Coronavirus pushing Cambodia back into poverty

geovalin

Cambodia has taken a heavy hit from the economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. With firms staring at canceled orders and people losing jobs, fears grow that it could undo the nation's progress fighting poverty.

Garment worker Ny Thea never expected she would be in such big trouble. Just recently she still earned about $300 (€253) per month in a clothing factory, and on top of that, she took in extra cash renting out a luxury car. 

But the coronavirus pandemic has changed everything. The factory fired Thea and 619 of her colleagues, and no one is interested in renting her vehicle anymore. "I can't find a new job. I have no idea how I am going to pay off my debts," she said.

Although the number of coronavirus infections in Cambodia continues to be relatively low, the Southeast Asian country is taking a heavy hit from the economic crisis caused by COVID-19.

read more https://www.dw.com/en/cambodia-coronavirus-poverty/a-54552715

2 hours ago, Deli said:

The CCP owns Cambodia, they caused the damage and must pay for it.

If China owns Cambodia, it would be a province of China and not a separate country right now. Your hatred for China shows you're a racist or propagandist.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, warcy said:

propagandist.

Wouldn't that be a protagonist, but what do I know.  All I know is that if a border agreement could be made between the two countries for those to go out visit and return to Thailand or for that matter stay in Cambodia, well then it might keep some money flowing both ways as expats would be able to get there visas's re-stamped for those with ME Visas and then the Thai consulate would make money for those getting new Visa's as well as Cambodia getting money.  I agree with @BritManTooand @Samui Bodoh

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wouldn't that be a protagonist, but what do I know.  All I know is that if a border agreement could be made between the two countries for those to go out visit and return to Thailand or for that matter stay in Cambodia, well then it might keep some money flowing both ways as expats would be able to get there visas's re-stamped for those with ME Visas and then the Thai consulate would make money for those getting new Visa's as well as Cambodia getting money.  I agree with @BritManTooand @Samui Bodoh

But the reality of it is...officials from both countries look across the border and think to themselves,
"Dirty Covid-carrying foreigners!" 

• Like 1

Very sad for the many Khmer people who don't have any family connections, and have to rely on a days work just to be able to eat. I've spent close to 2 years of my life in Cambodia, and love the country. Unfortunately this post hits it "dead on", and things are going to be bleak again in Cambodia. Hopefully the time period of the 90's won't come all the way back.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I see a great opportunity for Cambodia to mitigate the damage; I wonder if it has the courage to grab the opportunity?

Yes indeed and I totally agree but unfortunately it is Thailand that is keeping the land borders closed (other than for import/export business). I now live in Siem Reap and I know, from Facebook posts by Cambodian Immigration on my page, there is a desire by Cambodia to open its land borders with Thailand (with health precautions) BUT Thailand keeps its borders CLOSED. So, Cambodia has to do the same and that is why there are no "visa runs" into the Royal Kingdom, also ex-pat "escapes" like I did by air back in February (just temperature checks at that time).

11 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed and I totally agree but unfortunately it is Thailand that is keeping the land borders closed (other than for import/export business). I now live in Siem Reap and I know, from Facebook posts by Cambodian Immigration on my page, there is a desire by Cambodia to open its land borders with Thailand (with health precautions) BUT Thailand keeps its borders CLOSED. So, Cambodia has to do the same and that is why there are no "visa runs" into the Royal Kingdom, also ex-pat "escapes" like I did by air back in February (just temperature checks at that time).

Cambodia can open it's borders, Thailand can't imprison foreign citizens with the desire to leave.

No agreement is needed, Cambodia could go it alone.

Forget about health checks (there is no new COVID in Thailand)

Forget about VISA runs.

Forget about Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Deli said:

11 hours ago, Deli said:

good luck with that..... loooong queue waiting for reparations from china.... ccp r soles wont be happy till they cause a war!

On 8/14/2020 at 5:18 PM, warcy said:

If China owns Cambodia, it would be a province of China and not a separate country right now. Your hatred for China shows you're a racist or propagandist.

China is benefiting more that the Cambodian people-it’s a fact-do you live there?