How to return to Thailand In September

Hi

I am in the UK, I often spend a large part of the year in Thailand using Tourist Visas.

As It seems that Tourist Visas are not going to be issued anytime soon until next year, I am looking at what options I have for returning in September. Money is not an issue. 

As far as I can see, my only option is the Elite card, which will take around 2 months and I can collect at the airport on arrival in Thailand. 

However, I am confused somewhat about how I get there. I have read about "repatriation flights" and how there is a limited number of them, yet when I search for flights to book I see a lot of them heading from the UK to Thailand, are these not real?

Would I then receive confirmation from the Elite Card agent, book a flight, and then visit the London Thai Embassy to get a COE?

My main question is whether it is possible to enter at all, I wouldn't want to spend the money and then find out I either did not need it, or that it does not allow me entry

Many thanks

29 minutes ago, rimpsstar said:

when I search for flights to book I see a lot of them heading from the UK to Thailand, are these not real?

Airlines have just been keeping their pre-covid flight schedule and then cancelling flights a couple weeks before departure.  They have been doing this since April and will probably keep doing it for many more months.

The only way here for the foreseeable future is on repatriation flights.

Edited by Phillip9
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Better off waiting until the borders open, the same as everyone else, no easy routes back in just for holiday.

It doesn't seem like that would happen anytime soon, and even if they were to open, without a tourist visa I would not be able to enter. 

Thank you everyone for the advice so far. I will first apply for the elite visa and then once they approve I will request the list of flights from the Embassy.

2 minutes ago, rimpsstar said:

It doesn't seem like that would happen anytime soon, and even if they were to open, without a tourist visa I would not be able to enter. 

Thank you everyone for the advice so far. I will first apply for the elite visa and then once they approve I will request the list of flights from the Embassy.

Was in the Bangkok Post and the Thaiger today, no international flights for tourists until the situation impoves. Q1 or Q2 next year maybe, I'm not hopeful of anything this year. I'm heading into EU land next week, Italy and Greece, it's not Thailand, but better than nothing 555.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Was in the Bangkok Post and the Thaiger today, no international flights for tourists until the situation impoves. Q1 or Q2 next year maybe, I'm not hopeful of anything this year. I'm heading into EU land next week, Italy and Greece, it's not Thailand, but better than nothing 555.

Yes but as I understand it, if you have an Elite card you are allowed entry I believe

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, rimpsstar said:

Yes but as I understand it, if you have an Elite card you are allowed entry I believe

But don't forget the 14 days quarantine on arrival. 

Or are new elite card holders exempt from 14 days quarantine.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Indeed it isn't, but you'll have to just put up with the better food and drink, better weather, beaches, roads......what else is there......ah, yes, now I remember.

I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my mind, single female travellers love those places, just don't mention Thai ladies when talking about Thailand 555.

17 minutes ago, rimpsstar said:

That's if they are still issuing them, you better check. I don't think anything will be easy for general tourism.

14 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my mind, single female travellers love those places, just don't mention Thai ladies when talking about Thailand 555.

That's if they are still issuing them, you better check. I don't think anything will be easy for general tourism.

Yes it seems they are.

Based on my research in the last few hours it seems my options are:

Apply for Elite card

Book a business class seat on a repatriation flight as apparently the majority of economy tickets are prioritised to Thai nationals

Receive visa when I arrive, then undergo 14 day Quarantine at an approved Hotel from the list

10 minutes ago, rimpsstar said:

Yes it seems they are.

Apply for Elite card

Book a business class seat on a repatriation flight as apparently the majority of economy tickets are prioritised to Thai nationals

Receive visa when I arrive, then undergo 14 day Quarantine at an approved Hotel from the list

Too much hassle for me, although I did leave a pair of Vans, some Uniqlo shorts and new pc speakers in my friends apartment, he has moved rooms now. I won't be seeing those for a while.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, rimpsstar said:

Yes it seems they are.

Apply for Elite card

And unless it's just changed, proof that the the quarantine hotel has been booked and paid has to be provided to the Thai gov't before the embassy will issue the COE to you. 

37 minutes ago, rimpsstar said:

Yes it seems they are.

