Appointment needed to renew DL at Bangkok DLT?

JTXR

I thought I read someone that an appointment is required these days, but now I can't find it. 

Is an appointment needed?  (I'll be going from the initial 2-year driver license to the 5-year license).

5 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Yes, you have to make an appointment. I went on July 10th and the first available date was September 18th. That was at Bangchak.

You need to actually go there in person just to make an appointment?  You can't do it online or by phone?

Edited by JTXR

5 minutes ago, JTXR said:

You need to actually go there in person just to make an appointment?  You can't do it online or by phone?

Not sure if you can do it by phone. Their mobile appointment app doesn't work for foreigners. They were asking foreigners just to fill in the appointment book themselves at the front counter so I don't think there was anyone taking phone calls there. That wasn't long after they re-opened so maybe something different now.

I myself have been trying to get an appointment and sifting through there webiste gives no assistance.  The DLT app I downloaded just does not work at all.  I have resorted to sending e-mails to there customer support e-mail with no response, so I will head on over to the DLT here in Bangkok at Chatuchack after I try to phone them one last time.  The website also says they are not open and have suspended services.  It is a true cluster, as my medical cert will be expired before it seems I can get an appointment.covid-en-1

Will let you know tomorrow. Going to Bang Chak though and the lady there said no need for appointment. Chatuchak is 2-3 months wait. If you have tax number (you should as you apparently need work permit to ask for license), you can put your tax number into that ID card field of the app.

Why would you need a work permit for a Driver license.  As a Retiree, a licensed is needed to drive.  I do have a pink ID card, if that matters to them.  Bang Chak is just a little further away from the Lumpini Area, but if there are no appointments necessary I will take the BTS to that spot and do my business there.  It will be a first 2 year license for me, as I have always been able to utilize my California DL as I always left the country and then returned, but now with Covid and doing an extension of stay I need to make myself legal.

29 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Will let you know tomorrow. Going to Bang Chak though and the lady there said no need for appointment. Chatuchak is 2-3 months wait. If you have tax number (you should as you apparently need work permit to ask for license), you can put your tax number into that ID card field of the app.

She may have just meant that you can't make an appointment to go and make an appointment. When I was there, I was handed the appointment book, with the first available date in mid-September, and after I wrote that in myself she handed me a blank appointment card and asked me to fill it in myself following the date/time in the book. I'll be interested in how you get on. It looked they were only two sessions of 5 foreigners each day. I showed her I'd already watched the video online but she said that's not an option for foreigners either.

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I myself have been trying to get an appointment and sifting through there webiste gives no assistance.  The DLT app I downloaded just does not work at all.  I have resorted to sending e-mails to there customer support e-mail with no response, so I will head on over to the DLT here in Bangkok at Chatuchack after I try to phone them one last time.  The website also says they are not open and have suspended services.  It is a true cluster, as my medical cert will be expired before it seems I can get an appointment.covid-en-1

There is a small doctor's office almost by the gate at DLT Morchit/Chatuchak. Right on the junction of Phaholyothin Soi 18 - 5 minuntes from BTS Morchit. Doctor is barely alive himself but he can stamp and sign the required health cert for you. No appointment needed. About 250 Baht if I remember correctly. Takes 10-15 minutes. Not sure if you need one cert for each licence or if one cert will cover both car and bike licences these days. Google Maps here> https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@13.7978262,100.5512697,3a,25.8y,174.35h,94.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH0u_OWqN_51y7fKEVTQ97A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Once you have got that, walk to the gates of DLT. Enter and keep right. The driving licence office is 2nd or 3rd building on the right hand side. Reception on ground floor will check and copy docs as needed. Up to 2nd floor and into the system. They speak (shout) English. Be prepared for about 3 hours there.  

