BANGKOK
geovalin

Coronavirus pushing Cambodia back into poverty

Cambodia has taken a heavy hit from the economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. With firms staring at canceled orders and people losing jobs, fears grow that it could undo the nation's progress fighting poverty.

Garment worker Ny Thea never expected she would be in such big trouble. Just recently she still earned about $300 (€253) per month in a clothing factory, and on top of that, she took in extra cash renting out a luxury car. 

But the coronavirus pandemic has changed everything. The factory fired Thea and 619 of her colleagues, and no one is interested in renting her vehicle anymore. "I can't find a new job. I have no idea how I am going to pay off my debts," she said.

Although the number of coronavirus infections in Cambodia continues to be relatively low, the Southeast Asian country is taking a heavy hit from the economic crisis caused by COVID-19.

read more https://www.dw.com/en/cambodia-coronavirus-poverty/a-54552715

Never been out of poverty-the government has stolen everything from the people 

• Like 2

That Sihanoukville video shows in detail what many Chinese cities look like.  Constant construction, dusty, broken roads, buildings with no place or character, etc.  Shocking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deli said:

The CCP owns Cambodia, they caused the damage and must pay for it.

If China owns Cambodia, it would be a province of China and not a separate country right now. Your hatred for China shows you're a racist or propagandist.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, warcy said:

If China owns Cambodia, it would be a province of China and not a separate country right now. Your hatred for China shows you're a racist or propagandist.

Well fair to say China owns the whole world now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warcy said:

propagandist.

Wouldn't that be a protagonist, but what do I know.  All I know is that if a border agreement could be made between the two countries for those to go out visit and return to Thailand or for that matter stay in Cambodia, well then it might keep some money flowing both ways as expats would be able to get there visas's re-stamped for those with ME Visas and then the Thai consulate would make money for those getting new Visa's as well as Cambodia getting money.  I agree with @BritManTooand @Samui Bodoh

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

owns

I think you meant Owes

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

No need for virus, Hun Sen and family does this on their own.

Are you possibly confusing viruses and leeches?  🤔

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wouldn't that be a protagonist, but what do I know.  All I know is that if a border agreement could be made between the two countries for those to go out visit and return to Thailand or for that matter stay in Cambodia, well then it might keep some money flowing both ways as expats would be able to get there visas's re-stamped for those with ME Visas and then the Thai consulate would make money for those getting new Visa's as well as Cambodia getting money.  I agree with @BritManTooand @Samui Bodoh

But the reality of it is...officials from both countries look across the border and think to themselves,
"Dirty Covid-carrying foreigners!" 

• Like 1