Extension Renewal- Something New?

I did my annual extension renewal at Rayong yesterday. I am on a non-B based extension for retirement since 2005. Have not left the country in all those years. Every extension has gone smooth with no issues. Last year since the changes to the system I could not use the Pension letter from USA as we all know the Embassy stopped giving the letter. So last year was the first time I did an extension using 800K in the bank. I used my BBL FCD account that holds a significant amount of funds well above the 800K. Last year went smooth as every year in the past. This year I broke a personal record as I went to my local BBL for my letter and updates and was in and out of the bank in about 15 minutes. I went home to make some copies and then to Rayong Immigration about 15 minutes away.

Arrived there and about 25 cars in lot and expected a group in the office. I was surprised as when I walked in only 3 people sitting there. Got my que number and heard the call for my number before I turned around. Went directly to Window 2 and handed in my forms and copies. IO checked it all over, handed back one copy and said cannot read this on get another copy. Went to get copy, returned in a minute or two and gave to IO. SHe added to the pile, I gave her bank book and she asked for my 1,900 baht. Said sit please and we call you. About 5 minutes passed and I was back to window, took my photo and then gave me my passport and receipt and also 90 day receipt and said see you at 90 day report. I checked psspt and all in order with my stamp for another year. In and out of Immigration in less than 15 minutes. Smooth as silk, no questions no discussions. I was very happy as I was worried about the insurance issues this year. 

Extension rule.pdf

The only new thing I see is on my visa page they stapled a small document showing I need to show copies of bank book and passport at 90 report time,,,,,,,,,,,thi is new for me. It is a requirement for the 800K in the bank method I guess. Not sure if I have to do on every 90 day report or just the first one after the extension. I attach a copy of the form here for your view.

Thanks for reading

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

I am on a non-B based extension for retirement since 2005

I assume you got a new passport since 2005.

When you transferred stamps, what does the first page of your passport show (Liberty Bell Page 8)? Non-B, Non-O, Non-RE? One, more, all?

I thought you couldn't get a Retirement extension on a Non-Imm. B?

Yes, some people (in the past, not so recently is my recollection) were able to get Retirement extensions on a Non-Imm B, but always thought that involved an intra-Immigration conversion to a Non-O?

Edited by mtls2005

OP, its usually show bank book 90 days from date of extension, not show bank book at your next 90 day report.

Your usual 90 day reports are a separate thing from 90 days after extension.

• Like 1

Some offices are wanting you to prove you still have the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you apply and then 400k baht after that. Some want it done every 90 days or 3 months.

That is due to the new rules that went into effect on March 1st last year.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some offices are wanting you to prove you still have the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you apply and then 400k baht after that. Some want it done every 90 days or 3 months.

That is due to the new rules that went into effect on March 1st last year.

one thing you can't blame thailand immigration is their policies inconsistencies between different branches as if each brunch is an autonomous on itself to do and act as the see fit...

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, its usually show bank book 90 days from date of extension, not show bank book at your next 90 day report.

Sounds like his existing 90-day report period was cancelled, being superseded by a new one beginning with date of new extension. Actually, kind of neat and tidy to roll in the 800k-in bank-for 3 months requirement with a new 90-day report period. Does, however, preclude reporting online, thus additional shoe leather required.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

When you transferred stamps, what does the first page of your passport show (Liberty Bell Page 8)? Non-B, Non-O, Non-RE? One, more, all?

Yes, some people (in the past, not so recently is my recollection) were able to get Retirement extensions on a Non-Imm B, but always thought that involved an intra-Immigration conversion to a Non-O?

I have been on a Non-B since the day I set foot in Thailand in 05 June and within 2 90 day periods I went on the retirement extension which I have been on since. No breaks, The first stamp in new passport shows Non-B. 

I did a 90 day report on the day I did the extension which is 13 August

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

6 hours ago, longball53098 said:

The only new thing I see is on my visa page they stapled a small document showing I need to show copies of bank book and passport at 90 report time,,,,,,,,,,,thi is new for me. It is a requirement for the 800K in the bank method I guess. Not sure if I have to do on every 90 day report or just the first one after the extension. I attach a copy of the form here for your view.

I got the same ticket stapled in my passport when I got my extension at Rayong back in February. I said to the officers at the desk "But I do the 90-day report online", and they just shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh, OK", as  if they weren't bothered about it. Under that impression, and also because it's counterintuitive that there should be an amnesty on 90-day reporting but you're still required to turn up in person with your bank book, I didn't bother in April, and just reported online. I reported online again about 3 weeks ago, but decided, as it's only 15 minutes to the office, to take my updated book in and see what they said. The IO just scribbled the date on the ticket and that was it. She wasn't interested in the copies supposedly required. Obviously the date at which I should have had an 800k balance had long since passed.

I got the impression once again that they're not really interested in this scheme, (which is not a legal requirement?). It hadn't occurred to me that reporting with your book every 90 days is required, and I won't be going again until my next extension. 

