BANGKOK

when the government want you to have $100,000 worth of covid insurance can it be just covid insurance or has it got to be the full health care scheme? Anybody know

It needs to cover covid - that is the main requirement. They won't check what else it does or does not cover.

Do you reckon going through Thai immigration that they would even check if any insurance certificate was valid or fake,

just a thought guys I'm not implying anything.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

Do you reckon going through Thai immigration that they would even check if any insurance certificate was valid or fake,

just a thought guys I'm not implying anything.

The only way to check it is valid is calling the insurer. Unlikely they'd go this far but you'd have to be stupid to use a fake document. 

• Like 1

And what validity is needed?  2 weeks?

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

The consulate told me it was the duration of the visa for me. In my case it was 90 days. 

6 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

The consulate/embassy looks at it first before they issue the COE, then the airline before they issue the boarding pass, and once you land in Bangkok they look at it again. But it was a quick glance from what I noticed to see if it covers covid 19 and the $100k. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, stubuzz said:

The length of your stay in Thailand - likely 1 year given you won't be going anywhere once you're in

Edited by PatrickC

Can anyone tell me what company any of you went with and what the best price was? From the ASQ page on facebook, the cheapest I saw was Luma from Thailand for 7700 Baht for 3 months. I'm not sure if they are just pushing a certain company or not.

There was a link from this company awhile back:

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/

It's much cheaper at around $170 for 3 months.

I'm assuming one being a Thai company vs a foreign one shouldn't matter correct?

But, you never know.

Any info would be appreciated.

49 minutes ago, eastcst84 said:

Can anyone tell me what company any of you went with and what the best price was? From the ASQ page on facebook, the cheapest I saw was Luma from Thailand for 7700 Baht for 3 months. I'm not sure if they are just pushing a certain company or not.

There was a link from this company awhile back:

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/

It's much cheaper at around $170 for 3 months.

I'm assuming one being a Thai company vs a foreign one shouldn't matter correct?

But, you never know.

Any info would be appreciated.

I used Pacific Cross. 32k for 1 year. You can always cancel and get a pro rata refund part way if you want. Check the Ts&Cs for details. 

Insurance companies care about your age and pre-existing conditions. Ethnicity / nationality does not factor into the risk calcs which define the premiums. Utterly irrelevant.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

I used Pacific Cross. 32k for 1 year. You can always cancel and get a pro rata refund part way if you want. Check the Ts&Cs for details. 

Insurance companies care about your age and pre-existing conditions. Ethnicity / nationality does not factor into the risk calcs which define the premiums. Utterly irrelevant.

Thank you!

That link I put in above seems like a good deal but the website looks a bit dodgy...can't tell if I'm literally just paying for a piece of printed paper! 

17 minutes ago, eastcst84 said:

Thank you!

That link I put in above seems like a good deal but the website looks a bit dodgy...can't tell if I'm literally just paying for a piece of printed paper! 

Pacific Cross is legit. Thai company. Not sure about the others. Check the Ts&Cs line by line.

• Like 1

Why not annual travel insurance?

This from UK but presumably there is similar wherever you are based?

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Why not annual travel insurance?

This from UK but presumably there is similar wherever you are based?

Travel insurance would probably be cheaper, I am just looking to see what cheap options others have used as I am not concerned with the best, just the minimum that would work.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2020 at 8:22 AM, stubuzz said:

On 8/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, Wars said:

The consulate told me it was the duration of the visa for me. In my case it was 90 days. 

The consulate/embassy looks at it first before they issue the COE, then the airline before they issue the boarding pass, and once you land in Bangkok they look at it again. But it was a quick glance from what I noticed to see if it covers covid 19 and the $100k. 

I was hoping to hear that in my case (non-Imm "O" visa based on family) the length of insurance coverage they required would be the same 90 day as the permission to stay provided by the visa.

Trawick offers a decent price on COVID only travel insurance.  Just don't tell them you that won't be returning from Thailand at the end of your O visa.  When I told them that once I was inside Thailand I would be applying for permission to stay for a year, Trawick didn't want to sell me the policy.

Edited by gamb00ler