Majority of Scots support independence from UK - YouGov poll

snoop1130

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I believe this dramatic change means Scotland should be given the choice of whether to remain part of the UK outside the EU,

But in the referendum they chose to remain in the UK. Job done and get on with life. Just cuz it's now a few years later they can't be expected to have another referendum cuz they want one. For me I wouldn't give 2 <deleted>s if the jocks f***ed off. Bunch of winging ......................... Always blaming the English for their self inflicted woes.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

He is, without a doubt, my favourite unionist of all time. I wonder where he stands in respect to membership of the EU ...

I do hope we get to see more of him during indyref2 - if nothing else, for the pure comedy gold of his performance.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

But in the referendum they chose to remain in the UK. Job done and get on with life. Just cuz it's now a few years later they can't be expected to have another referendum cuz they want one. For me I wouldn't give 2 <deleted>s if the jocks f***ed off. Bunch of winging ......................... Always blaming the English for their self inflicted woes.

Lot has changed in the UK since 2014, like for example they exited the EU.

Take note, when Scotland leave the UK, your scotch will get more expensive, but that's maybe the main reason why don't want them to be independent.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 5:40 PM, Mavideol said:

finally, now let's see if the government is listening , BJ and the remainers will not be very happy 555

Go Scotland

So you think what less than 10% of a countries population thinks should be enough to divide a nation.

So much jealousy of the UK, just as the US. 

See how you go with Germany, France or Aussie stepping up to the plate to defend democracy when Vlad or Xi decide to make a grab.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

In 1975 UK the voted to remain in what became the EU. So using your argument the 2016 referendum was wrong and so the result should be ignored.

Why have a EU referendum in 2016 just because Farage wanted one?

1975 to 2016 - 41 years. That would put the next Scottish Referendum at about 2055.

Sounds about right for the next Ms Sturgeon's once in a lifetime as long as she likes the result referendum!

Edited by Baerboxer

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

1975 to 2016 - 41 years. That would put the next Scottish Referendum at about 2055.

Sounds about right for the next Ms Sturgeon's once in a lifetime as long as she likes the result referendum!

Point missed; not surprised.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you think the 90+ rest of the UK population give a sheet what the less than 10% of the UK population think?

If you don't 'give a sheet' about what the majority of the population of Scotland thinks, why do you care so much about them wanting independence?

• Like 2

Alex Salmond is a sex pest, it's only liable if it's not true, he admitted in court to his sexual conduct, he denied rape or breaking any laws but he admitted

to many other things which me be why he turned up in court every day with his sister and not his wife, the behaviour he admitted to in court was shameful

and for a guy who was the SNP's poster boy for decades.

no one talks about inedpendence in Scotland, except, the press, politicians and those loonies that go about with their faces painted blue and white,

like the idiots standing at the border in full PPE shouting at cars telling the English to go home, embarassed to be Scottish when I saw that

and as far as economics go there will never be an argument of how Scotland will be financially better of in the short to medium term because a solution doesn't exist,

maybe 30 or 40 years from now??? after a lot of pain for it's population in the meantime, oil is finished, no new oil fields can make a profit in the north sea  at under $80.

Scotland will go through years of pain, upheaval and torment and for what so a bunch of politicians can get their egos satisfied despite the costs, this is not some romantic Netflix Scottish made up story box set or even more made up <deleted> Braveheart, this is about real lives and right now Scotland is a very prosperous country, why risk that on the word of these politicians, the likes of Alex Salmond.

If i was English I would be saying let them go and good riddance but I hope that's not how they feel? without the Union Scotland would be far worse off,

England subsidises Scotland and puts up with a lot of <deleted> from them, this is 2020, oil is finished, the money's spent, yes the Uk benefitted from this so I'm not

ashamed to be subsidised now as we more than paid our share in the past, maybe to go when oil was booming might have made financial sense? to go when it's finished

makes no sense unless you are one of those loony nationalists

p.s, under our SNP government, we are in number one in europe for drug deaths and number 2 for alcohol deaths, we are number 3 for covid deaths behind England and Spain, despite the fact scotland's population density is 1/6th of England's, we are easily in front for covid deaths for countries with populations of 6 million or under, not one of these small countries even comes close to our death toll, yes Scotland is truly a world leading nation but for all the wrong things and this all under our beloved Nicola and her SNP government.