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 2

I think most foreigners can't use the phone app as you need a 13 digit ID number, and the DLT, uses the foreigner's passport number, I was fortunate to have a yellow book and pink ID card that has a 13 digit ID number (they're both the same number), I think that also applies to Work Permit holders as well.
I filled in the form and submitted it, and then a window popped open to chose my appointment date and time and I received a confirmation. Also you watch the video online and there's 3 questions that you have to answer during the video, in order to watch you have to use the same ID number.
the link to watch the video is www.dlt-elearning.com

DLT.jpg

• Like 1

My personal experience this week at Nonthaburi DLT. (thought I would try a less busier DLT location) 

Firstly let me preempt it with the online app Passport entry widget is disabled, I msg'd the developers and they informed me it's not functional.

So I prepared all the paperwork (plus some) for my 2 to 5 year renewal even downloaded the DLT form and filled it out. (found it by accident on a forum post).

Arrived with the wife (Thai) at 07:30 Tuesday morning; a bunch of about 40-45 Thais were waiting for the DLT 8:00 am opening. 

7:45 am a DLT heavyweight official came out and told them all if you don't have a pre-booked online appointment time basically <deleted> off and go online and book an appointment. 

Well after a lot of shouting and some language in Thai I suspect was not pleasant they all left. 

I prompted my wife to ask them well <deleted> are foreigners going to do we cannot book online for an appointment.

The DLT heavy weight politely replied correct, please come in an acquire a queue ticket and wait; you can book an appointment for a future test. 

Wife went up to the pre-processing counter at the entrance and they gave her a queue ticket,

Well we sat out under the circus big top cover in the humidity and an announcement sound system that was totally useless with all the others waiting; who has now rolled in with their online appointment number and licence renewal information. 

Not much social distancing on the plastic chairs that were set up next to each other.

An hour passed and we got called in with a group of 9 others to counter number 8; eventually arrived at the front of the counter and my wife said nothing!

Next thing the officer asked for my paperwork to check it's validity, like a rat up a drain pipe I whipped it out for my bag with my passport smiled at her and pushed it under the window slot.

She looked at it and said ok move to counter 7; another officer came out gave me back a number of documents I supplied (lease agreement and condo owners licence photocopy). 

She said take a seat; called us back in 5 minutes, validated the correct spelling of my name (which she could have got off my 2 year licence that had expired in July)..

Gave me all the paperwork back signed by the officer asked me to sign the bottom of a form and said go to 9 (the entry to the testing stations).

Went in did the electronic color chart test, the peripheral eyes color test and the distance alignment test of the two vertical rods.

Sat back down, got called in 2 mins, paid 505 Baht at booth 2, went to both 3 had my mugshot taken and sat down again.

Three mins later called to booth 3 to pick up my new 6 year Thai licence. 

What a morning there is a God or Buddha. 

The place was fairly busy but good crowd control, the motto of my experience is once inside the actual building with your queue ticker play dumb and just hand over your paper work.

The pre-processing queue checking police at the front door are the ones that validate your appointment time but the queue ticket you get as a Farang is the same color as the Thais waiting to get their paperwork processed and testing done.

So I guess give it a go what have to got to loose; as you either get lucky and get the licence on that day or you get a appointment date for a couple of months out. 

BTW my wife applied for her DLT licence online appointment in early June and her appointment date is scheduled for late September. 

• Like 2

I dropped by Bang Chak last Thursday (Aug 6) hoping to renew my 5 year license. I got an appointment for November 11.  I did ask the counter staff what I should do if I was stopped by the police with an expired license. They smiled and said, "Do what you always do: negotiate!"

I've put the yellow appointment slip in my wallet next to my expired license. Hopefully that might cut me some slack if the situation arises.

17 hours ago, dsj said:

I think most foreigners can't use the phone app as you need a 13 digit ID number, and the DLT, uses the foreigner's passport number, I was fortunate to have a yellow book and pink ID card that has a 13 digit ID number (they're both the same number), I think that also applies to Work Permit holders as well.
I filled in the form and submitted it, and then a window popped open to chose my appointment date and time and I received a confirmation. Also you watch the video online and there's 3 questions that you have to answer during the video, in order to watch you have to use the same ID number.
the link to watch the video is www.dlt-elearning.com

DLT.jpg

I tried that and it wouldn't accept my yellow book number.