Apply for Elite card

You will also need to obtain a COE from a Thai embassy.  I would start by explaining your plan to the embassy.   There is some possibility that they may not issue you a COE before you have your elite visa.  And you can’t actually get your elite visa until you arrive in bkk.....

6 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

You will also need to obtain a COE from a Thai embassy.  I would start by explaining your plan to the embassy.   There is some possibility that they may not issue you a COE before you have your elite visa.  And you can’t actually get your elite visa until you arrive in bkk.....

That's a big catch 22. Also the application first has to be approved and then paid for within 3 months of receiving the approval letter. Without guarantees of any actual solution. I said the same in the other TE thread but there is no way I'd chance dropping 16 grand on a TE membership for now while being abroad (outside of TH) until it's crystal clear you have an actual advantage from it.

There is a good chance you pay, get everything lined up and then it a typical case of Thai Peek-a-boo!

This is the answer of Embassy 

We have been informed by the capital that only a specific group of elite visa holder can enter Thailand. Only those with business purpose will be allowed at the moment and they need to contact the Ministry of Thailand seeking approval.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Too much hassle for me, although I did leave a pair of Vans, some Uniqlo shorts and new pc speakers in my friends apartment, he has moved rooms now. I won't be seeing those for a while.

Too much bumf and aggro for me too, the missus is comming to

the Uk next year crossing the Chanel in a rubber dinghy if necessary,

much easier and the UK has everything Thailand has and better.

5 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Too much bumf and aggro for me too, the missus is comming to

the Uk next year crossing the Chanel in a rubber dinghy if necessary,

much easier and the UK has everything Thailand has and better.

Lol. I still rather be in Thailand, the UK has rubbish weather 9 months of the year and I love looking out over BKK at night from a balcony.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rimpsstar said:

Has it been announced that Elite Visa holders will be added to the list of those able to obtain a COE yet, or is this simply speculation with optimism?  

11 hours ago, kiever said:

This is the answer of Embassy 

Makes no sense whatsoever. Thailand Elite is not a business visa and as such not targeted to people “with business purpose”.

This email/answer is horsedung at best and a blatant lie at worst.

Also there hasn’t been published anything definitive about TE eligibility.

That’s exactly what I referred to above as “Thai syle peek-a-boo”.

Edited by FlyingThai
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Makes no sense whatsoever. Thailand Elite is not a business visa and as such not targeted to people “with business purpose”.

This email/answer is horsedung at best and a blatant lie at worst.

Also there hasn’t been published anything definitive about TE eligibility.

I would not rule out the possibility that the British Embassy has no idea what Thailand Elite membership is. They might well be confusing it with an investment visa. Assuming they do know what Thailand Elite is, there are some TE visa holders who are company directors. They can enter and conduct certain kinds of business without Non B visas or work permits.

So, get the Thai Elite visa which may or may not allow you to get on the COE list, for a repatriation flight which may be fully booked within hours of it being announced, so could take months to get one, fly business class and spend 14 days in quarantine so you can have a holiday (maybe). Either desperation or insanity.....

• Like 2

I think that the Elite club management is under pressure from the members now. So they got the allowance for entry for their members "in principle".

In reality: No entry.

Seems that a purchase of membership is risky, unless you wanted to buy it anyway.

• Like 1

If you're not of high economic value to Thailand you won't get on a flight, Elite Card or not. 

Thais first, BOI registered company work permits, investors, work permit holders and so on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

So, get the Thai Elite visa which may or may not allow you to get on the COE list, for a repatriation flight which may be fully booked within hours of it being announced, so could take months to get one, fly business class and spend 14 days in quarantine so you can have a holiday (maybe). Either desperation or insanity.....

Desperation or insanity...or love (which may be the same thing).  You may want to take a look at the forum I started on the same topic "NYC - BKK in Oct: what did I get wrong?"  I got some very useful advice.  But I think the description above is essentially right.  One minor point:  I think there has been a statement from somewhere in Thailand that Elite Visa holders (which I have also applied for) will likely be admitted before others in the 6th stage of opening (whatever that means).  Good luck!