Jump to content

Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi rider relied on foreign tourists - now he has nothing


Recommended Posts

On 8/12/2020 at 6:20 AM, BigStar said:

I've known some funny and quite honest motorcy taxi drivers, joked around many times with them and at times had a regular driver. Sometimes I have a trusted driver go down to Immigration and do my 90-day report for a couple hundred baht. Yeah, many of us, I think, are glad to have these guys around when needed. One of the conveniences and part of the character of Thailand.

Couldn't agree more. One win rider is also my plumber and always invites me to go cockfighting with him.

 

However, the win rider in the OP is full of it. Very few tourists ever went to Big C Central.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes we select one, or a group, as representative of others as well. We don't really have space to tell all the stories of millions of others. Yet sitting out all day in the same spot, barely sha

Motorcycle taxi rider scammed foreign tourists - now he has nothing, fixed it for him

And all the others can't work?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

They are useful if u need them. Surely their warnings have collapsed with the lack of tourists and all the bar workers back in isarn.

For win riders, you've hit the nail on the head. Their core customers in central Pattaya were the bar girls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, webfact said:

he has been forced to try construction jobs at 500-600 baht a day

shock  horror, poor  lamb, wait  till theyve dried  up also and he has to work on the land.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scammed said:

that was actually cheap imo

 

That's your opinion. Erroneous of course. If you want to see an honest purview of what should be charged, take a look at the board, published in English, opposite the North Pattaya bus station. I don't know if it's still there now. But I think, if I remember correctly, that the fare from there to Big C is 60 baht. That's at least 3km.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

some will accept 40 baht for short journeys

I was going to reply to Leaver but sent to you instead so I deleted it😁

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Sixty baht seems to be their minimum for most rides, even longer journeys. Remember the early days of the 'new' governemnt where large signs were erected showing fares to various points and they tried to rein them in...that did not last. I don't begrudge them 60 baht, times must be hard these days.

Nope, it's 40 baht asked for short trips. If you are paying 60 baht, that's up to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the 'locals' know to avoid certain ranks known for overcharging. They'll walk a bit further to their known rank if necessary.

Chances are, if you are being asked 60 baht for short trips, it's a rip off rank. Don't get me started on the clowns who would happily pay double for a 'twos up' with their latest find on a bike and imagined the 'win' was doing them a favour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Leaver said:

I was under the impression 60 baht is the minimum price per journey.  What do you think the price should have been?

Last week at night I went from Naklua fish market to Takhiantia about 6 km for 60 baht. I paid him more. I am in the suburbs  but for a short trip-1 km -I pay 20 baht. They may charge tourist price in season but there are not many tourists at the moment.  I'd bet Thais pay 20 baht.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, polpott said:

For win riders, you've hit the nail on the head. Their core customers in central Pattaya were the bar girls.

I'm sure bar girls don't pay 60b for a short trip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

 

That's your opinion. Erroneous of course. If you want to see an honest purview of what should be charged, take a look at the board, published in English, opposite the North Pattaya bus station. I don't know if it's still there now. But I think, if I remember correctly, that the fare from there to Big C is 60 baht. That's at least 3km.

 

I often go to Lukdod Shop   near Makro and start walking to big C. They stop me on the way and will take me for 30b happily.  Re your other reply-was a Win rank in the middle of houses half way between Big C and 2nd Rd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Even the 'locals' know to avoid certain ranks known for overcharging. They'll walk a bit further to their known rank if necessary.

Chances are, if you are being asked 60 baht for short trips, it's a rip off rank. Don't get me started on the clowns who would happily pay double for a 'twos up' with their latest find on a bike and imagined the 'win' was doing them a favour.

Charging double for 2 is the biggest rip off. Does a car taxi charge double for 2 people?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, polpott said:

Couldn't agree more. One win rider is also my plumber and always invites me to go cockfighting with him.

 

However, the win rider in the OP is full of it. Very few tourists ever went to Big C Central.

Many he would call "tourists" are actually "expats" - often just not staying and spending-money in Thailand year-round - or as much, thanks to Immigration's 'crackdowns' - and now Covid.  

 

I went to BigC when I lived there - and used motos.  It is awesome not having to maintain a vehicle, after a lifetime of doing so.  The moto/taxi availability in Thailand is fantastic.  If only all taxis used the meter, like they do in Bangkok.

 

3 hours ago, polpott said:

For win riders, you've hit the nail on the head. Their core customers in central Pattaya were the bar girls.

Would be the same-effect, then.  But you might want to expand your viewpoint beyond what you see at "bar closing time."   The vast majority of those who serve the tourist-industry are not "bar-girls" and many of these folks used motos/taxis.

 

Those who work in tourist-areas, and those who were supported by income derived from their incomes (taxis, tuk-tuks, motos) were hit hard by immigration's agent-money-driven "crackdowns" - then wrecked completely with the Covid-shutdown.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Charging double for 2 is the biggest rip off. Does a car taxi charge double for 2 people?

A moto really only fits one - why  I always hire 2 (one for wife, one for me).  Moto-stands try to share the wealth between drivers (queues, territory, etc), so this policy is encouraging you to hire two motos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...