17 returnees test positive for Covid-19 in state quarantine

webfact

17 returnees test positive for Covid-19 in state quarantine

By The Nation

800_ede2479e6c8a701.jpg?v=1597380874

There were 17 new cases in state quarantine over a 24-hour period, the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported on Friday (August 14).

t was the 81st day without any domestic cases since May.

Of the new cases, one had returned from the United States, 15 from India and one from Australia.

Meanwhile, four patients have recovered and discharged.

As of August 14, the total number of confirmed cases in the country stood at 3,376 (439 in state quarantine) -- 145 are under treatment, 3,173 have recovered and been discharged, and there have been 58 deaths.

Globally, the total number of confirmed cases reached 21 million, up by 274,000 on Thursday, of whom 13.9 million have recovered while deaths stood at 753,000. Thailand ranks at 114th among countries for number of cases. The US has the highest number (5.41 million), followed by Brazil (3.22 million) and India ( 2.4 million).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392954

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-14

9 minutes ago, 2long said:

Can you imagine what might be found if they randomly tested 1,000 people who haven't left Thailand in 2020? I reckon this virus is all over the place, but not harmful in the vast majority and possibly asymptomatic in huge numbers.

I wonder how many people have it now...but don't want to go to the hospital in case they get forced into isolation or have their names in the news.... especially if they have been travelling around the country...then lots of people will have to tracked down and tested. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, aussienam said:

In order to prevent misinformation about foreign nationalities being considered a greater threat, it would be helpful if the statistics presented for positive cases returning, were separated into Thai and foreign nationals.  That way the Thai public could be more informed and any xenophobic reactions mitigated.  The way these news articles are published they tend to promote fear of 'infected farangs'.  Of course, I imagine most Thai people are intelligent and understand that once cleared from ASQ farangs do not pose a risk, but as we have seen, certain establishments have barred foreigners out of sheer ignorance and misinterpretation.  

Nationalities are noted in the BP article, but not in this OP. There is sometimes a follow-up article with this information. It would appear that all are Thai nationals.

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I respectfully disagree. Thailand moved quickly to close the borders. When you eradicate the virus internally, then the only infections come from outside. You can see where the infections are coming easily....15 returning from India. If people were contracting coronavirus within Thailand you would know about it....where are the mass graves? Where are the refrigerated temporary morgues? They don't exist because COVID is not being transmitted within Thailand. This poses a huge problem for the authorities....at the moment the population of Thailand are safe from COVID....but once they open the borders without quarantine the virus will run riot here as there is no immunity. Thailand can only safely open up when other countries have stopped the virus within their borders.

Yeah yeah let's open Thailand to cheap labor from Mymar , Cambogia,  Laos , Vietnam and place them in working camps ... Have you ever seen Working Camps Hygiene Conditions ? Bla Bla Bla .....

17 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Been said many times, you don’t test you don’t get cases, the average Thai won’t go to hospital.

Its well known that in general if you are in decent health you can recover in 4/5 days.

>1 in 2000 americans (and swedes) known to have died over the last 6 months.. can we make it 1 in a 1000? get well soon..

5 hours ago, aussienam said:

In order to prevent misinformation about foreign nationalities being considered a greater threat, it would be helpful if the statistics presented for positive cases returning, were separated into Thai and foreign nationals.  That way the Thai public could be more informed and any xenophobic reactions mitigated.  The way these news articles are published they tend to promote fear of 'infected farangs'.  Of course, I imagine most Thai people are intelligent and understand that once cleared from ASQ farangs do not pose a risk, but as we have seen, certain establishments have barred foreigners out of sheer ignorance and misinterpretation.  

Just point fingers at the chinese. Thry're foreigners and they started it.

My opinion anyway.

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I respectfully disagree. Thailand moved quickly to close the borders. When you eradicate the virus internally, then the only infections come from outside. You can see where the infections are coming easily....15 returning from India. If people were contracting coronavirus within Thailand you would know about it....where are the mass graves? Where are the refrigerated temporary morgues? They don't exist because COVID is not being transmitted within Thailand. This poses a huge problem for the authorities....at the moment the population of Thailand are safe from COVID....but once they open the borders without quarantine the virus will run riot here as there is no immunity. Thailand can only safely open up when other countries have stopped the virus within their borders.

Wrong, you must have a very poor memory. 
Thailand had it's first case January 13th, they did not close the borders until April 4th! A national emergency was not established until late March. They waited 10 weeks to close the borders after their first infection, and you think this was a quick response? They were one of the last in SE Asia to do so, even though they had the first case in the world after China.
They also allowed 80,000 Wuhan tourists to enter throughout a 7 week period, while all of the images were coming out of China of people fainting and dying, and hospitals being crowded. This was before we knew basically anything about the virus. 
Thailand went from under-reacting as if nothing was happening, to totally overreacting. People seem to have a very short memory 

Edited by Mung
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

The virus hasn't been eradicated. I don't want to out them, but one of my Thai friends who hasn't been overseas got put into state quarantine. It wasn't reported. Imagine my shock. 

• Like 2

Maybe many people get the virus, but simply don't go to the hospital or ask for coeonavirus test. The reason they don't go is they either think it's just a cold, or they don't want to be put in isolation and loose money from their work / leave their family and home etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Maybe many people get the virus, but simply don't go to the hospital or ask for coeonavirus test. The reason they don't go is they either think it's just a cold, or they don't want to be put in isolation and loose money from their work / leave their family and home etc. 

Nail on head !

10 hours ago, aussienam said:

Sorry if i sound cynical, but they have already done it.

