millions of others. Yet sitting out all day in the same spot, barely shaded from the heat, hoping for a fare seems its own special torture. But it's easily dismissed by old fart farang retirees sitting comfortably at their keyboards of course.

To me this says try to tip more generously than you did pre-COVID. Hard times for these people.

The question is, how difficult will that be? Not for you, of course. Heh.

I've known some funny and quite honest motorcy taxi drivers, joked around many times with them and at times had a regular driver. Sometimes I have a trusted driver go down to Immigration and do my 90-day report for a couple hundred baht. Yeah, many of us, I think, are glad to have these guys around when needed. One of the conveniences and part of the character of Thailand.

You would give your passport to a motorcycle taxi driver!!?,????

• 3 weeks later...

I know it is an old post but today I was at Soi Arunotai near Big C wanting to go to 2nd rd a distance of less than a kilometre. I was in a hurry so asked a win driver. 60 baht. I walked in 10 minutes instead. Maybe they need to ask why people aren't using them? The only farung left in Pattaya have more sense than to pay their outrageous prices.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I know it is an old post but today I was at Soi Arunotai near Big C wanting to go to 2nd rd a distance of less than a kilometre. I was in a hurry so asked a win driver. 60 baht. I walked in 10 minutes instead. Maybe they need to ask why people aren't using them? The only farung left in Pattaya have more sense than to pay their outrageous prices.

I was under the impression 60 baht is the minimum price per journey.  What do you think the price should have been?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The motorsai boys are the heroes of public transport. During these hard times I always give them extra. I feel sorry form them but I pity and despise the Thai haters and Thai bashers who shamefully revel in the difficulties of this class of Thais. I hope they never return to Thailand and would be happy if they never returned to this forum spreading their hate, negativity and lousy energy.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:53 PM, ChipButty said:

Motorcycle taxi rider scammed foreign tourists - now he has nothing, fixed it for him

How did he scam anyone?  I know I used these taxis on occasion when I lived in Pattaya.  Did I pay more than a Thai?  Yeah maybe.  But we're talking about me paying 50 baht versus 40 baht.  Hard to really call it a scam.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

that was actually cheap imo

11 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Sixty baht seems to be their minimum for most rides, even longer journeys. Remember the early days of the 'new' governemnt where large signs were erected showing fares to various points and they tried to rein them in...that did not last. I don't begrudge them 60 baht, times must be hard these days.