My wife rung up the Chonburi DLT and tried to make an appointment and she was told it had to be done in person. We trotted along to DLT and first thing they did was look at my passport, my permission to stay had expired under the amnesty so she said no stamp no appointment.

Off to immigration and applied for 12 month extension then back to DLT with under consideration stamp and got appointment for Tuesday, 8 days waiting list.

On 8/13/2020 at 3:36 PM, KamnanT said:

I dropped by Bang Chak last Thursday (Aug 6) hoping to renew my 5 year license. I got an appointment for November 11.  I did ask the counter staff what I should do if I was stopped by the police with an expired license. They smiled and said, "Do what you always do: negotiate!"

I've put the yellow appointment slip in my wallet next to my expired license. Hopefully that might cut me some slack if the situation arises.

Thanks for this.  I will do the same.  I guess if you're involved in an accident while waiting for your appointment, the "yellow appointment slip" validates your insurance, even though your licence has expired?

On 8/13/2020 at 3:36 PM, KamnanT said:

Normally, what is the penalty for driving with an expired license in Thailand?

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

Normally, what is the penalty for driving with an expired license in Thailand?

400bht fine at the police station.

200bht on the spot fine.

100bht if you're good at haggling.

Up to you.

Edited by BritManToo

Headed tomorrow to the temporary Immigration location near CW at Muang Thong Thani in order to get 2 residence certificates so I can obtain a Thai Driver License, since my Pink ID card and yellow book are for a residence in Udon Thani and not where I live now, and the second one is for purchasing my new vehicle.  Then I will head over to the DLT and get signed in for an appointment sometime in the future.  I will report back on what transpired.

• 5 months later...

I am planning to apply for a new Thai Driving License with my country's driving license. Now awaiting for the Residence Certificate to be sent to me from Immigration Muang Thong Thani; expect to receive sometime early February 2021.

Does anyone has the latest experience at a Dept of Land Transport (DLT) office in Bangkok area recently? Appreciate feedback and suggestions on:

1. Booking appointment procedure and how soon (earliest date) is the appointment?

2. Best DLT location to get the earliest appointment.

3. The Residence Certificate and Medical Certificate is only valid for 30 days; so what happens if my appointment can only be fixed at a date later than 30 days?

4. My country's driving license will expire in mid February 2021. Can I still be eligible to apply for the Thai license if my license has expired? I can't return to Malaysia to renew my driving license due to the Covid-19 lockdown.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Lucian said:

I am planning to apply for a new Thai Driving License with my country's driving license. Now awaiting for the Residence Certificate to be sent to me from Immigration Muang Thong Thani; expect to receive sometime early February 2021.

Does anyone has the latest experience at a Dept of Land Transport (DLT) office in Bangkok area recently? Appreciate feedback and suggestions on:

1. Booking appointment procedure and how soon (earliest date) is the appointment?

2. Best DLT location to get the earliest appointment.

3. The Residence Certificate and Medical Certificate is only valid for 30 days; so what happens if my appointment can only be fixed at a date later than 30 days?

4. My country's driving license will expire in mid February 2021. Can I still be eligible to apply for the Thai license if my license has expired? I can't return to Malaysia to renew my driving license due to the Covid-19 lockdown.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I'm in almost the exact same situation except my Oz licence is not about to expire.

Recently (covid) made appointments not possible or very long wait to obtain one.

I have never used an agent for anything but I did discuss the issue with Fatboys in bkk.

They assured me that they could obtain an appointment. In your situation might be an option.

Can anyone advise on current situation with DL in Bangkok in relation to appointment and how far in advance are they. 

Attending MTT for residence certificate tomorrow. It seems they are being issued quickly now. 

An agent advised that they can obtain an appointment as they have "slots"

The RC is only valid for 30 days as I understand.

It is worth noting that there are at least five Bangkok DLT office/areas. 

I renewed my expired five-year license in September.

