Ever Hit Somebody On The Course?

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Hi,

just thinking back to the days I used to live in France... you had to have a 'green card' to play. Insurance, you see. I remember when I was working there, that I just simply wanted the round, but was refused as I wasn't insured... heaven forbid, what would i do if I hit a guy with my ball and I had no insurance...?

I got my green card, but never did need it - i.e. I never hit anyone.

In LOS, however, I recently managed to hit the caddie of a Thai playing partner. She was in front of me, about 100 yards away. I 'toppied' a 6 iron and it caught her square on the ankle (good thing too, she stopped it going in the water, got an 'up and down' to make par).

She went to hospital, and was told to stop working for 4 days. She managed to make it back to the club house before I left and she asked me to pay her 500 bhat a day as she was unable to caddie during that time, hence, lost salary. Felt a bit miffed at first, but in the end, 2000 Bhat wouldn't have killed me and, maybe she was pulling a 'fast one', but I was just happy i wasn't back in France where, even with insurance, it could have been a lot more complicated.

Ever hit anyone and had any unpleasant repercussions?

Hi,

just thinking back to the days I used to live in France... you had to have a 'green card' to play. Insurance, you see. I remember when I was working there, that I just simply wanted the round, but was refused as I wasn't insured... heaven forbid, what would i do if I hit a guy with my ball and I had no insurance...?

I got my green card, but never did need it - i.e. I never hit anyone.

In LOS, however, I recently managed to hit the caddie of a Thai playing partner. She was in front of me, about 100 yards away. I 'toppied' a 6 iron and it caught her square on the ankle (good thing too, she stopped it going in the water, got an 'up and down' to make par).

She went to hospital, and was told to stop working for 4 days. She managed to make it back to the club house before I left and she asked me to pay her 500 bhat a day as she was unable to caddie during that time, hence, lost salary. Felt a bit miffed at first, but in the end, 2000 Bhat wouldn't have killed me and, maybe she was pulling a 'fast one', but I was just happy i wasn't back in France where, even with insurance, it could have been a lot more complicated.

Ever hit anyone and had any unpleasant repercussions?

Hit a low, screeching drive on a par 5 at Khao Kiew. Went into a flock of pidgeons (not to be confused with a gaggle of geese, a murder or crows or a parliament of owls). They all scattered, except for one. Must have hit it squarely on the noggin. Dead as a doornail. Felt horrible for days. Well, 2 holes anyway. :o

I remember a game last year, a flight in front of us drove, caught a caddie square in the bridge of the nose (this was about 200yds down the fairway) - the sound was horrendous, and then the screams :o

Poor lass got carted off - think she recovered but not enough to work.

There is also a one eyed instructor at the course - one eyed because a Korean woman didnt understand "dont hit the ball until i get out of the way"....he was going pro before that incident. :D

I hit caddy on leg with line drive, she was only 20 degrees to left of center of fairway, that opening was only 50 feet wide, she should have known better because this was the 7th hole and she had plenty of opportunity to see me play.

Fortunately the course had a mandatory 20baht insurance policy to cover up to B100,000 liability. She wanted to go to the Dr. and wanted me to give her money for that and for a couple of days pay as she could not work.

I gave her B100 for the first 9 holes, my wife gave her another 100 and we told her to see insurance company for the rest. We had asked for another caddy who showed up, but when she saw that was all the money she would get, she made miraculous recovery, sent that caddy back and finished the round without the limp.

They do anything they can to earn a Baht. One of my pet peeves is they order a drink, put in bag and sell it back to course after game, I had one ask for a Heniken when I said do you want a drink. I brought it to her, then opened it, watched her turn green and made her drink it, I think that was last time she tried that trick on a Farang.

I came about as close as you can to killing a golfing mate of mine a few months ago, and it was his fault. For some reason, he decided I was taking a practice swing when I wasn't, with a 3-wood. As I tend to hit it low, it went right in front of his face as he was trying to run across the fairway in front of me.

Had he of taken off one second sooner, it would have caught him square in the side of the head at maximum velocity. We still laugh about it, but at the time, I was sure I was about to be convicted of Manslaughter. Absolutely scared the crap out of us and our playing partners.

Poor decisions on a golf course can cost you.

Whose to say the western concept of "assumption of the risk" isn't the law in Thailand, however, that is not the way it is done, especially for falang and a Thai injured.

We all know what to do and those who refuse to pay and "make it right" suffer greatly.

Recall the story of the falang farmer down south who hit a girl with his jeep, she was on a motorcycle. Police told him to pay damages of 50K baht in addition to the hospital bills he had already paid. He refused, as it was clearly the girls fault.

After a year in jail, a court awarded 50k baht and the falang was deported.

not on a golf course, but years ago back in Scotland was practising on local park area and hit a nice 5 iron then saw it was heading for two guys sitting , shouted fore !! what I didn't realise was that they had bent a sapling right over and one was sitting on it holding it, well when he heard me shout he dived off and the sapling sprung back up into the other one's crotch .......ouch....lucky enough I knew theguys and had a laugh when he had recovered (about two days later)

KK boy

I hit caddy on leg with line drive, she was only 20 degrees to left of center of fairway, that opening was only 50 feet wide, she should have known better because this was the 7th hole and she had plenty of opportunity to see me play.

Fortunately the course had a mandatory 20baht insurance policy to cover up to B100,000 liability. She wanted to go to the Dr. and wanted me to give her money for that and for a couple of days pay as she could not work.

I gave her B100 for the first 9 holes, my wife gave her another 100 and we told her to see insurance company for the rest. We had asked for another caddy who showed up, but when she saw that was all the money she would get, she made miraculous recovery, sent that caddy back and finished the round without the limp.

They do anything they can to earn a Baht. One of my pet peeves is they order a drink, put in bag and sell it back to course after game, I had one ask for a Heniken when I said do you want a drink. I brought it to her, then opened it, watched her turn green and made her drink it, I think that was last time she tried that trick on a Farang.

Blimey - i know some Thai people like to make a quick buck but i'm not sure jumping in front of flying golf balls is really the best way to go :o

Back when i was a junior the lady captain at our club hit a swan flush in the neck and killed it instantly. We juniors thought it was hilarious but the poor old dear was traumatised for weeks......