Majority of Scots support independence from UK - YouGov poll

snoop1130

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I disagree, the nats wanted separation from the English before the EU referendum and after the referendum they still wanted separation, infact they have wanted separation before you and myself were born, so it can be said without fear of contradiction that Brexit had Sweet Fanny Adams to do with separation.

How is that any less worthy than the people on here who tell us they wanted out of the EU since the 70s? You may not agree with their aspirations, but they are no less people of conviction. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

How is that any less worthy than the people on here who tell us they wanted out of the EU since the 70s? You may not agree with their aspirations, but they are no less people of conviction. 

What has that got to do with my post, I stated you wanted out before and after the referendum and was a reply to a poster that stated that Scots Indy and Brexit are intertwined, so irrespective of Brexit you would have wanted out, am I right or am I correct?

The SNP have been in government in Scotland since 2007 and are about to be returned with a large majority under a parliamentary system specifically designed to prevent any party gaining a majority. Knocks any suggestion of SNP incompetence into a cocked hat, I am afraid. 

Poll shows SNP on course for huge Holyrood win as backing for independence also increases

"THE SNP is on course for a crushing victory at the next Holyrood election, according to a new poll. 

The snapshot found the Nationalists on 57% in first-past-the-post constituencies, which would help the SNP secure a sizeable majority. "

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Have you ever tasted stovies? One of the finest dishes known to man, but the fact is that no two housewives follow the same recipe - there are as many variants as there are cooks in Scotland. Independence is a bit like that - ask 1000 supporters why, and you will get 1000 different answers. 

I generally don't eat foreign food.????????

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, vogie said:

What has that got to do with my post, I stated you wanted out before and after the referendum and was a reply to a poster that stated that Scots Indy and Brexit are intertwined, so irrespective of Brexit you would have wanted out, am I right or am I correct?

So why does support for independence keep growing and support for the union keep falling if its nothing to do with Brexit?

What other reason do you suspect may be behind it?

1 minute ago, tebee said:

Not so, Scotland is rightfully upset that in the independence referendum they were told if the voted for independence they  would lose their EU membership.

Now, after they voted to stay in the EU again they find themselves . being dragged out unwillingly by the UK.

And any argument about the UK losing it's sovereignty by being part of the EU is equally valid for Scotland being part of the UK.

Government by unelected bureaucrats in London is not what they want!

Now, after they voted to stay in the EU again they find themselves . being dragged out unwillingly by the UK.

tebee, Scotland are part of the UK, it was a United Kingdom vote. Stop trying to move the goal posts now, not everybody in Scotland voted to remain, that's how democracy works.

1 minute ago, tebee said:

But there you are exactly stating the problem - because it was applied on a UK basis, Scotland was denied it's democratic choice - hence the wish to be independent! 

They don't want to be independant, the 2014 referendum proves this and unless there has been another referendum twixt 2014 and now, that is the only proof we have.

IMG_20200729_064130.jpg

36 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

<snip>

I'm Scottish, lived here all my 55 years, I never hear anyone talking about independence, this is the press as usual.....

I am English, lived in England for all but 1 year of my 64 years.

Prior to 2016, never heard anyone talking about leaving the EU.

So, using your argument, we shouldn't have had a referendum in 2016!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

I'm Scottish, lived here all my 55 years,

Dear lord, that is like a cataclysmic explosion of Daily Express headlines all fighting for prominence. It is a bit challenging to peel them apart, but try I will.

30 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

I'm Scottish, lived here all my 55 years, I never hear anyone talking about independence

And this is indicative of what other than your perception of your surroundings?

30 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

this is the press as usual but also brexit nonsense is now being thrown in to the mix, basically remainers from England hoping Scotland leave to spite the Brexiteers, it's quite pathetic.

I must admit, I am confused here. Are you suggesting that 54% of the population of Scotland is made up of English remainers? 

33 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

as i said no one talks about independence, there's no debate going on,

Quite clearly that is not the case - really, maybe it is you?

34 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

what currency scotland would use,

My preference - start with the UK pound, transition to a Scottish pound then, depending upon whether we decide to join the EU, maybe the Euro. But I am no economist so I am happy to defer to the experts. 

