What's your thought on permenant residency??

Hello dear mongers, I've Google a bit about the subject. 

Some interests to me were, 

Don't need to renew visa and 90 day reports. 

Will have nothing to do with retirement visa criterias.

*if the marriage gets south

Criteria to apply for pr is one needs to be on non imm visa for +3 years, have income requirement or Married to a Thai spouse if I'm correct. 

But I read somewhere that after applying for it, it takes like 6 yrs to get approval?? 

Does anyone have experience with this pr thing and pls do share? 

• Haha 1

just wondering if ur like 80 yrs old, u still gotta drag your gimpy ass with a stick or a wheel chair to extend and reportt!? oh dear god jesus, its even hard to climb those steps with my gimpy legs and what a nuissance to those around me. at this age, i cant even hear, comprehend what the officer is saying behind those desks.

whatelse, its even hard for me to get my big ass outter my bed with my shredded bones and muscles. gabogabogabogabogabogabo

• Like 1

I did my interview in March and now its just a case of waiting. I followed up with the lawyer the other day and she said my file had been passed through the Committee and is working its way up. Hopefully should get it within next year.

For me if you qualify its a no brainer. I think generally for non working routes its probably harder than it sounds.

• Like 2

I think I not heard any report of anybody have done it with married extension. Even according to Immigration it should be possible now!

I would like to know how easy/hard it is, when you not have an income and are only married. I heared one time if you have children that this give extra points. without children in a marriage you lose some points. But the question is, how hard it is really.

Till now there are missing example of persons who done it.

20 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Criteria to apply for pr is one needs to be on non imm visa for +3 years, have income requirement or Married to a Thai spouse if I'm correct. 

But I read somewhere that after applying for it, it takes like 6 yrs to get approval?? 

If married you apply for citizenship.

No need for PR.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No need for PR.

You sure that you can apply for citizenship without a workpermit on marriage extension?

According to Immigration at least with a marriage extension you can apply for Permanent Residence. And maybe the OP not want thai citizenship, as some countries not allow them without giving up your original citizenship... 

Edited by HampiK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

No need for PR.

Ive heard that too, is it actually feasible ?

would go for citizenship but not PR.. Assuming I would have to change my current extension to be based on marriage rather than work.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You gotta be working for either.

According to some website there is a new "Humanity" Category, which allow without a work, as this website only state income for Business Category or Employment Category. But as I wrote I am not sure if you would receive an OK at the end... as Apply not mean you become it! 

Humanity Category: Have been married to a Thai national, or be the parent or child of a Thai citizen.

Well, I surely considered it, actually planned to apply this year. Criteria and language test wouldn't have been a problem, and a bit of a wait isn't a problem either ; have been here 19 years so a bit more time is ok. 

Main reasons would be that the total costs would be much lower then the 400 K I have to keep on the bank right now. ( I'm on an extension, based on marriage ). Would have some extra money left to spend. 

The problem is, since this corona crisis I lost my job ( just like almost everyone here in Phang Nga ) and lost work permit, our restaurant is making zip all, so I don't reach some criteria anymore. 

If eventually we'll get back to making money, I'd surely consider it again ! 

13 minutes ago, hanssna said:

Well, I surely considered it, actually planned to apply this year. Criteria and language test wouldn't have been a problem, and a bit of a wait isn't a problem either ; have been here 19 years so a bit more time is ok. 

Main reasons would be that the total costs would be much lower then the 400 K I have to keep on the bank right now. ( I'm on an extension, based on marriage ). Would have some extra money left to spend. 

The problem is, since this corona crisis I lost my job ( just like almost everyone here in Phang Nga ) and lost work permit, our restaurant is making zip all, so I don't reach some criteria anymore. 

If eventually we'll get back to making money, I'd surely consider it again ! 

Just a thought, it might be worthwhile to find he right agency and ask if there is any flexibility right now because of the problems/issues brought on by the virus. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's always interesting what some people want and what they think Thailand should do for them.

Look at it from the Thai point of view. What is the advantage for Thailand to give some people residency?

If there is an advantage for Thailand then they consider it. And if there is no advantage from the Thai point of view then they don't consider it. It's not really that difficult.

The point is there are some very old and infirm expats who have been an advantage to Thailand, raised families and contributed to the Thai economy for many years, I am very surprised at you One More Farang as you are usually one of Thaivisas more sensible posters.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Ive heard that too, is it actually feasible ?

would go for citizenship but not PR.. Assuming I would have to change my current extension to be based on marriage rather than work.

Read earlier you have to be on the same visa type so many years...

Got mine in 1988 against an official fee of (then) THB 25'000 - the absolutely very best thing, besides my marriage, I ever did in Thailand.

Get it from the horse's mouth and enquire with the corresponding desk at Chaengwattana; that is the (only) place of reference. You can do it yourself, no need for agents, lawyers etc. 

