Planning on travelling a few days after the amnesty ends...

Drew3223

2 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Why you need to play whit destiny and overstay few days? Its something you have to do? I think nothing problem in domestic flight but why need push your luck !

calm down champ, it's just a 500 baht per day fine, if you have the money to pay it and are courteous and don't argue with immigration they really don't even care.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Why you need to play whit destiny and overstay few days? Its something you have to do? I think nothing problem in domestic flight but why need push your luck !

I'm doing it solely to <deleted> you off champ.

• Haha 1

I'm curious myself...  When the amnesty ends, will they start calculating your overstay on the last day of amnesty, or will they start calculating on the day your visa/extension expired. 

Common sense would say the former.  But the latter would sure light a fire under people to leave on time once the end of amnesty is announced.

Not sure how it works but if you apply for an extension close to your permission to stay date and they refuse, don’t you get a “7 days to leave” extension , which would fit in with your plan if correct.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Heppinger said:

calm down champ, it's just a 500 baht per day fine, if you have the money to pay it and are courteous and don't argue with immigration they really don't even care.

"Don't argue with immigration,they really don't even care."

Why would anyone argue at the airport when on overstay? And,yes,they do care. That's why you have to pay the 500 baht/day fine.

OP wrote >

To BKK, then onwards home. Surat Thani to BKK first.

Will I be okay when they check my passport at Surat Thani and see I am overstaying by two days?

So you plan to travel after 26 September with your permission to stay expired, from Surat Thani to BKK and then home.

The flight from Surat Thani to BKK is a domestic one so there is no Immigration check, the check-in counter only looks at your passport for ID.

When departing from BKK you will pass Immigration and then will have to pay the 500 THB over-stay for each over-stay day after 26 Sept (1 day overstay is waved).

If you overstay for more than 90 days, you will have to pay both the hefty fine and will be banned for 1 year.  Under 90 days it's just a matter of paying the fine, but you will get an 'overstay' stamp in your passport, which will often trigger extra scrutiny when presenting that passport to Immigration at future visits.

The only risk with overstaying even a couple of days is when you are being arrested by Police for an offense during overstay, but chances are small of that happening if you behave normally.

Overstay penalties.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Don't argue with immigration,they really don't even care."

Why would anyone argue at the airport when on overstay? And,yes,they do care. That's why you have to pay the 500 baht/day fine.

Why would anyone argue with immigration? because they are stupid maybe, i don't know. And no they don't care if you overstay, within limits, as long as you can pay for it.  They care about the 500 baht per day you will pay them and that's about it.  

On 8/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, impulse said:

I'm curious myself...  When the amnesty ends, will they start calculating your overstay on the last day of amnesty, or will they start calculating on the day your visa/extension expired. 

Common sense would say the former.  But the latter would sure light a fire under people to leave on time once the end of amnesty is announced.

Everyone on the visa amnesty have had their visas extended to September 26 th, so, the overstay should begin on the 27 th 

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

OP wrote >

To BKK, then onwards home. Surat Thani to BKK first.

Will I be okay when they check my passport at Surat Thani and see I am overstaying by two days?

So you plan to travel after 26 September with your permission to stay expired, from Surat Thani to BKK and then home.

The flight from Surat Thani to BKK is a domestic one so there is no Immigration check, the check-in counter only looks at your passport for ID.

When departing from BKK you will pass Immigration and then will have to pay the 500 THB over-stay for each over-stay day after 26 Sept (1 day overstay is waved).

If you overstay for more than 90 days, you will have to pay both the hefty fine and will be banned for 1 year.  Under 90 days it's just a matter of paying the fine, but you will get an 'overstay' stamp in your passport, which will often trigger extra scrutiny when presenting that passport to Immigration at future visits.

The only risk with overstaying even a couple of days is when you are being arrested by Police for an offense during overstay, but chances are small of that happening if you behave normally.

Overstay penalties.png

Thank you @peter Denis someone who knows what they are talking about.

Just curious - this one year bad for long overstays, if a person the got a new passport, would Thai officials know if and when said person returned to the country less than one year later?

Just curious.

16 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

Just curious - this one year bad for long overstays, if a person the got a new passport, would Thai officials know if and when said person returned to the country less than one year later?

Am not 100% sure about this but I believe the overstay-stamp in your old passport is not registered in the Immigration system, so a 'virgin' new passport will not trigger the extra scrutiny your old passport with the overstay-stamp might.

The ban when on +90 day overstay or arrested when on overstay, is of course registered in the immigration system and when trying to enter Thailand before it expired, you will get flagged and prohibited from entering.