Edited by hugh mckee
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I am English, lived in England for all but 1 year of my 64 years.

Prior to 2016, never heard anyone talking about leaving the EU.

So, using your argument, we shouldn't have had a referendum in 2016!

UKIP won the european election in the UK in 2014,  have you not heard of a guy called Nigel Farage? he's been around in politics for about the last 20 years

talking about leaving the E.U, very strange comment to make.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, hugh mckee said:

Alex Salmond is a sex pest, it's only liable if it's not true, he admitted in court to his sexual conduct, he denied rape or breaking any laws but he admitted

to many other things which me be why he turned up in court every day with his sister and not his wife, the behaviour he admitted to in court was shameful

and for a guy who was the SNP's poster boy for decades.

no one talks about inedpendence in Scotland, except, the press, politicians and those loonies that go about with their faces painted blue and white,

like the idiots standing at the border in full PPE shouting at cars telling the English to go home, embarassed to be Scottish when I saw that

and as far as economics go there will never be an argument of how Scotland will be financially better of in the short to medium term because a solution doesn't exist,

maybe 30 or 40 years from now??? after a lot of pain for it's population in the meantime, oil is finished, no new oil fields can make a profit in the north sea  at under $80.

Scotland will go through years of pain, upheaval and torment and for what so a bunch of politicians can get their egos satisfied despite the costs, this is not some romantic Netflix Scottish made up story box set or even more made up <deleted> Braveheart, this is about real lives and right now Scotland is a very prosperous country, why risk that on the word of these politicians, the likes of Alex Salmond.

If i was English I would be saying let them go and good riddance but I hope that's not how they feel? without the Union Scotland would be far worse off,

England subsidises Scotland and puts up with a lot of <deleted> from them, this is 2020, oil is finished, the money's spent, yes the Uk benefitted from this so I'm not

ashamed to be subsidised now as we more than paid our share in the past, maybe to go when oil was booming might have made financial sense? to go when it's finished

makes no sense unless you are one of those loony nationalists

p.s, under our SNP government, we are in number one in europe for drug deaths and number 2 for alcohol deaths, we are number 3 for covid deaths behind England and Spain, despite the fact scotland's population density is 1/6th of England's, we are easily in front for covid deaths for countries with populations of 6 million or under, not one of these small countries even comes close to our death toll, yes Scotland is truly a world leading nation but for all the wrong things and this all under our beloved Nicola and her SNP government.

What shocking behavior did Alex Salmond admit to in court? Everyone knows his trial was a stitch up. What went wrong is that you couldnt convince the jury Salmond was a sex pest so the entire thing fell on its backside. Unionists across the country were devastated. Still never come to terms with the result have you guys?

What makes me embarrassed to be Scottish is seeing unionists attacking people in George Square. Or giving Nazi salutes. 

England cant subsidise itself never mind anywhere else. Hence why the UK government runs a massive deficit year on year. Scotland has no deficit. We get some of our money back and they call it a generous Barrnett payment and Scotland has to pay for its stuff out of that.

The so called Scottish deficit is run up by Westminster and apportioned to Scotland. Why would an independent Scotland want to be paying for things like foreign wars, HS2, Hinkly point power station, crossrail, new runways at Heathrow and all the other stuff we get a bill for?

It is ludicrous to think any conservative government would be so desperate to keep Scotland if it was costing them money to do so. No the money flows from North to South and Westminster needs Scotland because of that.

What metric are you using to measure covid deaths which puts Scotland number 3 on the list of most deaths? Do tell.    

