What to do about inconsistent and eyebrow-raising bills from MEA?

Hi everyone;

I've been in my Trendy studio condo rental for eight months, and the MEA bills always seemed very high, like 900–1700thb +/- per month. I live alone in a 22sqm studio and have one not new A/C unit that I run intermittently throughout the day as I've been working from home. I do not use hot water. The Refrigerator is the smaller ice-box-in-the-main-space kind. My bills are from MEA directly and I pay them directly.

Previously I'd been suspicious, but now I'm sure there's something going on, as I started working full-time at an office, so no A/C, lights or modem from 6am to 5pm, five days a week, and my first full month's bill with this arrangement came in at only 300thb lower than previous month(s). (This already accounts for the recent Covid discount.)

Is it possible that a reduction of over 60% in-home electricity time equates to only 20% electricity bill reduction (aprox.)? I'm going by the assumption that my A/C is the main usage of electricity.

And why is my electricity bill so high, anyway?

Any insight, suggestions or inevitable condescending comments appreciated. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

A 20m2 studio would have an A/C around 12,000 BTU, that will pull about 1.2kW when the compressor is running.Assuming you don't like actic conditions let's assume a 30% dury cycle (compressor running 30% of the time), so when your A/C is on it's using about  0.4 units per hour. Overnight that's 13 * 0.4 = 5.2 units, a 30 day month would be 156 units @ 4.5 Baht = 702 Baht on the A/C alone.

Fridge, probably 1 unit per day on top, 135 Baht.

I don't think you're a million miles off. It's worth talking to the neighbours to see what range their bills are.

As @ezzra notes, you could have MEA install a check-meter but if they find your meter is accurate then they may charge you for the facility.

That's pretty good, interesting breakdown. (Then I saw your horse-drawn carriage avatar and laughed.) Thanks.

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

you can ask them to install a parallel meter to see if the original one is faulty...

Because it's a fairly large building, MEA can install a parallel meter that will definitely bypass any neighbors who might be wired in to my unit?

2 minutes ago, allencraig said:

Because it's a fairly large building, MEA can install a parallel meter that will definitely bypass any neighbors who might be wired in to my unit?

Probably not, that's why it's worth monitoring your meter with your main breaker off. Assuming of course that you can access the meter room and determine which meter is yours.

Your fridge will survive the day with no power so it could be worth turning off and reading the meter on your way to work and reading again when you return home.

• Like 2

Since you are a relatively low consumption user (for a farang at least) it's also worth factoring in your lighting (is it incandescent, fluorescent or LED?), your PC and your TV.

Just for comparison our energy consumption (mid June to mid July) was 869 units from PEA and 598 units from our grid-tie solar, total 1467 units or 6,600 Baht if we didn't have the solar ????

When I was working from home our energy usage pretty well doubled ????

Bills definately seem high ,I live in 40m2 house ,big fridge freezer, 2 hot showers aday,boil kettle 2 times in the morning and run aircon 7/8 hours a night .....never at the house in the daytime.
never had a bill above 700 ,,normally 500-600 bht.

08F9E071-C1A0-43E2-B0C7-BB54B49BAD2C.thumb.jpeg.04806d5b67c2149282a81d32c456620e.jpeg

4 hours ago, taninthai said:

Bills definately seem high ,I live in 40m2 house ,big fridge freezer, 2 hot showers aday,boil kettle 2 times in the morning and run aircon 7/8 hours a night .....never at the house in the daytime.
never had a bill above 700 ,,normally 500-600 bht.

08F9E071-C1A0-43E2-B0C7-BB54B49BAD2C.thumb.jpeg.04806d5b67c2149282a81d32c456620e.jpeg

Hmm, I've only been below 300 twice in the past 8 months, otherwise I'm in 320 to 460 range—with the only difference being outside temp./A/C use. But it was 311 in the recent month I'd been out of the house all week during this "cool" season. There MUST be something amiss with my charges.

The high bills are a concern, yes, but more concerning is the change in schedule without equivalent reduction in listed usage.

From 7 days a week working/living at home 24/7, then a switch to 5 days a week out of the house 6am to 5pm, then minimal A/C at night (I mostly use a fan then.) With that huge change in A/C usage, my bill went from 1400 thb previous month to only 1100.

On 8/12/2020 at 6:11 PM, allencraig said:

Oh yea, it's a bull or similar pulling the carriage. And Kazam! My electricity charge problem has been resolved!

Try buffalo.. ???? 

..only when you agree it is a Thai buffalo will your electric meter be instantly fixed! 

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2020 at 1:20 PM, Baht Simpson said:

You say a "not new" a/c. Has it been serviced? If it's old and/or the filters need cleaning it could be working overtime costing you money. 

Yes, I had it cleaned recently becuase it blows a hellofa lot of dust into the apartment. So it probably works about as good as this thing is going to work.

19 hours ago, kenk24 said:

does your landlord boost the bills by charging above meter rates.. this not uncommon.. 

is trendy a new word for tiny

No, I get billed directly from MEA and pay them directly. I cringe every time I tell anyone I live at the "Trendy" Building. 

Our house is circa 180sqm of living space, ex outside kitchen, with a 10 x 5 metre pool. We use one air-con at night for approx 7 hours, then just fans (3). 2 fridges, normal kitchen stuff, our elect bill never exceeds 2,500 Baht.  I would say something is very wrong. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 11:47 AM, kenk24 said:

do you pay a premium for trendiness? 20 sq m. - is that correct... ?? closet sized? 

My rent is certainly higher than what a studio like mine would cost elsewhere, no doubt. But unless MEA charges more for condos in this tourist area, that shouldn't make a difference. I'm billed directly by MEA.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:55 AM, Pilotman said:

Our house is circa 180sqm of living space, ex outside kitchen, with a 10 x 5 metre pool. We use one air-con at night for approx 7 hours, then just fans (3). 2 fridges, normal kitchen stuff, our elect bill never exceeds 2,500 Baht.  I would say something is very wrong. 

Yes, I agree. Comparing your place and mine, If you're at 2500thb and I'm between 1000 and 1400 then somehow I'm getting screwed.

• Like 1