Compile the documents required, file the whole thing (which then was only possible during the last two weeks in December) and wait. You'll get invited to do a simple interview and, provided your paperwork is correct (and otherwise they will not accept your application in the first place) wait again until your application is approved. The official fee today is something like THB 193'000 (single) or half for a married applicant. The quota is 100 people per nationality per year; if you're from Luxembourg or the US then that is not an issue; it might get tighter if you hold a Southasian, Chinese or Northasian passport. 

Good luck and you will never regret having done it! 

On 8/13/2020 at 11:23 PM, zeekgarcia said:

I wish countries would have the same conditions on getting permanent residency and citizenship like if country A says country B citizens have to do this and this for become a resident or citizen of country A, then country B would use the same requirements for citizens of country A to become a resident or citizen of country B.

I think doing this could improve the relations of two countries which would benefit both of them. 

And two countries could do this with other matters also.

An application for a PR-visa in Thailand is not an application for citizenship. In other countries it's a permanent permission to stay and is normally quite simple to get. 

4 hours ago, zeekgarcia said:

There have been several people on here and I have meet other expats that have said if applying for PR or citizenship here was as easy as it was for Thais to do in their home countries that they would do it and many have said:

1. If they could easily get citizenship as easy as Thais do in their home country, they would use their business or industrial knowledge to open a business that they could own 100% and would employ Thai people. 

2. Others said if they could just get PR, they would put more money into Thailand because they would have more security of being able to stay here long term and would not have to worry about the ever changing rules for yearly extensions and 90 day reports etc.

And that is what Thailand supports. People can apply for permanent residency (I think) after 3 years working in the same company and some other requirements. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

The point is there are some very old and infirm expats who have been an advantage to Thailand, raised families and contributed to the Thai economy for many years, I am very surprised at you One More Farang as you are usually one of Thaivisas more sensible posters.

Thank you for the last sentence. I try to be sensible.

And I understand that people who live here for a long time want to continue to live here.

But I also try to be realistic and look at the "value" of those mostly old farangs for Thailand. What is the advantage for Thailand to let them live here? As far as I know they can all live here if they have enough money to support themselves and if they have health insurance to make sure they are no burden to Thailand and Thai tax payers. That means many old people can continue to stay here.

Thailand is not keen on people who are not able to support themselves and/or will possibly cost Thailand a lot of money in hospital bills. Should we blame Thais and the Thai government for that logic? Lets look at Thai and many other people who like to visit Europe. As far as I know they are only allowed to enter if they have health insurance and fulfil other requirements. So what Thailand does is similar to many other countries. 

People who stay here since a long time with work and/or family can apply for permanent residency and I know a couple of people who have it. As far as I know they can stay basically forever if they don't become criminals. It's up to each individual to think about their future and plan a little. Waiting until high age and then hoping the host country does what they hope does not sound like a reliable plan.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thank you for the last sentence. I try to be sensible.

And I understand that people who live here for a long time want to continue to live here.

But I also try to be realistic and look at the "value" of those mostly old farangs for Thailand. What is the advantage for Thailand to let them live here? As far as I know they can all live here if they have enough money to support themselves and if they have health insurance to make sure they are no burden to Thailand and Thai tax payers. That means many old people can continue to stay here.

Thailand is not keen on people who are not able to support themselves and/or will possibly cost Thailand a lot of money in hospital bills. Should we blame Thais and the Thai government for that logic? Lets look at Thai and many other people who like to visit Europe. As far as I know they are only allowed to enter if they have health insurance and fulfil other requirements. So what Thailand does is similar to many other countries. 

People who stay here since a long time with work and/or family can apply for permanent residency and I know a couple of people who have it. As far as I know they can stay basically forever if they don't become criminals. It's up to each individual to think about their future and plan a little. Waiting until high age and then hoping the host country does what they hope does not sound like a reliable plan.

For most of your post I can see where you are coming from, but I refuse to believe that the Thai government cannot fix health insurance through some government hospital scheme, and what about insurance companies cancelling or raising the cost of policies after someone reaches a certain age.

You read about this all the time on this forum.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HampiK said:

According to some website there is a new "Humanity" Category, which allow without a work, as this website only state income for Business Category or Employment Category. But as I wrote I am not sure if you would receive an OK at the end... as Apply not mean you become it! 

The only exceptions to the working/paying tax requirement that I have ever heard of are spouse and dependents of existing PR's and Buddhist monks.

I applied in 2007 and was granted PR in 2012. It is very handy now that I am retired. No 90-day reporting. Need an endorsement in my PR book and a re-entry permit in my passport once a year if leaving the country. If not leaving the country (like now, because of Covid), can live here ad-infinitum without needing to do anything. I should have applied in the 1990's!

There are a few hoops to jump through, but once you have the required documents, you just apply and wait. I can apply for citizenship but won't bother. I have a couple of friends who have citizenship and know three more who have applied.