Not looking good to extend visa - Richard Barrow

2 minutes ago, jadee said:

I completely agree - Richard has always been careful to state that his blogging/online stuff is an unpaid hobby, not a job, but I've never understood why exactly he's felt the need to write about the topics he chooses - maybe a personal desire to be recognized or respected?

Right. And the guy selling tom yam on the corner, that is his hobby too. 

He had paypal buttons all over his website for god's sake. It is most obviously a business venture. It does not really matter what he says, if those paypal buttons are there it is a business, obviously.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

The man is a properganda clown for the most part. He really views himself as a celebrity thinking he knows everything about everything.

He craves attention have you seen some of his tweets recently ?

1  “ my taxi ride was something like 100 baht I gave him 1000 baht and told him to keep the change”

Does a good deed even exist if you don’t tell the whole world about it? Keep it to yourself <deleted> stop bragging and fishing for likes.

2 : “I should really lay low while my visa is under consideration” ... next day he is pretty much being condescending towards the government and exposing attractions who have 2price policy.

3: the Chiang mai marathon he’s been talking krap about that aswell “ why can’t they just admit they was wrong etc”

it’s all fuel to the fire, he loves the attention, the dude even made another twitter account to respond back to his tweets like he’s some all star LOL

i wouldn’t be surprised if he still gets to stay, none of us know what went down today, like I say.. he loves attention...

I followed him for years since the red-shirt and yellow-shirt protests many years ago.

Richard has constantly fast and accurate news - additionally to his travel tips.

For me it seems everything he does on Twitter is intended to inform tourists and expats about Thailand.

And sometimes he informs us also about issues which many Thais don't want on the front page. That is obviously a risk. But as far as I see he always presented his information with respect.

I wish him all the best.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jadee said:

I completely agree - Richard has always been careful to state that his blogging/online stuff is an unpaid hobby, not a job, but I've never understood why exactly he's felt the need to write about the topics he chooses - maybe a personal desire to be recognized or respected?

He’s just an old bloke who fishes for attention / likes everyday. 
especislly with all these fancy hotels and restaurants he always shows off after he’s had his rants

you just gotta keep ya mouth shut when your in other countries it goes without saying . They ain’t soft like the UK

• Like 2

I followed RB for a long time.  Not the last 5 months since I was banned on Twitter.   I knew when  RB was highlighting the bad air pollution he was on thin ice.   I think he has many  Thai followers and the Government better really consider if they want to banish him for no real reason.    His love for travel and Thailand are obvious.  I think he has a good balance  of positive and negative.   Maybe he has made a few mistakes but I would need to see the facts.  I hope he IS KICKED OUT for no real reason as he can then take off the gloves and his influence will gain 10x the power.   The educated masses are about to boil over and censorship in 2020 will backfire.  

PS for the curious I was banned for some file comments deserved by Toni Lon

Edited by Elkski

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I followed him for years since the red-shirt and yellow-shirt protests many years ago.

Richard has constantly fast and accurate news - additionally to his travel tips.

For me it seems everything he does on Twitter is intended to inform tourists and expats about Thailand.

And sometimes he informs us also about issues which many Thais don't want on the front page. That is obviously a risk. But as far as I see he always presented his information with respect.

I wish him all the best.

like the time he said that parts of BKK were sealed off and closed and other parts maxed out.  I was there at the exact day and time that he was reporting on and everything he said about it was utter BS.  That is about the third time that I know of in the last 6 months that he has spouted BS.  No loss to the expat community if he leaves.  To try to compare him to that excellent  and highly professional reporter, Johnathan Head, is a travesty. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Would be a shame, as his blog is useful.

However, Barrow knows how to create some suspense and get attention/hits/followers, so my bet is that it will all be OK, as last year.

This is probably nearer the truth, maybe an assassination attempt outside a massage shop in Sathorn next year, that would be a 'Big Joke!'

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I don't know Richard, but IMHO I've always found him to be quite arrogant and conceited. He might appear to be humble with some of his tweets, but then you see how he interacts with people online and you see the other side of him. He definitely enjoys the attention but now it could be coming back to bite him. 

You don't get much attention unless you crave attention more than anything. And, he has gotten a lot of attention. 

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

To try to compare him to that excellent  and highly professional reporter, Johnathan Head, is a travesty. 

You are joking, right?

Johnathan Head behaved like Thaksin paid him and like he published Thaksin's PR messages.

Richard Barrow had and has lots of useful information and I don't remember him ever supporting any political party or movement. Obviously I don't know if all his information are correct. But I know many times he was correct - and faster than anybody else.

The guy seems to be deliberately baiting Thailand and the authorities to kick him out just so that he can post about it online.

Us guys living here legally know how hard it is to stay here long-term, even whilst showing respect in general to the country and its people, keeping your head down and just doing what you're told. The immigration visits, the paperwork, and grief at the bank is enough already without constantly posting online to try and make them lose face. 

