Chiang Mai: All local authorities to report on illegal hotels, accommodation in their districts

webfact

Chiang Mai: All local authorities to report on illegal hotels, accommodation in their districts

7pm.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

The authorities in Chiang Mai have been told to speed up surveys of illegal hotels and other accommodation in their jurisdictions. 

The government wants to find out the extent of businesses that have been allowed to continue operating in a grace period that ends in August of next year.

All districts and municipalities and other sub-districts have been ordered to compile statistics and submit them by the 20th of this month.

Four years ago certain establishments were given a five year period to get legal, this ends next year, reported Chiang Mai News.

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-13

Is this just a revamp of last years investigation.  The one of Condo Developers renting Condo's as Hotel space?  I don't remember ever hearing what happened with that investigation.  Hua Hin was supposed to threaten to dismantle some of these il-legal"Hotels".  I have not seen or heard of this being done.  Though they might have been inviting options for tourists  these condo's for short term rent did little to help legitimate Hotels and Guest Houses.

Edited by american2
misspelling

17 minutes ago, american2 said:

Is this just a revamp of last years investigation.  The one of Condo Developers renting Condo's as Hotel space?  I don't remember ever hearing what happened with that investigation.  Hua Hin was supposed to threaten to dismantle some of these il-legal"Hotels".  I have not seen or heard of this being done.  Though they might have been inviting options for tourists  these condo's for short term rent did little to help legitimate Hotels and Guest Houses.

I think this is a building that calls itself a hotel, operates like a hotel, but has no hotel registration or license. Don't think it's about condos where owners of units rent them out daily.

5 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Lets kill tourism a bit moaaaar. Stick a knife in tourisms back while it's already bleeding on the groundddddddd

galaxy brains...... governments are the worst

Actually closing down illegal venues that could be killing their guests by following no safety standards should be beneficial to tourism. Or maybe you prefer to stay at a fire death trap, in a room disinfected by poison, use a shower and pool with a few wires messed up, nothing serious, just electrocutes you when you touch it... and get a killer breakfast if you survive till the morning? If memory still serves me right, all these happened... in Thailand. Oh, and let's add elevator in free fall with broken brakes...

Can this only happen at illegal places? No, but at least legal ones get inspection from time to time, as little as that's worth.

• Like 1