Not looking good to extend visa - Richard Barrow

Bangkok Immigration came to inspect my workplace. They were here for 3 hours. Looks like they will not extend my “visa”. They said I most likely will have to leave the country. Nothing to do with anything else. They will give me a final verdict next week. Not looking good

Frowning face

Edited by Jai Dee
Title expanded
  • Sad 8

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect its because he [Richard Barrow] was given very little information from the Immigration guys who spent 3 hours investigating his work place and suggesting ‘he will have to leave’ with out giving a valid reason. 

If he is forced to leave, we all 'know' the reason....  but if he is forced out it will be on a technicality.

You mean that you suspect the reason. How can you know it?

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would have thought that there would be more than one way to skin aggressive threatening cats. 

This man has done a lot of good for the Thai's, but they are too blind to see it, that said, if they do oust him, my monthly budget spend and domestic holidays will be spent externally, meaning I won't be supporting the Thai economy, perhaps everyone should jump pon the same wagon, hit them where it hurts, but it has to be in volumes. 

Externally? How do you want to leave and come back? And regarding the Thai Economy, you’re going to import all your items of daily consumption? Let’s not be silly here.

Thai Immigration is already <deleted> about many things right now and there have been quite a few rows between them. Remember the Immigration head honcho who mouthed off against Richard when he posted some inofficial chart back in March/April? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps he should look at getting an agent or applying for a retirement visa, can't hassle the man then, can they.

Can't work legally on a retirement extension.... That would be tantamount to silencing him as a journalist just the same, at least so long as he was to remain in country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who will follow Richard out of the country? I guess it is time for a leavig thread again now after all of this. 

I will be staying as long it is worth it, but I holding back enough to cut loose and leave in short notice now. 

10 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Externally? How do you want to leave and come back? And regarding the Thai Economy, you’re going to import all your items of daily consumption? Let’s not be silly here.

When Covid is well and truly over, holiday in neighboring countries, the monthly budget spend would go into those ecomony's, as for daily consumption items, well one would be looking at spending less than more, besides most of our food is imported, so cutting back wouldn't be an issue.

2 minutes ago, mr mr said:

looks like there was a sale on hammers today at home pro. 

Yes, the poor guy died trying to get one.

Edited by anchadian

Thais are suspicious of foreigners...especially those who shed light in dark places...

Your tenure in Thailand is only good for one year for most farang...ruffle any feathers and you will be gone.

It is the Thai way or highway!

Learn to smile as you experience the Thai way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

wonder what visa it is, isn't he working in IT at a school but not as a teacher?

I'm curious too - I'm guessing it's a Non-immigrant B visa. When he says 'extending', the actual visa will have expired and he'll be on a 1-year extension of stay linked to his work permit (I guess). So he really means that he thinks immigration won't give him another 1-year extension.

But I don't know why they went to his school in the first place. I think everyone is assuming that Richard is being silenced but the fact that there's a need for immigration to visit suggests that there's a problem with the school. 

It could be that they've been hiring people/teachers without the proper paperwork or something like that, maybe nothing to do with Richard or any of his work. Under normal circumstances, the school (which I think is in Samut Prakarn) would go to the Paknam immigration with the paperwork and apply for a 1-year extension there. It's not common for immigration officials to visit a school and certain not common for them to give any 'verdict' about whether a teacher would/wouldn't be granted an extension. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You play with fire, then you will get burnt at some stage. Meddling in other countries business is never very wise when you live there and you are their guest, as he now knows. He has clearly outlived his welcome. Personally, I think the final nail in his coffin was when the British Ambassador mentioned him in one of this Covid pod casts, as a source of reliable information, a very stupid thing for the Ambassador to have done. I never signed up to that opinion of him as the source of all knowledge, as he has been caught out too many times passing on poor intelligence as fact. If you want to live here, keep your nose out of the Thai's business.    

Dreadfully said. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1