covid insurance

David gilbert

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

And what validity is needed?  2 weeks?

The consulate told me it was the duration of the visa for me. In my case it was 90 days. 

6 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

Do you reckon going through Thai immigration that they would even check if any insurance certificate was valid or fake,

The consulate/embassy looks at it first before they issue the COE, then the airline before they issue the boarding pass, and once you land in Bangkok they look at it again. But it was a quick glance from what I noticed to see if it covers covid 19 and the $100k. 

Can anyone tell me what company any of you went with and what the best price was? From the ASQ page on facebook, the cheapest I saw was Luma from Thailand for 7700 Baht for 3 months. I'm not sure if they are just pushing a certain company or not.

There was a link from this company awhile back:

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/

It's much cheaper at around $170 for 3 months.

I'm assuming one being a Thai company vs a foreign one shouldn't matter correct?

But, you never know.

Any info would be appreciated.

29 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

I used Pacific Cross. 32k for 1 year. You can always cancel and get a pro rata refund part way if you want. Check the Ts&Cs for details. 

Insurance companies care about your age and pre-existing conditions. Ethnicity / nationality does not factor into the risk calcs which define the premiums. Utterly irrelevant.

Thank you!

That link I put in above seems like a good deal but the website looks a bit dodgy...can't tell if I'm literally just paying for a piece of printed paper! 

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Why not annual travel insurance?

This from UK but presumably there is similar wherever you are based?

Travel insurance would probably be cheaper, I am just looking to see what cheap options others have used as I am not concerned with the best, just the minimum that would work.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 8:22 AM, stubuzz said:

And what validity is needed?  2 weeks?

On 8/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, Wars said:

The consulate told me it was the duration of the visa for me. In my case it was 90 days. 

The consulate/embassy looks at it first before they issue the COE, then the airline before they issue the boarding pass, and once you land in Bangkok they look at it again. But it was a quick glance from what I noticed to see if it covers covid 19 and the $100k. 

I was hoping to hear that in my case (non-Imm "O" visa based on family) the length of insurance coverage they required would be the same 90 day as the permission to stay provided by the visa.

Trawick offers a decent price on COVID only travel insurance.  Just don't tell them you that won't be returning from Thailand at the end of your O visa.  When I told them that once I was inside Thailand I would be applying for permission to stay for a year, Trawick didn't want to sell me the policy.

Edited by gamb00ler

5 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I was hoping to hear that in my case (non-Imm "O" visa based on family) the length of insurance coverage they required would be the same 90 day as the permission to stay provided by the visa.

Trawick offers a decent price on COVID only travel insurance.  Just don't tell them you that won't be returning from Thailand at the end of your O visa.  When I told them that once I was inside Thailand I would be applying for permission to stay for a year, Trawick didn't want to sell me the policy.

This site you mentioned gives exact quote as the dodgy made site above I linked. Any experience with this company? Is it reliable and will it work for this COE purpose?

Edit: Looks to be exactly what I thought the other site was from this site.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.trawickinternational.com

Edited by eastcst84
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, nomad2019 said:

Do you reckon going through Thai immigration that they would even check if any insurance certificate was valid or fake,

just a thought guys I'm not implying anything.

Outrages on so many levels.

*It cost a lot of money just to enter at this time, why risk everything just to save a small per cent of the total cost.

*Entering Thailand with fake documents, is anyone willing to take that risk for small money when they are aware of what consequences forgery can have? In Asia??? During a pandemic ?????

*What if you end up catching Covid-19? Since you cant afford insurance I am sure you can not afford all the expenses related to the treatment/quarantine. 

On top of this you will later have a legal problem after recovering.

Anyone faking a insurance document in the current situation must be 100% stupid

Edited by MrMilk

1 hour ago, eastcst84 said:

Is it reliable and will it work for this COE purpose?

