Pets

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Vets here, that quote the nonsense that they can't put a very sick animal out of its misery are pathetic hypocrites, who don't deserve the right to practice animal medicine.  Just religious mumbo jumbo stopping them doing a job that they should be doing, indeed, have a duty to do.  

It is not all vets. We had a similar situation to the OP and because of the age the vet wanted to put the dog to sleep but my sister in law insisted he remove the tumor, about the size of a grapefruit sticking out the side. The dog survived and had another good 6 months before the tumor returned, and one day never woke up.

If I remember right it was about 500 baht to have it put down and disposal, as opposed to around 4000 for the operation. I suspect many may blame the vet rather than want to pay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mike k,   I am not sure where you live  -   if in a larger city look around for a Vet who is willing to euthanize your dog.   If your dog is genuinely suffering this is the humane thing to do.

I bred and exhibited show dogs in Australia for many years,   and have sadly had to have this done a number of times over the years.    In fact just 2 or 3 weeks ago had to have my old 11 1/2 year old put to sleep.    It is very quick and the humane solution if your dog is suffering.

It is true that in general the Vets here are not keen on doing this   -   but some of the younger ones understand that at times this is sadly the best option.   Good luck.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

very useful link.  Thank you.  I already have the necessary equipment.  This has to be one of the best ways.  I had already decided to use this method for my next sick dog.  This article explain how to do it very well.  You just replace the dogs air with an inert gas.  Argon, also works.

Edited by Toany
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

Apparently it has to do with Buddhist beliefs, or so I am told. The idea is that the dog was a person in a previous life. 

Yes, it's true. My previous flat owner from whom I rent the flat was a dog before he was re-incarnated as a person . I did all the minor repairs in the flat and he knew it. I didn't ask for any payment for those repairs done.

He didn't appreciate all I did, so I guess he will be a dog again next coming re-incarnation. He will be a street dog. He will come begging for food because he will recognize me. Then what happen? I kick him of course.

That kicking cause me to be re-carnated as a cat. A cat constantly chase by a dog. Suffering going round in circle. Did Buddha said that? Maybe, but that's the idea floating around these days.

• Haha 1

I understand that there are a few vets in Thailand who will put a dog to sleep if absolutely necessary. You just have to keep searching for one. 

Some of the larger practices have a non Thai vet but not easy to find.

• Like 1

Bring it up with your VET before its time. If he indicates they wont do it, ask them if they know a vet that will.

We had a 10 month old giant dog that was suffering. They pointed us to another local vet which refused based on age, but pointed us further to yet another vet. He saw enough in a few minutes and did the procedure.

Since then we switched vets. I want a vet that is willing to put a dog down when needed, not one that lets dog suffer to rack up a bill. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UTH001 said:

A few years ago, I discussed that matter with my young vet, to make sure she would assist, should there be a need. I did not want any "surprises" (i.e. religious objections) and was ready to change vets if she was not willing to help.

Luckily, she agreed to assist, should any of my dogs become too sick or/and were in pain. Unfortunately the time came when there was nothing more that could be done for one of my dogs, she came to my house, the dog got an injection and died peacefully.

I suggest to everybody to discuss the 'topic' with the vet before it happens. Then you have the option to move to another practice where the vet is more "enlightened". Letting an animal suffer because of religious reasons is something I battle to comprehend...

good advice, not to wait until it becomes urgent. Be prepared 

• Like 1

More than 10 years ago vets in Thailand would sell the drugs so that people who wanted a dignified exit could have one.  There were websites and news articles about it  https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/cheap-flight-to-thailand-for-euthanasia-drugs-ng-55eac8613b1fb7e794d1340d8a577adb 

Now not so easy unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Same rule for humans in most countries. It is actually illegal to stop the suffering. Unbelievable.

Nonsense. It's not illegal in any country to put a sick/injured dog to sleep. Don't confuse a dog with a human being. 

• Haha 1

This is Thailand.

They do not believe in euthanasia or palliative medicines.

In their warped philosophy all beings suffer because of their bad karma so their suffering is their own fault.
The fact the suffering can be ended with pain medicine isn't their bother.  So vets and doctors ignore animal as well as human suffering which they have the ability to control though drugs that they are loathe to administer.

It's really a very warped outlook.  But?  TIT.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 2:23 PM, Pilotman said:

Vets here, that quote the nonsense that they can't put a very sick animal out of its misery are pathetic hypocrites, who don't deserve the right to practice animal medicine.  Just religious mumbo jumbo stopping them doing a job that they should be doing, indeed, have a duty to do.  

They are not real vets if cant euthanasia's  a sick and dying animal in pain.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 2:23 PM, Pilotman said:

Right ! But a bit of threatening and the vet just understand that someone else could be put to sleep, then he will obey !

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 9:39 AM, Davut said:

Mike k,   I am not sure where you live  -   if in a larger city look around for a Vet who is willing to euthanize your dog.   If your dog is genuinely suffering this is the humane thing to do.

I bred and exhibited show dogs in Australia for many years,   and have sadly had to have this done a number of times over the years.    In fact just 2 or 3 weeks ago had to have my old 11 1/2 year old put to sleep.    It is very quick and the humane solution if your dog is suffering.

It is true that in general the Vets here are not keen on doing this   -   but some of the younger ones understand that at times this is sadly the best option.   Good luck.

I live in kabin buri there's one vet here he won't do it the vet I originally took her to was in prachin buri