76 people killed on Thai roads on Tuesday, 483 killed in August - year's fatalities top 8,500

webfact

Personal anecdotes are completely irrelevant.... they just feed confirmation bias and have no scientific basis whatsoever.

For those who are so concerned with driving of other 4 wheel vehicles, you might bear in mind that statistically you are LESS likely to die in ThaIand than in the USA.

28 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Quite frankly I think that racist attacks inulting Thai people on this thread are quite disgusting and do nothing but display the profound ignorance of the posters.

You, like some others on this site, confuse racism with valid criticism. It is beyond question that Thailand has among the most dangerous drivers in the world, and I listed the reasons for that and why it won't change. To say so has nothing to do with race but with reality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You, like some others on this site, confuse racism with valid criticism. It is beyond question that Thailand has among the most dangerous drivers in the world, and I listed the reasons for that and why it won't change. To say so has nothing to do with race but with reality.

Why is it racists spend so much time arguing that what they say isn't racist?

Your theory appears to be this.....

That Thai drivers are inherently worse than others like yourself?

That the "Safe System" of road safety is not the answer? Why?

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The racist card has nothing to do with LOS driving, I am married to a Thai, who I had to train not to be dangerous on the road.

Do you live in LOS....?

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

I'm a white guy from the UK

I had a brown wife from British Guyana

I was engaged to a black girl from New York

One of my best friends was an Indian I affectionally called Turbie, with whom I holidayed

I shared a house with an Indian family

I am married to a Thai for 30 years

And, in your ignorance, you label me a racist?

Oh and yes, many Thai drivers are inherently worse than not just me, but most people. Read the death figures. Thailand number 1. And that is a fact and has absolutely nothing to do with racism. Again, as you didn't get it the first time, criticism is not the same as racism. Except in your mind, I guess.

Your argument by your own words is racist ....

"many Thai drivers are inherently worse.........." etc etc.

A good way to spot a racist is by the cliches they use...check out racists who say...

"some of my best friends are"

"I cant be racist, I'm married to one..."

To me your post just confirms my suspicions.

So not only that but you take a racist attitude to road safety and ignore the science.

You really dont even know what safe system is...do you?

..and you can't Google it....yet.

Edited by Airbagwill

On 8/13/2020 at 11:02 AM, jwbrit said:

Education for how to drive and use the road with other moving objects. Also understand that a bottle of whiskey is not an auto accessory.

This is the problem with how so many people see road safety. i.e. in terms of the drivers.

It obviously would help if drivers are better aware of safety issues but it overlooks the overall situation in Thailand - the roads themselves are dangerous.

Every country has about the same proportion of idiot drivers and mostly normal drivers. The key to road safety is preventing theses people from doing what they do and if necessary keeping them apart, and then mitigating subsequent damage and injury if they make a mistake.

In reality, in all countries it is perfectly normal drivers who through human error get into trouble. Safe system prevents this in some countries the target is now ZERO. The roads themselves are inherently better designed, engineered and constructed. The road furniture is better positioned and natural obstacles are removed or protected. Thai is doing very little about this.

So long as people thing that road safety is a simple issue down to driving ability then nothing will improve - as has been shown over the past 3 decades.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:55 AM, loong said:

IT is about time that the authorities realised that they could cut road accidents by half simply by burying all power cables and of course removing these highly suicidal power poles.

This is part odf "Safe System" - road design and traffic egineering.

The Uk and Thailand actually have similar numbers of tffic incidents yet the death rate in Thailand is 10 times that of th UK.

Unlike those who just blame drivers, there are similar numbers of idiots in countries like Uk. The difference is 

firstly preventing them from loosing control or making unusual manoeuvres and secondly once they have lost control, limiting the damage they incur.

Romoving telegraph poles is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to designing the edges (and centres) of roads.

Removal of hard objects, increasing visibility and shock absorption are all part of that package.