Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

Iran, Saudi Arabia, the list goes on. Another bitter expat, lager is better.

No the list does not go on, as even in these countries there are scantley clad women looking for money just not in public view.  Your either a child or have been drinking to much fluoridated water

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

I doubt very much you have been following him for 6 months.

I would think that Richard Barrow is in his 40's and not 60's as you stated and his surname is Barrow not mr burrows.

Another incorrect post.

Incorrect. I say he is 50. Based on reading his info. Max 55.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If he actually said that on a public platform and can be identified, he must, IMO be a bit thick to do so. Lives in LOS, but apparently knows little about how things work there. Perhaps he needed to get out of his digital bubble and smell the traffic fumes.

I think he feels protected because of his notoriety. However, he acts very entitled to criticize his host country. The norms of etiquette are very different from Britain and he should have learned this long ago. I do enjoy his travel blogs but not his social criticisms. 

• Like 2

Well, he can return home and come back and write off the return fees as a business expense since it is obvious a large chunk of his income comes from "donations" through his vlog.

It makes me laugh. Can I just open up a Thai internet shop and put paypal "donation" buttons on each page and remain off of Thai IO radar? 

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Perhaps you can explain how these attractions survived before raising the price for foreigners.

I visited the same attractions before the advent of dual pricing. They are still there, but now they have different prices for foreigners.

Why, pray tell me, would revenue and staff be affected if the 5% of foreigners(your wild claim) paid the same price as Thais? Why would they need more staff for those 5%?

You post is full of hyperbole. It's really unbecoming to be an apologist for such disgusting behaviour.

Daylight robbery is what it is.

I stated that the 95% of Thais are your average working class Thais and not wealthy,  Of course you overlooked this point as you were to busy assessing your feelings and deciding whether or not your anxiety medication would need to be doubled.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I think he feels protected because of his notoriety. However, he acts very entitled to criticize his host country. The norms of etiquette are very different from Britain and he should have learned this long ago. I do enjoy his travel blogs but not his social criticisms. 

+1. Well said. Enough of the petty social criticism and burning a country bc they have dual pricing for tourists atractions... 

Just now, fondue zoo said:

Greenland..cause it's really cold? I suppose they could be scantily clad under a thick jacket..  ????

Good point, I actually didn't think of Greenland as i thought Trump purchased it and was therefore a part of America, ???? 

• Haha 1

He's in with the TAT and I don't see anything controversial or get how people think he attacks Thailand. I doubt anyone in authority cares about Richard tweeting about dual pricing.  He does occasionally go into much more dangerous territory, though tries to do it in a way from which he could plead innocence. It's just trying to be that bit too clever and the kind of thing that could come back to bite.
Mostly though he does a useful job with all the retweets bringing information from other sources together in one place and his own travel reports. He should stick to those. Having said that, I still think his immigration problems most likely stem from his business set-up rather than any perceived challenge to the authorities here. 

• Like 1

Thailand do not like any type of criticism so I believe if you live in Thailand you abide by the rules or leave .I just read a article in the Financial Times that things have been posted on face book criticism of the Royal Family. I believe if you are a guest in the country you respect the rules they make you agree or not.I admire the Thais for carrying it through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your life ‘could’ get better in Thailand because people like Richard Barrow draw attention to the inequalities Westerners face in Thailand. 

If people do nothing, nothing improves. 

If you go to Safari world / a national park / Siam Sea Life etc with your family and pay Double or more than your Thai Wife, its because there were not enough people Like Richard Barrow publicising such wrongs 10 years ago. 

If in a few years you go to Safari world / a national park / Siam Sea Life etc with your family and pay the same price as your Thai Wife, its because people Like Richard Barrow publicised such wrongs.

However, in publicising such wrongs Richard Barrow risks rocking the boat, upsetting the status quo, causes a loss of face etc... as such, it's possible he has become unpopular with those in decision making power. 

Why should you care?... Wouldn’t you like to own your own house etc, receive better rights in Thailand? 

Not have to put up with the banal hoop jumping for Visas etc? 90 day reports?

Remember TM30 ??? well thats changed just this year.... Why ??????  its quite possible that a ‘group’ of Westerners lobbied and protested such that sufficient attention was paid by those in positions of decision making power. Change was affected. A minor win, but life has been made just that little bit easier for many expats living in Thailand who no longer have to file a TM30 every time they return home from a holiday etc.

This is why you should care - People like Richard Barrow draw attention to the issues we complain about. 

Pearl before the swine!

For some, Thailand is just paradise and they don't bother or care about others!

Just let it go!

7 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

An attraction that I visited had previous pricing of 75 baht for Thais and 100 baht for foreigners. This moved to 100 baht for Thais and 300 baht for foreigners.

So where is the discount for Thais? 

Does the concept of inflation escape you?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yawn... go home if you don’t like it???

You think Dual Pricing is a tradition???....    another comical response. 

In my home city in the UK, if I show my council tax bill with local address I can get into many attractions for free, whereas people who don't reside in the city have to pay. What's the difference between this and Thailand's dual pricing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Pilotman said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why does he make it more difficult for the rest of us ???? in what way ?

This is interesting thought, I have no doubt that Richard Barrow has an anonymous account on TVF, so he is no doubt reading all this and maybe even commenting anonymously' it's interesting isn't it;   'Richard Smith 237', don't you think?  

You guys can’t help yourselves... a hidden agenda here, a conspiracy there....  and now fake accounts on this forum.... why?

Because I am not of the belief that we should ‘put up and shut up’ when there are things in this world we don’t like. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yawn... go home if you don’t like it???

You think Dual Pricing is a tradition???....    another comical response. 

I do like Dual pricing, so it is you that doesn't like it nice try at deflection though.  Keep playing victim as it highlights your weakness

• Like 1