I want to learn how to grow coconuts ?

Petervn

Coconuts growing is easy, without disease...more difficult. I have had a coconut as small as 30cm, put it in a big hole with good soil, and now 4 years later, he is massive, almost 8 meter high. Try to get in contact with someone working in the government. Because every 2 years guys from them do inject coconut trees with some special product against the bugs and other infestations. Everyone here around let them do their job. A lot depends on the height of the tree and the age. I really see improvement after the treatment. Good luck????

8 minutes ago, Brayka said:

Coconuts growing is easy, without disease...more difficult. 

Quite, even the locals have problems. The land next door to us, about 6 acres, is just coconuts and in the last couple of years has lost over 50 percent to the insects.

We have quite a few, my sister in law looks after them, and she loses a some every year, continually replanting.

Yes, easy to plant a coconut (just wait until one shoots), but after that ...... we have planted about 20 in the last 2 years - about 12 left, and growth has been poor. Do have about 20 older trees. 

Biggest problem with the mature trees is squirrels - eat about half the nuts.

• Like 1

I just put a budding coconut in the ground – in my place sand – and wait seven years...????

I've been told it's important that the palm gets salt at some point to produce coconuts, but as I live by the sea, salt is not a problem, and the fully grown palms produce numerous new coconuts three to four times a year...????

wIMG_0154_baby-coconut-palm.jpg.38ee2a554fb83a9c150f51ab9f88bd56.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

I just put a budding coconut in the ground – in my place sand – and wait seven years...????

I've been told it's important that the palm gets salt at some point to produce coconuts, but as I live by the sea, salt is not a problem, and the fully grown palms produce numerous new coconuts three to four times a year...????

I have a Thai friend he say put some sea  salt around the base of the palm .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

THAT is very close to the home, it seems... prepare for the big booms on the roof someday

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tracker said:

THAT is very close to the home, it seems... prepare for the big booms on the roof someday

555, thanks for your comment, but no big booms will come. I'm normally very organized, so I have of course carefully calculated ballistic curves for falling coconuts, taking wind direction and speed into consideration, combined with years experience, before I put my new "baby" into the sand in the selected point.

The coconuts will land in the sand – so will the more heavy, and more scary, palm leafs mainly also do – and when coconuts fall down on their own, they are actually quite light in weight.

If you look just behind my latest baby palm, you'll see the log of a huge palm that is standing on my beach terrasse. It's probably more than 12 meters high now, more like 15 meters as it's taller than the house, and it was originally set as a deed marker between two land plots, but after later satellite measure it stands on my side. On the other beachfront side the marker palm is exactly in the middle, so I own only half of it, but I kindly let my neighbor harvest all the coconuts. The palms are gently bending to the beach side, so falling nuts end there, even when it's windy; however a palm leaf can still boom down on the terrasse.

The nuts will normally be be cut before the falling-by-itself stage, either by one of Samui's coconut picking monkeys – to keep them having jobs in the future, I'm not in export business – or by an experienced professional human monkey...

707769191_316)wIMG_4636_coconut-monkey.jpg.c8572494b62ff2418d773ed803ae7163.jpg

The photo-collage of coconut cutting is from 2016, just before the latest baby was set...????

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1