Reliable who knows really, a lot of travel insurance they all have mixed reviews about paying out I mean its cheap "you get what you pay for" and yes it works for the COE purpose I used it to gain entry. I bought it because they make a good letter to show for the COE (since I have my normal health insurance in Thailand) it says the 100k coverage your name plus it says it covers covid 19 in that letter. Other insurances had a hard time writing a nice one without having to point things out to the consulate. I used world nomads at first and they had me highlight where does it show the 100k and covid 19 coverage. But other than that if you want a comprehensive coverage I would rely on something else. 

17 minutes ago, Wars said:

Reliable who knows really, a lot of travel insurance they all have mixed reviews about paying out I mean its cheap "you get what you pay for" and yes it works for the COE purpose I used it to gain entry. I bought it because they make a good letter to show for the COE (since I have my normal health insurance in Thailand) it says the 100k coverage your name plus it says it covers covid 19 in that letter. Other insurances had a hard time writing a nice one without having to point things out to the consulate. I used world nomads at first and they had me highlight where does it show the 100k and covid 19 coverage. But other than that if you want a comprehensive coverage I would rely on something else. 

Thanks for your experience and feedback, looks like exactly what I need. How quick did you receive the policy and letter after sign up?

Hello. Sorry, my English is not that good to understand the regulations of Emirates and their following promise:

Global COVID-19 cover
Free coverage of up to EUR 150,000 for medical expenses and EUR 100 daily for 14 days for quarantine costs.

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/covid19-cover/

So this is 100% safe and accepted globaly? They would pay the quarantine costs in Thailand if Thailand opens borders?

Thank you.

Edited by localhost

On 8/12/2020 at 7:30 AM, nomad2019 said:

just a thought guys I'm not implying anything.

For the  40000/400,000 Baht insurance required for  0-A visa application it cannot be faked.

The Insurance company (Thai Aetna, Pacific Cross etc.) updates the immigration database directly.

This will be likely checked by immigration at entry. 

I don't know about the Covid-19 $100,000 USD  insurance required for entry now I gave up on returning after March 30 or so when they shut the borders.

23 hours ago, localhost said:

Hello. Sorry, my English is not that good to understand the regulations of Emirates and their following promise:

Global COVID-19 cover
Free coverage of up to EUR 150,000 for medical expenses and EUR 100 daily for 14 days for quarantine costs.

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/covid19-cover/

So this is 100% safe and accepted globaly? They would pay the quarantine costs in Thailand if Thailand opens borders?

Thank you.

Read the link you posted carefully.... basically Yes to your questions but......

Assistance at any time when you fly between 23 July 2020 and 31 October 2020

Valid for 31 days - not much use if you plan to stay longer in Thailand

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, PatrickC said:

The length of your stay in Thailand - likely 1 year given you won't be going anywhere once you're in

49 minutes ago, MiclB said:

can you please expand on that.

Since most foreigners seeking the COE and entry have significant ties in Thailand, they won't be leaving in the near term.

In my case I will be entering on a single entry non-imm "O" visa based on marriage to Thai.  That visa allows me to stay only 90 days.  It is my intention to then get an extension based on marriage for an additional term of 1 year.  Thailand's COVID insurance requirements state I must have coverage for the duration of my visa.  I believe that my plan to get an extension doesn't mean I must get coverage for 15 months.  I should only need it for 90 days that the "O" visa is valid.

I'm not sure if those who already have a 1 year extension in their passport need COVID coverage for the remaining time on their permission to stay.  I haven't seen that situation explained on official websites or even discussed here on TV.

4 hours ago, PatrickC said:

Simple solution is just to get the insurance for 1 year. Don't over-complicate it.

I can certainly assess my risk much better than the insurance company does.  I live in a household of thoughtful and careful adults with very little business with outsiders.  Over the course of the last few months I have stopped touching my face and greatly increased my awareness of touching things exposed to others. The extremely low amount (if any) of virus in the general Thai population also makes my risk very low.  Insurance only protects my wallet not me.  I only buy enough COVID insurance to please the Thai border control folks.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1