He knows how Thailand works, yet he makes inflammatory comments about the country and the authorities. I would imagine that they hate him and want to boot him out ASAP.

Whatever his agenda is, I hope he has somewhere else that he can go when they've finally had enough of him and kick him out. He's causing a massive loss of face and I wish he would stop. This is not the west where you can expect to be praised for highlighting the country's faults. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

You're supposed to keep your mouth shut in Thailand and not complain. His dual pricing Facebook group has probably ruffled too many feathers and it's correct, shouldn't have dual pricing. I stopped going to anywhere that had dual pricing after visiting Ayutthaya in 2014, my ex-wife laughed when I had to pay 50 baht to see one of the temples. I had the last laugh when we divorced, I didn't have any money 555

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You are joking, right?

Johnathan Head behaved like Thaksin paid him and like he published Thaksin's PR messages.

Richard Barrow had and has lots of useful information and I don't remember him ever supporting any political party or movement. Obviously I don't know if all his information are correct. But I know many times he was correct - and faster than anybody else.

read SteveK above, dead on.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elkski said:

No you don't gotta keep your mouth shut.  When you see weong you should call it out.  Its this attitude from guys like you that has resulted  in many bad things staying the same or getting worse. Ex.  Taxi drivers not using the meter.  You old expats lets this happen and continue. 

No!

Most expats who live here won't pay inflated prices. This is why all those taxi-no-meter are usually waiting for tourist in front of hotels or tourist spots. Tourists pay too much and often they do that because they don't know any better. Expats know the problem and just walk 100m to avoid the scammers. There is no point arguing with them.

3 minutes ago, Elkski said:

RB shows a deep love and respect for thailand and did much to promote  tourism and travel.  His balance may have begun to shift  because like me he sees air pollution as a killer, death, non starter to live somewhere.   I dont see him as an attention  seeker. 

I totally agree with that part of your post.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

the last few weeks he has been publicizing 2pricethailand facebook group, highlighting the tourist attractions that are stiffing farang, maybe this got him in trouble. Totally unfair of course

Fair or not, the argument is that Thais pay taxes to the government and foreigners do not. Whether this is right or not is moot, by doing what he did has made the whole country lose face massively by basically calling this system a scam against tourists, and has been viewed worldwide. I'm sure the Thai authorities love him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Elkski said:

No you don't gotta keep your mouth shut.  When you see wrong you should call it out.  It's this attitude from guys like you that has resulted  in many bad things staying the same or getting worse. Ex.  Taxi drivers not using the meter.  You old expats lets this happen  for decades and  it now continues.   If you would have been firm and fought this  it would be fixed by now.   RB shows a deep love and respect for thailand and did much to promote  tourism and travel.  His balance may have begun to shift  because like me he sees air pollution as a killer, death, non starter to live somewhere.   I dont see him as an attention  seeker.   Dual  pricing and discrimination should be called out.  I say the US should charge  Thai people  10 x for things here.   And Chinese 100x

Haha, that lot made me laugh.  He is an idiot for thinking, if he does, that anything expats say will change anything here, and why should it? Its stating the very obvious, but some expats just don' t seem to get it, it isn't our country, now do you get it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

Fair or not, the argument is that Thais pay taxes to the government and foreigners do not. Whether this is right or not is moot, by doing what he did has made the whole country lose face massively by basically calling this system a scam against tourists, and has been viewed worldwide. I'm sure the Thai authorities love him.

yes publicizing the truth, a definite crime

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Some of them pay taxes, plenty of casual jobs that don't pay tax. In the UK all attractions are the same price and where I'm going next week in Europe are same prices for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Haha, that lot made me laugh.  He is an idiot for thinking, if he does, that anything expats say will change anything here, and why should it? Its stating the very obvious, but some expats just don' t seem to get it, it isn't our country, now do you get it

Correct it ain't our country, I love being there as it's better than the UK, citizenship is quite hard to get.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

yes publicizing the truth, a definite crime

I think you'll find dual pricing in many countries. In almost every attraction in the UK, you pay less if you're a "senior". How is that fair? It's just the way it is. This guy's problem is trying to expose this as some kind of crime when it is not.  

He is deliberately trying to whip up a storm to bolster his online presence.

Edited by SteveK

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

I think you'll find dual pricing in many countries. In almost every attraction in the UK, you pay less if you're a "senior". How is that fair? It's just the way it is. This guy's problem is trying to expose this as some kind of crime when it is not.  

Yes there is child, adult and senior price, but not foreigner price. I don't agree with senior price and kids.

I saw a video the other day and a vlogger was at Wat Keaw, free for Thai and 500 baht for a foreigner, he didn't bother going in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

He is deliberately trying to whip up a storm to bolster his online presence.

dual pricing is wrong, charging someone more for being foreign is just wrong. i find it hard to understand how people think it's ok

• Like 1
  • Sad 1