Majority of Scots support independence from UK - YouGov poll

snoop1130

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Dear god, get off your knees and show some backbone, man! Your servility and your meekness is what is embarrassing. 

Do you think that started in 2007? Do you not think that it might have origins just a little earlier? I moved to Aberdeen in the late 80s and was shocked that there were still council flats in the middle of the city with communal toilets on the landings. Here was a city that was sending billions of pounds a year to London to embellish the South east, yet the locals were living in slum accommodation. I even remember, close to 2000, the council excitedly declaring that all their properties now had their own toilets. That is why Scotland has such social problems - it has been milked dry for decades by successive London governments, and people like you, Hugh, have made that possible.

how come Aberdeen and the surrounding areas voted by a wide margin to stay in the union in 2014 if things are that bad? only the glasgow and dundee area, the poorest voted yes, the one's most likely to lose out if we were independent

snp loonies blame everything that is wrong with Scotland on England even though we've had a SNP government for many many years, politicians just look after themselves, the snp loonies haven't got a clue, if we get independence every problem we get after that will still be blamed on the English, while those politicans live a good life.

19 out of 20 of the top claimers of expenses for westminster MP's are SNP mp's, number one being that fat tub of lard Ian Blackford who claims almost £300k per year, how the English put up with that? Sinn Fein mp's claim nothing, not even take their salary, maybe because that is they are genuine in wanting an independent Ireland and not in it for themselves and their financial gain unlike those parasite snp mp's milking the system for ever last tax payer's penny.

Edited by hugh mckee
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

Throughout this and other threads, you have made it pretty clear that you consider the Scots a minority- a burden on the UK economy, and that they should shut up. In short, it's obvious you don't like them.

Why you care so much when someone like that want to leave?

You seem to either have comprehension issues, or want to make statements based on your own agenda rather than actual facts. Maybe both.

I consider, quite correctly, the population of Scotland to be a minority in the population of the United Kingdom. Those who have nationalist views are at best around half that population. 

Show me where I have considered them a burden on the UK economy? Or that I don't like Scots. (Unlike you it seems, I don't like or dislike based on race or nationality generalizations). The Scottish part of my family are very likeable.

The only thing obvious is your constant efforts to present your opinions and agendas as "factual" which they aren't.

Which country are you from? Do you also support the Catalans, Walloons, and Corsicans?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

how come Aberdeen and the surrounding areas voted by a wide margin to stay in the union in 2014 if things are that bad? only the glasgow and dundee area, the poorest voted yes, the one's most likely to lose out if we were independent

snp loonies blame everything that is wrong with Scotland on England even though we've had a SNP government for many many years, politicians just look after themselves, the snp loonies haven't got a clue, if we get independence every problem we get after that will still be blamed on the English, while those politicans live a good life.

19 out of 20 of the top claimers of expenses for westminster MP's are SNP mp's, number one being that fat tub of lard Ian Blackford who claims almost £300k per year, how the English put up with that? Sinn Fein mp's claim nothing, not even take their salary, maybe because that is they are genuine in wanting an independent Ireland and not in it for themselves and their financial gain unlike those parasite snp mp's milking the system for ever last tax payer's penny.

Your're posting far too much sense and sensible comments!

Sad to say, but a considerable amount of those supporting an independent Scotland seem to be mostly motivated by a jealous loathing of all things English, fueled by the SNP, and are geographically clustered. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Which country are you from? Do you also support the Catalans, Walloons, and Corsicans?

Unfortunately I'm from the country the Walloons are part of,  but fortunately I don't have to support them any more as I have no assets or pay taxes any more.

Tax payers in Belgium are less fortunate than me, and pray they want to leave, but they won't because they get fat from the Flemish grants for which they have to do nothing, so little chance they will leave.

As for the Catalans, I understand that they never have been Spanish, so sure I support them

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Absolute nonsense. The structure of the UK is not the same as the EU. 

UK Prime Ministers, as with other UK politicians use many phrases which they consider beneficial to use.

Such as 'dead in a ditch' or... 'once in a generation'?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

People living in slums - not all people living in slums. But only one slum building is a disgrace on our country. 

But again, you make these sweeping statements and again I am going to ask you to present evidence - why are the poor most likely to lose out? Please, no Daily Express hysterics or Facebook memes. Give us empirical evidence that Scotland will suffer worse than we are already going to suffer due to the stupidity of racist brexit. 

42 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

And yet the UK parties continue to slump and the SNP continues to get stronger. Oh that we were all as wise as you seem to think you are, Hugh!

43 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

I believe that that other tub of lard, Alastair Carmichael, is the highest claimant. Come on, man, use a bit of common sense for once - both of them have very remote and hard to reach constituencies; of course they are going to be more. Douglas Ross is another of them. Those are the consequences of far flung constituencies.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Scots should vote in independence whensoever they choose.

Rejoining? If there was a sizeable movement in that direction, sure - I see no reason why they should not seek to re-enter some sort of union with rUK in the future, although it is worth bearing in mind that of all the countries which have gained independence from Britain, none have come back asking for domination once again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_that_have_gained_independence_from_the_United_Kingdom

Scotland was never a UK colony though , it was and is a joint partner in the United Kingdom .

