BANGKOK
Brunolem

Lessons learned from the covid 19 pandemic

Fixed it.

"Besides having made us me an (unpaid) medical expert in a matter of months, what other lessons has the covid 19 pandemic taught us me?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Western governments were caught with their pants down, and messed up badly when it came to dealing with the pandemic.

Would you have been better prepared if you had been part of such a government? You saw this coming and you were prepared for this situation?

Certainly mistakes have been made in my home country. But I am convinced they did their best.

Edited by dimitriv

The only part of your post I can agree with is that in Covid, just as WWII, caught the western democracies with their pants down while the Germans were ready.

What's left of your post seems to indicate that you believe the World should be ruled by dictatorships.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

What's left of your post seems to indicate that you believe the World should be ruled by dictatorships.

Only if you think that Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and many others are dictatorships...

It seems to me that the most authoritarian, and least efficient, measures were taken by so-called democratic regimes...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

1. Western governments are inept

The numbers speak for themselves.

There is no need to search for complicated explanations, Western governments were caught with their pants down, and messed up badly when it came to dealing with the pandemic.

Not all. 

eg New Zealand. Have very sensible Prime Minister. Quite lovely. Not speak rubbish.

Half the covid deaths in the world is Brazil, USA and UK. IMO this country’s Prime Minister/President is loons. Argue with doctors, bleach, promote drugs that not work.

In UK and Brazil the prime minister/president have Covid. 

Boris go to covid hospital, proud to shake EVERYONE hand. I interested know about how many die because he spread it. 

And Brazil guy do the same, no mask, shake hands. 

Idiots. Really.

Three idiots= 500,000+ will die. World economy terrible for long time. 

Which one the biggest idiot? Hmmm, not sure. 

Amazing guys.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Half the covid deaths in the world is Brazil, USA and UK. IMO this country’s Prime Minister/President is loons. 

Don't forget India, France, Italy, Spain, Russia and others who didn't do much better...

Lessons learned?

People in general didn't learn anything. It's not only the governments.

What do they all do? As soon as possible start traveling again and spreading the virus all over again, 2nd wave, 3rd wave etc.

Is it so difficult to stay in the same city/village for more then 6 months?

• Like 1

Same bla bla bla over and over again! Only head line chance! 

I learn't how much money I have wasted in the bars over the last 20 years

• Haha 1

It will totally change the US election I believe.

In January, it seemed Trump was a shoe in.  No Covid, stock markets at all time highs, no BLM issues.

Now, I think he is a dead duck mostly because of his incompetence being exposed.

It is easy to drop bombs on other countries, but critical thinking is a much different matter and he appears to have none of it.

• Like 1

I agree with all he OP's points. Lack of critical thinking is evident and sad. Loss of freedom of speech is by far the most dangerous outcome.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever."

George Orwell (1984).

Perhaps that should become "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a mask on a human face—for ever."

Spot the difference … and similarities. The quote from 1984 represents the way in which power has created humanity's oppression. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

This is the usual mistake: conflating the subject and the author.

It's like if you said that one can't complain about a surgeon who just messed up an intervention, because one couldn't do better. 

I am not a government, not even a small part of one.

So there is no reason for me to do better than political leaders, no more than there are reasons for them to perform better than me in my (former) professional specialty.

A surgeon studied 10+ years to be a surgeon. You can expect that he does his job well.

No political leader studied to fight Covid virusses. It's something new for everybody. Nobody was prepared. The only thing you do is sitting behind your computer blaming people without having a solution yourself, and without being able to do it better yourself.