BANGKOK
orlov

Illegitimate Child

I had a very brief relationship with a Thai woman whom I decided I didn’t want to see again. However she now tells me she’s pregnant and I accept I am probably the biological father. Predictably she’s demanding huge sums of money since I’m a farang and trying to blackmail me. However, doing a little research on Thai family law I found out, somewhat surprisingly, that there is no Thai law that compels the biological father to pay any child support to the mother where the child is illegitimate “unless the issue of the legitimation of the child is brought into the court”. But presumably legitimation could (and would) only be demanded by the father should he so wish. Anybody know more about this subject?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I've had a couple accusing me of doing similar things, the minute she starts asking you for 5000 Baht for a pregnancy test watch out

The time to watch out is when your sticking your wiggle stick in without a condom. 

• Like 2

If the child is born the mother can bring a paternity suit and ask the courts to determine you are the father and as a consequence also responsible for the maintenance of the child. 

Normally the curts will award a sum of between 3,000 and 5,000 baht a month, plus half of educational and medical cost for the child.

• Thanks 1

deny deny deny. then book the first reparation flight out of dodge. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1