Legends confirmed: World War II cave used by "Seri Thai" found in north east Thailand

webfact

Legends confirmed: World War II cave used by "Seri Thai" found in north east Thailand

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A cave believed to have been used by the Free Thai movement or Seri Thai fighting Imperial Japanese occupation in World War has been found in the north east of Thailand.

A local district chief hopes to develop the site as a tourist attraction. 

Stories had been handed down from generation to generation about the existence of caves in the area between Kalasin and Sakon Nakhon provinces. It was said that Seri Thai stored munitions and provisions that had been provided by the British and the United States who were allies of the Thais fighting the Japanese. 

Other caves found in the area of Khao Phu Phan were thought not to have been used. 

But now one has been found 200 meters off Route 4001 that was sealed up with material to conceal its entrance. 

This, said PhuYai Ban Wilai Chaisila, 72, seemed to confirm the stories he has heard throughout his life.

Now the Nakha district chief Phirun Narkdontree wants to develop the cave as a historical tourism site.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-14

35 minutes ago, loong said:

Does that mean that they were aiding the Thais who continued to fight the Japanese?

The Thai nation allied with the Japanese and declared war on The Brits and USA.

Jan 25th, 1942, Thailand did declare war on the Allies but it was not taken seriously ???? It rather takes the steam out of the well known version, enjoyed by most Thais, that they were never defeated !

1 hour ago, loong said:

Does that mean that they were aiding the Thais who continued to fight the Japanese?

The Thai nation allied with the Japanese and declared war on The Brits and USA.

I understood that whilst they did sign a treaty and declared war on the allies, the document was kept hidden in a safe place and never shown to anyone. It was kept 'secret'.

• Like 1

I have never read anything that says the Seri Thai did anything other than blow up a bridge. No assassinations, blowing up of trains or anything comparable to the French resistance. While America never did declare war on Thailand because the declaration was not delivered, Britain certainly did as the Thai government was very happy to join with the side they thought was winning the war. I cannot find anything the Seri Thai did that looked like resistance, though I understand they did not want repercussions on the civilian population. They were just a mosquito on the Japanese backside.

• Like 1

When Germany defeated the French and installed the Vichy govt., Thailand saw it as a great opportunity expand so it invaded colonial French territories and actually fought quite well against weakened French forces.  Japan had to intercede because it embarrassed the Germans who controlled Vichy France and its colonies.

Japan then moved troops into Thailand with the cooperation of the Thai PM, so it wasn't an invasion.  Thailand then declared war on England and the USA, expecting to be rewarded territories when the Japanese won WW2.  Things didn't end up as planned and the commoner Thais suffered greatly from the Japanese as fortunes turned.  

• Like 2

Although not in the north-east, there was at least one Thai man who dared to paint a "Union Jack" on the roof of his house in Chiang Mai during the war, so as to avoid being bombed during air-raids that were expected to come from Allied forces based in Burma. It is well documented in Chiang Mai and it appears he was able to keep it a secret from the Japanese, who I am sure would have been less than impressed with such behaviour. I seem to recall another chap did the same thing in Bangkok. Although not on this topic - I wonder just how many folks who live in and around the north-east are aware that those really long concrete 'straights' that appear all over the place on random highways around Udon and Ubon are in fact old B52 emergency landing strips, left over from the Vietnam conflict. They have simply been re-purposed by the Thais as parts of roads. 

and the RTAF Museum displays their 'hero' who shot down a US B29 

the pseudo thai parallels we can draw; akin that of the Vichy French, and the French Resistance - definitely not something taught in the schools... 

1946 was very embarrassing when UK vice regal rolled back in and forced the kaetowing, and the return of neighbouring lands...