Its Thai 101

Whenever they use the words "returnees" 

or simply

"people"

its more likely to be a larger % of Thai nationals.

If it were foreigners they would surely not miss the opportunity to have the word "foriegners" splashed all over the headlines.

Edited by pookondee
  • Like 1

The odds of you requiring hospitalization if you become infected with CV depend a lot on individual factors, one of the main ones being age.  The overall population average is low, but not so low once you get into the 60s, 70s and 80s age groups.

Screenshot_6.jpg.b8ceaec89c462f7595b45bb1d33777e0.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6915e3.htm

The above chart shows rate of hospitalization per 100,000 population.

The CV hospitalizations captured in this study reflect one month of cases in the U.S. The numbers below break down the percentages by age group of all those who required hospitalization.

Among 1,482 patients hospitalized with COVID-19, 74.5% were aged ≥50 years, and 54.4% were male. The hospitalization rate among patients identified through COVID-NET during this 4-week period was 4.6 per 100,000 population....

Among the 1,482 laboratory-confirmed COVID-19–associated hospitalizations reported through COVID-NET, six (0.4%) each were patients aged 0–4 years and 5–17 years, 366 (24.7%) were aged 18–49 years, 461 (31.1%) were aged 50–64 years, and 643 (43.4%) were aged ≥65 years. 

There was another UK study that looked at the experience with about 70,000 CV cases in China. In other words, of all the CV cases they studied, the following shares by age group either ended up being hospitalized or dying.

By decade, the risk of hospitalization from infection with the new coronavirus is: Zero for kids under 10; 0.1% for kids 10 to 19; 1% for people aged 20 to 29; 3.4% for people aged 30 to 39; 4.3% for people in their 40s; 8.2% for those in their 50s; 11.8% for people aged 60 to 69; 16.6% for those in their 70s; and 18.4% for those in their 80s or above.

As for the death rate, the risk was near zero for people under 40, crept up to 0.2% for people 40 to 49, to 0.6% for 50-somethings, just under 2% for people in their 60s, 4.3% for those in their 70s, and 7.8% for those in their 80s, the findings showed.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-03-30/odds-of-hospitalization-death-with-covid-19-rise-steadily-with-age-study

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Once again - not making Thai's test before they depart (like they make foreigners do) on these repatriation flights back to Thailand is a recipe for disaster. 

I think they should require preflight testing for Thais, just like they do supposedly for everyone else.

But the fact they're not requiring it doesn't seem to me to be a recipe for disaster, so long as all the returning Thais and everyone else is required to undergo the 14 day mandatory quarantine and aren't released until they have a final positive test.

In that case, it seems to me, the risk they're incurring by not pretesting the returning Thais prior to flight is them potentially exposing others on their return flight and once they're in quarantine until they're isolated. After that, I don't see the additional risk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think they should require preflight testing for Thais, just like they do supposedly for everyone else.

But the fact they're not requiring it doesn't seem to me to be a recipe for disaster, so long as all the returning Thais and everyone else is required to undergo the 14 day mandatory quarantine and aren't released until they have a final positive test.

In that case, it seems to me, the risk they're incurring by not pretesting the returning Thais prior to flight is them potentially exposing others on their return flight and once they're in quarantine until they're isolated. After that, I don't see the additional risk.

Any sort of issue that increases infections is a risk. 

Arrival at the airport, to your quarantine hotel isn't exactly a bubble. Loads of things can go wrong. 

It should be mandotory for Thai's to get a test 72 hours before their flight, just like foreigners are made to do. This is safer for the whole flight so you don't get Thai's infecting each other and the 'tested' foreigners. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Basically a waste of time and money for a foreigner having to have a test no idea why, they pass through check in, security etc, 12 hours on a flight then 14 days quarantine !

4 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Basically a waste of time and money for a foreigner having to have a test no idea why, they pass through check in, security etc, 12 hours on a flight then 14 days quarantine !

So hopefully infected folks, or fewer of them, don't end up being allowed on the plane and have the opportunity to infect others around them during the long, cramped flight???

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So hopefully infected folks, or fewer of them, don't end up being allowed on the plane and have the opportunity to infect others around them during the long, cramped flight???

Either test everyone or no one simple as.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The simple explanation is,

Thailand

(or any other country in the world for that matter)

cannot deny entry to its returning citizens,

whether they are tested or not,

and no matter if they have covid or not really.

Thats why they are not testing the Thais.

It would make for to many very awkward truths to know who is actually infected and they obviously dont want the publicity of airlines leaving Thais stranded at airports because they are infected.

And more so, i think its probably why they dividing the foreigners into going via business class, rather than the usual conspiracy that they are scamming the farang again.

So all they can do is repatriate people on whatever flights are available, hope for the best and hope the quarantine measures work.

The only other option would be to test everyone and have separate flights for infected and separate flights for clean, but that would never work for a variety of reasons.

54 minutes ago, pookondee said:

The simple explanation is,

Thailand

(or any other country in the world for that matter)

cannot deny entry to its returning citizens,

whether they are tested or not,

and no matter if they have covid or not really.

Thats why they are not testing the Thais.

It would make for to many very awkward truths to know who is actually infected and they obviously dont want the publicity of airlines leaving Thais stranded at airports because they are infected.

And more so, i think its probably why they dividing the foreigners into going via business class, rather than the usual conspiracy that they are scamming the farang again.

So all they can do is repatriate people on whatever flights are available, hope for the best and hope the quarantine measures work.

The only other option would be to test everyone and have separate flights for infected and separate flights for clean, but that would never work for a variety of reasons.

Then how can they deny them without a Fit to Fly certificate ?