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

one thing you can't blame thailand immigration is their policies inconsistencies between different branches as if each brunch is an autonomous on itself to do and act as the see fit...

Well who is to blame? If all the IOs had the same rules, it would stop leaving people confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

"I was very happy as I was worried about the insurance issues this year."

What do you mean by that? Did you have one or not ? ( insurance)

No questions about insurance whatsoever. As I understand a non-b does not need he health insurance but I was concerned that they would require it anyway and my Tricare coverage does not meet the Thai requirements so now I am good to go. Bottom line insurance on my extension is not needed

1 minute ago, longball53098 said:

No questions about insurance whatsoever. As I understand a non-b does not need he health insurance but I was concerned that they would require it anyway and my Tricare coverage does not meet the Thai requirements so now I am good to go. Bottom line insurance on my extension is not needed

Of course, I was absent-minded with my question, I knew it, with  non B no need for this insurance.

But me with my non O,  I did try without the insurance, it did not work, but they gave me  a little more time, I came in Thailand July 31th so for years my visa extension was logically due to July 30th, now my extension for the end of this year is due to August 3th. 

By the way a good question to Ubonjoe, since in fact this year I have had an extension of 369 days, I thought it would have been impossible! 

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, separate, so - "its usually show bank book 90 days from date of extension"  really?  I have done Ret Ext for many years and only need show

bank items when doing the 1 year extension....

5 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Yes, separate, so - "its usually show bank book 90 days from date of extension"  really?  I have done Ret Ext for many years and only need show

Since the last change to retirement extensions, if you do the 800,000 baht in the bank method, you have to keep it in the account for 3 months before the extension and 3 months after. Subsequently must be a minimum of 400,000 for the next 6 months. Some offices check this after 90 days.

31 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Its been a requirement since March last year, 800k in account 90 days after extension is granted and 400k for the rest of the year. Enforcement varies depends on the immigration office. 

Edited by Peterw42

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its been a requirement since March this year, 800k in account 90 days after extension is granted and 400k for the rest of the year. Enforcement varies depends on the immigration office. 

It was March 1st of last year when it went into effect.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was March 1st of last year when it went into effect.

Thanks, edited.

Not sure what I was thinking, getting the years wrong now as well as the days of the week.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Of course, I was absent-minded with my question, I knew it, with  non B no need for this insurance.

But me with my non O,  I did try without the insurance, it did not work, but they gave me  a little more time, I came in Thailand July 31th so for years my visa extension was logically due to July 30th, now my extension for the end of this year is due to August 3th. 

By the way a good question to Ubonjoe, since in fact this year I have had an extension of 369 days, I thought it would have been impossible! 

What do you mean "with my non O, I did try without insurance, it did not work,"?  Insurance is not required with a Non Imm - O.  Do you have an Non Imm O-A...Yes/No?  Either you're confused or you got your type of VISA/extension mixed up.

The reason for requesting your Bank book 90 days after is because you need to maintain the balance at B800000 for this period. You can then drop the balance but remain above B400000.

It might be a good idea to get a bank statement for the period in question.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

True, of which I have personal experience. But the French Immigration system where I also have a home and am resident is also hugely variable.

The rules and regs are set by central government ( and the EU for EU citizens and their families) but the applications are dealt with by Immigration Bureaux in each regional department and the rules have been widely and differently interpreted. This has been starkly highlighted by Brexit and Brits losing EU citizenship and so making early residency applications, for the first time in decades. Now that Brexit has actually happened all Brits claiming residency before 1 January 2021 will have to prove it or be deemed visitors by the middle of next year with stays limited to 90 days in 180 under the Schengen rules. No longera will you be able to just rock up and make it happen, because you fancied it,  as I did in 2004

23 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes we have to do that .to prove u still have the full money after 3 months.only do it once .nothinf to do with 90 day report

15 hours ago, mosan said:

What do you mean "with my non O, I did try without insurance, it did not work,"?  Insurance is not required with a Non Imm - O.  Do you have an Non Imm O-A...Yes/No?  Either you're confused or you got your type of VISA/extension mixed up.

Yes Yes non OA ! 

On 8/14/2020 at 6:27 AM, longball53098 said:

Why does Tricare fail to meet requirements? There is no limit on payouts as far as I know.

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

Tricare will not supply a person with documentation of the amounts of coverage and that will not satisfy the Thai Immigration insurance requirements

Even if Tricare did supply such info, Thai Imm still wouldn't accept it for extension renewal. You must have insurance with one of the Thai companies on the TGIA list. การหลอกลวง is Thai for scam.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Even if Tricare did supply such info, Thai Imm still wouldn't accept it for extension renewal. You must have insurance with one of the Thai companies on the TGIA list. การหลอกลวง is Thai for scam.

Yes, like all the other (stuff) Immigration invents to block honest-applicants - they don't care if you "really" meet the requirements or not.

• Like 1