Opening a UK bank account when not in the UK?

As the title says, i havent lived in the UK for quite a few years now.

My old accounts there where closed.

Im now in need of opening one.

Are there any that dont require a UK address? I dont mind if they are online only, or even if they dont give you a card.

I just need one so a former company i worked for will pay me. They will not transfer the money abroad.

Thanks

Why not try the offshore banks namely Lloyds International and others.

I find it unusual that a UK company would not ask a bank to remit the money overseas and deduct the SWIFT charge.

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

You can open a Transferwise Borderless account and be given a UK Sort Code and Account number. Very easy to manage online and I think all they need is photo ID such as passport (I do think they need a UK address so use an address of family or friend but I don't recall them need verification). No cost to open or maintain. One thing to note is that the UK account cannot accept payments from overseas although it does give you US Dollar and Euro accounts too if you wish.Very easy then to send money to Thailand (or many other places too). 

Edited by soi3eddie

Have a look at Transferwise for their borderless account.You  get a UK account with sort code /account number which can be used to receive funds as per any other UK bank account.

I opened one a couple of years back using my Thai address with ID verification using my UK passport.

Worth a try.

ps. I see Eddie's comments. A UK address is not required -or at least that was the position 2 years back.

• Thanks 1

I've a Monzo account, but you need passport plus a utility bill in your name as proof of address. I don't think you've much chance without some evidence of a UK address tied to your name.

Edited by Stocky

Looks like your in a jam Jim ,if  Upnotover is correct,you may have to return

to UK to try and open an account.

I suppose these laws are to prevent money laundering,when in reality the people

doing that will have other ways of moving their millions and Billions about,but it

effects us trying to move a few 100, 1000's.

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 2

This blog provides quite a detailed review of the Transferwise Borderless account. It does touch on the opening deposit issue noted by other posters but only  gives a Germany / Euro example.

https://jeangalea.com/transferwise-borderless-review/

Probably would need to actually go through a live application based, say, on UK National + passport verification / Thai address + address verification / (Thai?) bank account in own name (not specified in review, but as noted elsewhere) and transfer to TW.

Certainly more stringent than I experienced just 2 years back, but that seems to be the way of the world now.....

50 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

First Direct online best UK bank ever.

But not possible to open as a non-resident.

The short answer to the OP is "no".

Depending on what he actually needs the account for, TransferWise may offer the only solution...... As stated above the opening transfer in looks problematical.

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

But not possible to open as a non-resident.

The short answer to the OP is "no".

Depending on what he actually needs the account for, TransferWise may offer the only solution...... As stated above the opening transfer in looks problematical.

You maybe right I have an account with them with an address in Thailand.

I was with them before I left UK for good and they don't mind me being a non-resident of the UK.  

It's certainly possible to open an offshore account in the IoM or Jersey, though they often require a pretty large amount held in the account.

I opened an account with Santander International, opened it from here in Thailand, I get online banking and visa debit card, we received new cards only last week via DHL. 

My CSP and State Pensions are paid directly into the account and then I use TW to send over what I need.

• 1 month later...

You could use a post box service not a po box. You can have an actual address and use it to open bank accounts etc. Mail forwarding, registered business address. Not so easy to just open without a uk address though. Bill with your name on it. Starts at about 12gbp and goes up.

52 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

You could use a post box service not a po box. You can have an actual address and use it to open bank accounts etc. Mail forwarding, registered business address. Not so easy to just open without a uk address though. Bill with your name on it. Starts at about 12gbp and goes up.

What happens when the bank carries out a credit check on the applicant and they're not registered at that postal address on the Electoral Register?

43 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

What happens when the bank carries out a credit check on the applicant and they're not registered at that postal address on the Electoral Register?

I don't believe banks can check the electoral register, if you selected 'private' when you registered.

It certainly didn't stop me opening bank accounts in the past 20 years (10 living there, 10 living here).

And I never allowed the electoral register to allow private companies access to my information even when I lived there.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't believe banks can check the electoral register, if you selected 'private' when you registered.

It certainly didn't stop me opening bank accounts in the past 20 years (10 living there, 10 living here).

And I never allowed the electoral register to allow private companies access to my information even when I lived there.

When you opt out of the open register, your details will still appear on the full version of the electoral register.

The full version and what it can be used for

Everyone’s name and address goes on the full version of the electoral register, and you cannot opt out. This is the version of the register that’s used for elections and referendums.

The full version of the register can only be used for:

* electoral administration purposes (such as sending out poll cards before elections)

* campaigning activities (for example, candidates and political parties sending election communications to voters, surveying opinions or fundraising)

* preventing and detecting crime

*checking applications for loans or credit

* jury summoning in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/opt-out-of-the-open-register

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Well, I had a credit check done earlier this year, just gave the UK address I last lived at in 2009.

Everything was fine, opened a bank account in March.

Used the same address to claim my company pension (they also insisted on a credit check).

Maybe they don't update the electoral register for people that don't register a new UK address.

Edited by BritManToo