Made an appointment at Chatuchak (DLT area 1) for 9:00 on September 10th. Had my passport, yellow-book & pink ID. Was told that:

1. My permission to stay had to have 30 day left, and I only had 28, and:

2. I had to have a residence letter from immigration or the consulate.

Tried walking in at Lat Krabang (DLT area 4) Tuesday, September 15th. Had my passport, yellow-book & pink ID. Was told;

1. I would need to come back Monday, September 21 for an appointment, and:

2. It was recommended (but not required) I watch the video online before the appointment. 

Watched the video Sunday evening (PITA) and printed out my conformation.

Showed up Monday morning about 7:30, waited until about 8:30. Went through the documents check, and I only needed the video conformation and my old DL, yellow-book & pink ID and (of course) signed copies of each. Watched a five minute video that explained the tests:

1. Color

2. Peripheral 

3. Depth

4. Reaction

Took about five minutes to take all four tests, and another few minutes to get my que number for photo. About twenty minutes waiting to have my photo taken, and about five-ten minutes to have my photo take, pay the fee (B555), get my receipt and new license.

Was out by about 9:30. So with the pink-ID & yellow-book I did not seem to need my passport or visa renewal or the residence letter. which was nice. To be clear, they may have looked at my passport when I made the appointment, but I did not have to show it on Monday.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:24 AM, DrJack54 said:

I'm in almost the exact same situation except my Oz licence is not about to expire.

Recently (covid) made appointments not possible or very long wait to obtain one.

I have never used an agent for anything but I did discuss the issue with Fatboys in bkk.

They assured me that they could obtain an appointment. In your situation might be an option.

Hi Dr Jack, I have just scheduled an appointment with DLT Mochit on 9th Feb via BSR Bike Shop's service. Very prompt and responsive; they charge THB1500. Talk to Mark.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Hi Dr Jack, I have just scheduled an appointment with DLT Mochit on 9th Feb via BSR Bike Shop's service. Very prompt and responsive; they charge THB1500. Talk to Mark.

Thanks, I will take that advice. My previous RC valid period expired. Going to MTT tomorrow.

Someone reported that they got their RC back very quickly. 

I'm on the MRT and intend to use agent as am over the mucking around. You mention agent I'm assuming that they also do car license. Will check then out. Ta

18 hours ago, Lucian said:

Can anyone advise on current situation re appointments for DL.

I'm off to MTT shortly for RC however just received this reply from "Fatboys DL agent"

Screenshot_20210127-065546.png

On 1/27/2021 at 7:06 AM, DrJack54 said:

Can anyone advise on current situation re appointments for DL.

I'm off to MTT shortly for RC however just received this reply from "Fatboys DL agent"

Screenshot_20210127-065546.png

Dr Jack, I just spoke to K Pim of BRS Bike Shop and she confirms that DLT is still open for license renewal. However she did confirm that there were rumors of DLT closure but she has experienced no closures so far. Maybe you should talk to her 0850550247.

7 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Dr Jack, I just spoke to K Pim of BRS Bike Shop and she confirms that DLT is still open for license renewal. However she did confirm that there were rumors of DLT closure but she has experienced no closures so far. Maybe you should talk to her 0850550247.

Typo: Should read as "BSR Bike Shop". Yes they also do car license service.

2 hours ago, Lucian said:

Typo: Should read as "BSR Bike Shop". Yes they also do car license service.

Will do exactly that tomorrow.

Appreciate your help.

My advice is that they are now closed for new license. Not sure about renewal. 

Strange the imm can be open and DLT (for DL) not. 

The RC lasts only 30 days. Bloody ridiculous.

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Will do exactly that tomorrow.

Appreciate your help.

My advice is that they are now closed for new license. Not sure about renewal. 

Strange the imm can be open and DLT (for DL) not. 

The RC lasts only 30 days. Bloody ridiculous.

Spoke to BSR Bike Shop again yesterday evening. They will re-check and confirm the status of driver's license applications next Monday with DLT. Will update once I get the news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1