35 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

how they are going to get back into the EU when Spain have their big Catalonia problem

This has been debunked so many times - I am not sure how much assurance you need to start to see how this is a non issue. 

36 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

how Scotland can take on their share of the UK debt without it's economy collapsing?

They will service any accepted debt as will rUK. As rUK is incapable of paying off its debt, it will not require to be paid off by Scotland either. Servicing of the debt will be sufficient. 

37 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

in 2014 one week before the referendum Yes took the lead and then the supermarkets came out and said that shopping in Scotland would be more expensive if they were independent, that was enough to send the polls the opposite way.

Big corporations have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo? Hardly a shocker. Thankfully, the stupidity of Brexit has woken many up to just how much our prices are going to rise once we are out of the EU. They want back in.

39 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

Scotland would be more like Greece of 2 years ago if the became independent, we Scots don't want that 

I appreciate that this is some internet meme, but can you explain, technically, why that would be? I would dearly love to see some sort of credible explanation. And if you could also explain how you know that 'Scots don't want that' when you are adamant that there is no ongoing discussion about independence, that would be just dandy.

41 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

I am one of the silent majority who will vote to stay

Again, how do you know if there is no debate at all? That said, every poll this year has independence in the lead so are you sure about that majority?

42 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

just as before but the sex pest Alex Salmond said last time this was a "once in a generation vote" so BJ stick to your guns don't allow another vote, 

That is a libelous statement which has been proven in a court of law to be false. Shame on you for smearing a man's reputation for political gain.

43 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

the SNP is full of

in-fighting and are about to implode, just give them another couple of years, some are already gunning for Sturgeon.

You miss the point of independence. It is not about getting the SNP into power in an independent Scotland. It is about independence itself. The vehicle to take us there becomes less important when we arrive.

44 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

and by the way Scotland has one of the worst covid death rates in the world, thousands died because they empoted the hospitals of old folks they could send back to a home without testing any of them, it caused a massacre of our old folks!..............have no clue why they can say Sturgeon and her government have handled this well as the numbers of dead show they havent.

They say it because it is true, I am afraid. Admittedly stymied by the intransigence and incompetence of Johnson and his corrupt cabinet at the outset, the Scottish Government has shown true leadership and capability throughout, while Johnson's approach has led to thousands of needless deaths. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 1:51 PM, Rookiescot said:

You can if you want but given its nowhere near the Scottish border it might be a waste of time.

Just give the population of Northumberland a vote too. Maybe they join Scotland and Not England ( Anglia, Mercia, Kent and the Saxions)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Maybe I should post on every topic I find on TV "I'm not interested/bored/whatever with this topic", or "Stop bleating about this topic". You know,  just to make my mark!!

Yes please go ahead, it would be a vast improvement on the regular <deleted> you post.

Good suggestion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, nausea said:

Nationalism may be getting in the way of rational thinking. The Scots are always gonna have a bigger say being part of the UK, than being part of some conglomerate called the EU. Up to them. England will probably be wealthier, if less influential, without them. 

The Scots have now nothing to say, as all is done by Londoners. When EU member state nr 28, they will be heard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Please read this slowly. If Scotland leaves the UK and joins the EU, do you think there will be no need for any form of customs border between Scotland and Wales/Northern Ireland? You think the EU will just let goods flow freely between Wales (which is part of the UK) and Scotland (which would be part of the EU)?  

I'm sure Barnier would love that!

Same regulation as between Northern Ireland and the rest op the UK: a customs border in between ( despite Boris the Liar likes to call it different).

2) What Barnier loves... I hope his wife is interested, but what counts is the mandate he got from the EU Council = heads of Government of the 27 remaining EU member states. An agreement has to pass them and after.. the 27 national parliaments of each EU member state... Just one, who wants to kill the UK car export into the EU, or the financial services of the City into the EU and we have a No Deal Brexit ( in 24 weeks )

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Clearly you didn't understand the physical geography or you wouldn't have written something as utterly nonsensical as:

But now I am intrigued. Where will this Wales/Scotland border checkpoints be physically located? 

At the same place as between Wales and the EUafter transport via sea or overland via England..... So difficult ? Will change, when S+N Ireland, Scotland and Wales form the "Gealic confederation" ( like Belgium is now: 4 entities) 

• Like 2