BANGKOK
tgw

zolpidem in Thailand

because of Covid I have run out of Zolpidem (Brand name Stilnox / Ambien), which is a fast-acting and very short duration sleeping pill.

I have a prescription for Zolpidem, but I can't find a place that dispenses it - does anyone know where in the Pattaya area I could go?

Would the newish government hospital on soi Buakhow be worth a try?

It is off market in Thailand so I don't think you will be able to get it, at least not legally.

Note as well that foreign prescriptions are not valid in Thailand.

If you require domething for sleep you will either need to make do with drugs like melatonin. Doxylamine  and hydroxyzine (none of which require a prescription) or consult a doctor for a prescription med  -- but it can be difficult to get more thsn small wuantity and some are addictive.

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is off market in Thailand so I don't think you will be able to get it, at least not legally.

Note as well that foreign prescriptions are not valid in Thailand.

If you require domething for sleep you will either need to make do with drugs like melatonin. Doxylamine  and hydroxyzine (none of which require a prescription) or consult a doctor for a prescription med  -- but it can be difficult to get more thsn small wuantity and some are addictive.

yes, I can get Lorazepam and Diazepam easily, but I don't like them because long half-time.

Zolpidem has been ideal so far.

"off market" you mean it can't be obtained at all, even in government hospitals?

Correct unless you can find a place that syill has some on the shelves from before. It was marketed here in the past. I'm not sure how long ago it went off market.

Off market means the manufacturer no longer imports/ sells it in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Cprrect unless you can find a place that syill has some on the shelves from before. It was marketed here in the pasyt. I'm not sure how long ago it went off market.

Off market means the manufacturer no longer imports/ sells it in Thailand.

thanks, that aren't good news 😞

what's the procedure for importing medication that's not available in Thailand ?

11 hours ago, tgw said:

thanks, that aren't good news 😞

what's the procedure for importing medication that's not available in Thailand ?

It is illegal to bring in medications without an FFA import license (exception being with you when you enter the country). In practice customs will often let small quantities through but not of controlled substances which Zolpidem is. Don't risk it, you could get in real trouble.

Prescription only. Last time I tried, which was a decade ago, they gave 10 pills. Every now and then I simply skip a night completely to get the internal clock in sync instead of knocking it back with zolpidem. Not ideal but works. Melatonin and antihistamines don't do the trick for me.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It is illegal to bring in medications without an FFA import license (exception being with you when you enter the country). In practice customs will often let small quantities through but not of controlled substances which Zolpidem is. Don't risk it, you could get in real trouble.

so the procedure would be to find a Thai pharmacy and importer with an FFA license and have them order it for me, supposing I have a Thai prescription, right?

Edited by tgw

I don't think that can work as the manufacturer / distributor no longer markets it in Thailand. Likely their license to do so has expired and they chose not to renew it.

I have tried in the past for other meds that went off market. Impossible.

You are going to need to find an alternative medication or learn to sleep without meds.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't think that can work as the manufacturer / distributor no longer markets it in Thailand. Likely their license to do so has expired and they chose not to renew it.

I have tried in the past for other meds that went off market. Impossible.

You are going to need to find an alternative medication or learn to sleep without meds.

My sleep problems are stress induced, but I need the stress for working. If I take something with a longer half-life, I have huge difficulties getting myself to do something productive the next day.

Zolpidem has worked so well in the past years and is very cost-effective.

After a quick search, it seems possible alternatives to Zolpidem are:

- Eszopiclone
- Zaleplon

- Zopiclone

are any of them available in Thailand?

Edited by tgw

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, tgw said:

My sleep problems are stress induced, but I need the stress for working. If I take something with a longer half-life, I have huge difficulties getting myself to do something productive the next day.

To an extent, a non-pharma solution to stress induced lack of sleep is meditation. Gets your cortisol levels down. It ain't easy though, but better for your health. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23724462/

Edited by DrTuner

No. None of them.

The options in Thailand ate as I previously indicated plus some doctors use tricyclic antidepressents for this purpose.

The place in Pattaya most likely to still have some Zolpidem would be Bangkok Pattaya Hospital which caters to foreigners. It is an expensive hosputal and you would have to consult a doctor there, they do not sell meds not ordered by one if their own doctors. I don't give it more than 50-50 odds but can try.

Just now, DrTuner said:

To an extent, a non-pharma solution to stress induced lack of sleep is meditation. Gets your cortisol levels down. It ain't easy though, but better for your health. 

it's not irrational stress, it doesn't go away with relaxation.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Setiphos which you can get from iHerb is also helpful. And don't be too quick to dismiss melatonin.

But OP seems absolutely fixed on Zolpidem.

Just now, Sheryl said:

No. None of them.

The options in Thailand ate as I previously indicated plus some doctors use tricyclic antidepressents for this purpose.

The place in Pattaya most likely to still have some Zolpidem would be Bangkok Pattaya Hospital which caters to foreigners. It is an expensive hosputal and you would have to consult a doctor there, they do not sell meds not ordered by one if their own doctors. I don't give it more than 50-50 odds but can try.

well, thanks.

I know BPH, they are indeed very expensive, charging about 15 times the normal cost of medication.

I guess I will do with what I have on hand.