16 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

"The Scotch – what a verminous race!"; "It’s time Hadrian’s Wall was refortified, to pen them in a ghetto on the other side"; "The nation deserves not merely isolation, but comprehensive extermination".

Published in The Spectator (editor? Boris Johnson)

Who on Earth would want to stay in a Union with the greased, albino piglet in charge?

As an Englishman I say "go for it Scotland"....be independent.

With climate change, rising temperatures and water shortages........ Scotland is sitting pretty.

That was satirical , wasnt meant to be taken seriously .

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Partnership - not one time offer, never to be repeated. In fact, if it was a genuine partnership there would not even be the need to ask permission for a referendum, you know, just like how the UK decided to hold the Brexit referendum without asking permission from Brussels.

England would also have to ask Westminster for a referendum on any potential England  independence from the UK , as would Wales and N.I.

7 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

much as i think another referendum is a waste of money, causes division and polarises all across the UK and all for these <deleted> politicians egos, I think

that maybe another referendum is for the best just to put an end to this <deleted> once and for all and shut up those SNP loonies.

quite simply for Scotland to be independent and rejoin the EU then we'd have to commit to using the EURO, that simple reason will stop independence in it's tracks,

polls may say right now that 52% want independence, of course that poll means nothing, ask people on the streets of Scotland do you want to change the £ for the euro and you'd get a massively different answer.

yes some blue and white painted face loony will come on now and say I have no basis for that statement and Scots would actually prefer to use the EURO,

which will be total nonsense, the minute people just like in 2014 think that they could be worse off financially they'll vote to maintian the staus quo.

another vote would mean those blue and white face painted loonies would have to shut up and would be then end of Nicola Sturgeon's career so maybe not such a bad thing after all.

I don't think another referendum would be the end of it though, the SNP live and breathe for separation, nothing else matters to them or their followers, they are a one trick pony. The only way to stop the cancer that is nationalism is to get rid of the SNP, it may take a while, but it surely must happen for the sake of the United Kingdom.

19 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

My post was to show the ridiculousness of your comment that no one in Scotland is talking about independence.

Your comment that no one in Scotland is talking about independence is ridiculous because in 2016 the SNP won 61 of the 129 seats in the Scottish parliament. Not an overall majority, true, but the largest number of seats won by any party and nearly double that of the 31 seats won by the second placed Conservative and Unionist party.

Your comment that no one in Scotland is talking about independence is ridiculous because in 2019 the SNP won 43 out of the 58 Scottish seats at Westminster. The second placed Conservative and Unionists won 6.

BTW, in 2014 UKIP won 24 out of the UK's 73 seats with 27% of the popular vote. The largest number of UK seats, yes; but winning? Nowhere near the majority of seats, nowhere near the majority share of the vote.

Independence is not talked about except by press and politicians and people who paint their face

in the last election which was totally dominated by brexit snp got 45% share of the vote and the pro Union parties got 54% of the vote, greens got 1%

there is a big silent majority in Scotland not wanting independence and are tired of these politicians

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

another vote would mean those blue and white face painted loonies would have to shut up and would be then end of Nicola Sturgeon's career so maybe not such a bad thing after all.

I wouldn't bank on that! They will claim that things will have changed - it was raining last time, it is sunny now or something similar!

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

I don't think another referendum would be the end of it though, the SNP live and breathe for separation, nothing else matters to them or their followers, they are a one trick pony. The only way to stop the cancer that is nationalism is to get rid of the SNP, it may take a while, but it surely must happen for the sake of the United Kingdom.

That is very true. They demand independence, but don't even have a policy on what currency an Independent Scotland will have!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

Independence is not talked about except by press and politicians and people who paint their face

in the last election which was totally dominated by brexit snp got 45% share of the vote and the pro Union parties got 54% of the vote, greens got 1%

there is a big silent majority in Scotland not wanting independence and are tired of these politicians

Even though less than 50%. the SNP got the largest share of the vote of any party and by far the most Scottish seats.

In the UK as a whole, the Tories got less than 50% of the seats, less than 45% in fact. But they did get a large majority of seats. This is regularly hailed as an overwhelming victory for the Tories and Brexit by some here.

Your comment above indicates that you disagree.

If independence is as unpopular in Scotland as you say, then no doubt all those pesky SNP MSPs will be voted out of office next May.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

That is very true. They demand independence, but don't even have a policy on what currency an Independent Scotland will have!

They have different proposals depending upon who in the party you ask. However they do not have a policy because there is no independence campaign ongoing. Once it kicks off, a policy will be proposed. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, vogie said:

Either you advocate stripping the majority of Scots of the right to vote or you give them the freedom to vote for whichever party they choose. Which is it to be? 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

ask people on the streets of Scotland do you want to change the £ for the euro and you'd get a massively different answer.

Most of the Scottish independence TVF posters , those who want an independent proud wonderful Scotland.......................actually live in Thailand , so, they would have no idea what Scottish people on the streets of Scotland would want  

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2