Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi rider relied on foreign tourists - now he has nothing

webfact

On 8/12/2020 at 12:04 PM, AlfHuy said:

500-600 baht a day working in construction. Yeah, right. Probably no skills at all in this business.

I am sure Cambodians, Burmese etc don't get much more than 300baht a day.

Talking about Cambodian construction workers... one fell 8 floors to his death today, just next door - very sad! The site manager didn't want to call police as perhaps they would have received a fine for using illegal workers or the site shut down due to safety issues. Maybe they just bury him and pretend nothing happened.

On 9/5/2020 at 5:42 PM, Eindhoven said:

I think if you think of the minimum fare as covering around 2km and then add 10 baht for each km or thereabouts, you won't be far out..

The above in 2016 was the countrywide mandated fare

real prices about 2.5x and they overcharge thais as well.

They should do application for motorbike taxis, everyone has smartphones with gps now, just type where you want to go, app finds the distance and calculates fare. problem solved.

Edited by TacoKhun

15 minutes ago, TacoKhun said:

real prices about 2.5x and they overcharge thais as well.

They should do application for motorbike taxis, everyone has smartphones with gps now, just type where you want to go, app finds the distance and calculates fare. problem solved.

You mean like ‘Grab’ - GrabBike...

This works in Bangkok - I’m not sure if they have it in Pattaya.

IMG_6748.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean like ‘Grab’ - GrabBike...

This works in Bangkok - I’m not sure if they have it in Pattaya.

IMG_6748.jpg

like this. every taxi guy should have similar application on his phone, should be mandatory to have a license. now i pay 40 for 2km which is not big deal, but if i need go more than that like 5km it instantly becomes 150 which they go down to 120 after bargaining which is still too much, and i dont like to bargain with them.

Edited by TacoKhun

On 9/14/2020 at 5:53 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I vaguely recall you talking about leaving Thailand for Vietnam, did you go? if it was going to be the growing expat location that's now stalled maybe for good

I have openly stated on this forum Vietnam is my Plan B.  I have already chosen the city and condo block.  

I still like Pattaya (pre Covid) and unless the Thai immigration start making more hoops, or, Pattaya ends up a wasteland for westerns, or becomes Chinatown, I'll remain here.  

Pre Covid, I would visit friends in Vietnam a few times a year.  These guys used to live in Thailand, and have no regrets about their move, and I can see why.  

Pre Covid, Thailand was experiencing a decline in western tourists, whilst Vietnam was experiencing a surge.  That's the tourists who spend money, not zero baht tourism.