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

What metric are you using to measure covid deaths which puts Scotland number 3 on the list of most deaths? Do tell.    

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scotland-coronavirus-death-rate-third-worst-world-2880962

from the Scotsman!.........oh I suppose those loonies the paint their faces blue and white will say the Scotsman is run by englshmen oe unionists or fools.

The latest statistics from the National Records of Scotland, which includes deaths where coronavirus is suspected but not confirmed as no test was carried out, place Scotland third worst in the world for the number of Covid-19 deaths for every million people.

With 4,000 deaths from a population of 5.454 million people, the rate of coronavirus deaths in Scotland has reached 733 for every million, behind England on 767 and Belgium on 842. The UK as a whole has the second worst record with 614 deaths for every million people.

Nicola Sturgeon said the 4,000 number was “far higher than any of us would wish” and that the overall downward trend in numbers “did not console all those who have lost loved ones”.

But the First Minister was criticised for other new figures which showed just 18,110 care home staff, around a third of Scotland’s 53,500-strong care home workforce, had been tested for the virus, despite a Scottish Government pledge three weeks ago for universal, routine testing. A total of 15,349 residents, from 35,000, had also been tested.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scotland-coronavirus-death-rate-third-worst-world-2880962

from the Scotsman!.........oh I suppose those loonies the paint their faces blue and white will say the Scotsman is run by englshmen oe unionists or fools.

I'm in Scotland,  not Thailand, I know things have been catastrophic here, and I repeat our popilation density is 1/6th of England's, there is no way we should even be close to England's total, for countries under 6 million we are massively ahead of every small nation, only Ireland with half our death toll comes remotely close.

Edited by hugh mckee
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Point missed; not surprised.

The point is Cameron introduced the Brexit referendum for his political agenda - and lost.

Salmond and Sturgeon introduced the Scottish referendum to further their political agendas and lost. Sturgeon took advantage to grab the SNP leadership and has been agitating for another referendum ever since - as long as she can pick the timing, the wording and maybe lower the voting age!

Both were announced as once in a lifetime.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, 7by7 said:

If you don't 'give a sheet' about what the majority of the population of Scotland thinks, why do you care so much about them wanting independence?

The UK is my country. I am British. I don't want any minority, a tiny minority at that, dictating anything that affects my country.

That isn't democracy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Susco said:

Since the UK actually is a union of the countries England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, same as the EU is a union of countries, I'm not sure where you get your 10% from.

The UK Prime Minister's website has used the phrase "countries within a country" to describe the United Kingdom.

How many percent of the EU represented the 51% brexiteers?

Absolute nonsense. The structure of the UK is not the same as the EU. 

UK Prime Ministers, as with other UK politicians use many phrases which they consider beneficial to use.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

So once we have an election we need never have another?

Things change, that;s why we keep having elections.

Democracy is not decided by one vote.

That's true. And it's also true that referendums are only advisory under the UK's constitution; the government resides in Westminster and the government, and only the government, as the authority to allow an advisory referendum.

Democracy is not decided by a tiny minority trying to dictate their preferred agenda.

8 minutes ago, tebee said:

So once we have an election we need never have another?

Things change, that;s why we keep having elections.

Democracy is not decided by one vote.

This wasnt an election though .

It was a referendum or are you suggesting that Scots should vote every four years on whether they want to remain in the UK  and thus continually leaving and rejoining (dependent on the vote ) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

This wasnt an election though .

It was a referendum or are you suggesting that Scots should vote every four years on whether they want to remain in the UK  and thus continually leaving and rejoining (dependent on the vote ) 

Interesting. IIRC Ms. Sturgeon previously said that should Scotland vote to leave the UK one of her first bits of legislation would be to lay down very strict criteria on any future referendum.

She basically wants the referendum to be on a simple first past the post majority (1 will be enough) until she gets the result she wants. Then be so complicated with so many high qualifying %'s as to make it's reversal almost impossible.

Hail the leader!

• Like 1