Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi rider relied on foreign tourists - now he has nothing

webfact

On 8/12/2020 at 6:20 AM, BigStar said:

I've known some funny and quite honest motorcy taxi drivers, joked around many times with them and at times had a regular driver. Sometimes I have a trusted driver go down to Immigration and do my 90-day report for a couple hundred baht. Yeah, many of us, I think, are glad to have these guys around when needed. One of the conveniences and part of the character of Thailand.

Couldn't agree more. One win rider is also my plumber and always invites me to go cockfighting with him.

However, the win rider in the OP is full of it. Very few tourists ever went to Big C Central.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

They are useful if u need them. Surely their warnings have collapsed with the lack of tourists and all the bar workers back in isarn.

For win riders, you've hit the nail on the head. Their core customers in central Pattaya were the bar girls.

5 hours ago, scammed said:

that was actually cheap imo

That's your opinion. Erroneous of course. If you want to see an honest purview of what should be charged, take a look at the board, published in English, opposite the North Pattaya bus station. I don't know if it's still there now. But I think, if I remember correctly, that the fare from there to Big C is 60 baht. That's at least 3km.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Sixty baht seems to be their minimum for most rides, even longer journeys. Remember the early days of the 'new' governemnt where large signs were erected showing fares to various points and they tried to rein them in...that did not last. I don't begrudge them 60 baht, times must be hard these days.

Nope, it's 40 baht asked for short trips. If you are paying 60 baht, that's up to you.

Even the 'locals' know to avoid certain ranks known for overcharging. They'll walk a bit further to their known rank if necessary.

Chances are, if you are being asked 60 baht for short trips, it's a rip off rank. Don't get me started on the clowns who would happily pay double for a 'twos up' with their latest find on a bike and imagined the 'win' was doing them a favour.

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

I was under the impression 60 baht is the minimum price per journey.  What do you think the price should have been?

Last week at night I went from Naklua fish market to Takhiantia about 6 km for 60 baht. I paid him more. I am in the suburbs  but for a short trip-1 km -I pay 20 baht. They may charge tourist price in season but there are not many tourists at the moment.  I'd bet Thais pay 20 baht.

13 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

That's your opinion. Erroneous of course. If you want to see an honest purview of what should be charged, take a look at the board, published in English, opposite the North Pattaya bus station. I don't know if it's still there now. But I think, if I remember correctly, that the fare from there to Big C is 60 baht. That's at least 3km.

I often go to Lukdod Shop   near Makro and start walking to big C. They stop me on the way and will take me for 30b happily.  Re your other reply-was a Win rank in the middle of houses half way between Big C and 2nd Rd.

49 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Even the 'locals' know to avoid certain ranks known for overcharging. They'll walk a bit further to their known rank if necessary.

Chances are, if you are being asked 60 baht for short trips, it's a rip off rank. Don't get me started on the clowns who would happily pay double for a 'twos up' with their latest find on a bike and imagined the 'win' was doing them a favour.

Charging double for 2 is the biggest rip off. Does a car taxi charge double for 2 people?

3 hours ago, polpott said:

Couldn't agree more. One win rider is also my plumber and always invites me to go cockfighting with him.

However, the win rider in the OP is full of it. Very few tourists ever went to Big C Central.

Many he would call "tourists" are actually "expats" - often just not staying and spending-money in Thailand year-round - or as much, thanks to Immigration's 'crackdowns' - and now Covid.  

I went to BigC when I lived there - and used motos.  It is awesome not having to maintain a vehicle, after a lifetime of doing so.  The moto/taxi availability in Thailand is fantastic.  If only all taxis used the meter, like they do in Bangkok.

3 hours ago, polpott said:

For win riders, you've hit the nail on the head. Their core customers in central Pattaya were the bar girls.

Would be the same-effect, then.  But you might want to expand your viewpoint beyond what you see at "bar closing time."   The vast majority of those who serve the tourist-industry are not "bar-girls" and many of these folks used motos/taxis.

Those who work in tourist-areas, and those who were supported by income derived from their incomes (taxis, tuk-tuks, motos) were hit hard by immigration's agent-money-driven "crackdowns" - then wrecked completely with the Covid-shutdown.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Charging double for 2 is the biggest rip off. Does a car taxi charge double for 2 people?

A moto really only fits one - why  I always hire 2 (one for wife, one for me).  Moto-stands try to share the wealth between drivers (queues, territory, etc), so this policy is encouraging you to hire two motos.

16 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes, I have come across that for airport transfers in the USA.

As to a M/C taxi taking 2.... I figure you as colluding to do something illegal and should pay more.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Don't get me started on the clowns who would happily pay double for a 'twos up' with their latest find on a bike and imagined the 'win' was doing them a favour.

They basically force you pay double or walk, I rarely put myself in that position these days. Another reason to boycott them

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They basically force you pay double or walk, I rarely put myself in that position these days. Another reason to boycott them

If I am in a hurry, it is getting late and I have an inkling to switch my location, I use one. Needs must... I usually give them a 100 baht note after haggling for 60 baht. Sometimes I get a polite thanks, more often a bit of grumpiness... I sometimes think every one of them hates us!

13 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

40 baht is completely normal. Sounds as if you have been ripped off on a regular basis.

I don't use them much, but when I have used them, I have paid 60 baht.  I wouldn't call the journey short, and the most I have ever paid is 60 baht.  

13 hours ago, Nout said:

Yes

Seems I could be paying over the odds.  I don't try to barter them down from 60 baht to 40 baht. 

How many meters / kms / minutes would you get for 40 baht?  I would say my average journey is around 3 kms, for which I pay 60 baht.  Doesn't sound far, but in traffic, takes some time.  

4 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Last week at night I went from Naklua fish market to Takhiantia about 6 km for 60 baht. I paid him more. I am in the suburbs  but for a short trip-1 km -I pay 20 baht. They may charge tourist price in season but there are not many tourists at the moment.  I'd bet Thais pay 20 baht.

For anything under 1 km I just walk.  When I do use them, my trips are around 3 kms long.  This is probably why I always pay 60 baht.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Erm...the choice to to take two bikes. 

Though I have noticed that they then try to put the price up for a single bike. They think that the tourists/expats are stupid. In some cases they are, in others, the tourist/expat doesn't want to look bad in front of their hired help and relents.

So I don't have any sympathy for the scam artists and crooks and every sympathy for the 'win' trying to make an honest living.

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Seems I could be paying over the odds.  I don't try to barter them down from 60 baht to 40 baht. 

How many meters / kms / minutes would you get for 40 baht?  I would say my average journey is around 3 kms, for which I pay 60 baht.  Doesn't sound far, but in traffic, takes some time.  

I think if you think of the minimum fare as covering around 2km and then add 10 baht for each km or thereabouts, you won't be far out..

First 2km 25Baht

Additional 5baht per km for trips 2-5km

Additional 10Baht per km for trips 5-10km

Trips over 15km negotiable to max 150Baht

The above in 2016 was the countrywide mandated fare

Edited by Eindhoven