Delays with renewal of British passports

I was planning on applying for a 1 year extension based on marriage in mid September and as my passport expires in mid February 2021, I decided to renew it a couple of weeks back. I was told it would take 4 weeks, which gave me a few weeks to spare. Yesterday I received an email from Her Majesty's Passport Office advising me that I should receive my passport back in 8 weeks!

Unfortunately, I am currently on amnesty because I used up my in-country extension and my multi-entry visa expires 2 Sept. Am I correct in thinking that immigration will not accept an application using my current passport, as it has less than 6 months validity?

Edited by DumbFalang

There is no 6 month rule for extension applications. That is only for applying for a visa at a embassy or consulate.

They will accept you application but it will only be issued to day your passport expires and you will have to apply for a new one then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pontious said:

Do not know why so long - I have just renewed mine and there and back in 15 days.

Thanks for letting me know this. Can I ask the exact date you applied (CNX or BKK)? I applied in CNX on the 29th of July.

Did you receive an email from the passport warning about delays?

1 hour ago, DumbFalang said:

Thanks for letting me know this. Can I ask the exact date you applied (CNX or BKK)? I applied in CNX on the 29th of July.

You applied in Chiang Mai? This is something new. Where exactly did you go to lodge your application?

1426974294_Screenshot_2020-08-14pontioussContent-ThailandVisaForumbyThaiVisaTheNation(1).png.8a1187818b7969ba13b62e0983dd2520.png

Did VFS CM give you a Dhl tracking number.? - they do in  BKK.

Has the money been taken from your card.?

Dhl will SMS when they pick it up from HMPO. Assuming you left a phone number on the application.

It only takes 2 working days.

2 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

No. My wife applied 2 weeks after me and hers took 16 days. Keep a lookout on your card provider for payment. That is the 1st thing they do.!