Govt warns against sharing false news on Thailand losing gold mine case

webfact

Govt warns against sharing false news on Thailand losing gold mine case

By THE NATION

800_8f19b03958dc534.jpg?v=1597370456

The Digital Economy and Society Ministry has warned people not to believe or share news and internet posts that the government has lost its legal case against Kingsgate Consolidated and must pay a compensation of Bt70 billion.

Australian firm Kingsgate Consolidated Limited sued the Thai government for compensation over the controversial closure of a gold mine in Phichit province operated by Kingsgate’s subsidiary Akara Resources in early 2017.

“The ministry’s Anti-Fake News Centre contacted the Government Public Relations Department to verify this information and was told it was wrong,” the ministry said. “The latest arbitration hearing of this case took place in Singapore in February this year, while the deadline for submission of additional documents to the arbitration committee was set in July, which means the committee has not given its verdict yet.

“The committee also has not revealed when the final verdict will be given, therefore the news that the government has lost and must pay Bt70 billion compensation is not true,” it added.

For further information, contact the Government Public Relation Department at 02-618-2323 or visit: www.prd.go.th

1597339474.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392937

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-14

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

The share price has popped a bit in the last couple weeks. But the market cap is 23x less than the reported arb award. I think that's a pretty good reason to think there will be no award anywheres near that amount. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pegman said:

The share price has popped a bit in the last couple weeks. But the market cap is 23x less than the reported arb award. I think that's a pretty good reason to think there will be no award anywheres near that amount. 

It depends on the projected income loss from the closing of the mine.

I am sure it’s not that high, but there are many factors to consider in the total cost.

They did get insurance money already.

• Like 1