Those on the Visa amnesty

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I've decided to go for a long-term visa, based on the following assumptions (which might or might not be correct, obviously):

Firstly, the automatic extension will end on Sep 26th and immigration will be frustrating to deal with even in case I would be able to get an embassy letter, which I consider unlikely. I'm also not keen on repeating that after 30 days.

Secondly, the coronavirus mess will drag on for quite a bit longer. At this point, I don't think nearby countries will open before the Thai "amnesty" ends. I also think Thailand will keep the situation controlled, so it's both safer and more fun to be here than in most other countries.

Finally, winter in Thailand beats winter in Europe. I want to be all set and won't risk having to depart on short notice.

This is quite a departure from my usual modus operandi for me! I actually like to travel around within the region, so having to exit Thailand every few months has never bothered me. Desperate times, desperate measures!

Which visa will you apply for? ED ?

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Firstly, the automatic extension will end on Sep 26th and immigration will be frustrating to deal with even in case I would be able to get an embassy letter, which I consider unlikely. I'm also not keen on repeating that after 30 days.

Even if you were able to get endless letters from your Embassy to get a visa exertions , it would still cost 24 000 Baht per year and 12 days at immigration , and its highly unlikely that the Embassy would supply an endless amount of letters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

There is also the distinct possibility that Thailand could open up its borders, then close them again IF the virus reemerges , thus you would run the risk of being stranded abroad, like so many people currently are .

There's also the possibility that immigration tells you to leave by air and go home. 

• Like 2

Still desperately trying to get back to Taiwan. This news just in from Taiwan concerning the 6 month rule for tourists. They have waived the 180 day rule due to the pandemic and given a second free extension to them.. Not saying Thailand will do it, just that it is interesting.

2nd Automatic 30-Day Visa Extensions Announced for Foreigners who have Legally Stayed for 180 Days or More

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141457/142068/235912/

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I think he believes that since Thailand is shut until maybe March 2021 that they will definitely be extending the amnesty.

IMO , Thai immigration will do as what they previously stated , that any more Visa extensions will only be done with a request letter from your Embassy , stating you are unable to fly home .

AS its possible for many of us to fly home, Embassys will nor provide those letters .

The reason why an amnesty was given last time was to prevent people attending immigration offices and spreading the virus . Schools , public transport and shops were closed down to prevent the spread of the virus , now that these have all opened up again, there is no reason to keep immigration offices closed  and people who are still stranded in Thailand can get a letter from their Embassy and go to I.O and get an extension 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

IMO , Thai immigration will do as what they previously stated , that any more Visa extensions will only be done with a request letter from your Embassy , stating you are unable to fly home .

AS its possible for many of us to fly home, Embassys will nor provide those letters .

The reason why an amnesty was given last time was to prevent people attending immigration offices and spreading the virus . Schools , public transport and shops were closed down to prevent the spread of the virus , now that these have all opened up again, there is no reason to keep immigration offices closed  and people who are still stranded in Thailand can get a letter from their Embassy and go to I.O and get an extension 

It's not about immigration, and it's not their decision. It's the cabinet. The cabinet and MOFA have all the power in this decision, and as they did the last 2 times, can overrule immigration (do you understand this?). Having said that, you may be right.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

I think most of us don't want to go home,as the virus is very bad in our home countries.It would

be very nice if the Thai Government would would grant us another amnesty as we don't have the

virus. Failing that, with Thailand handling the virus so good an other countries in our area doing 

so well there must be some light on opening the borders or at least airports.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

It's not about immigration, and it's not their decision. It's the cabinet. The cabinet and MOFA have all the power in this decision, and as they did the last 2 times, can overrule immigration (do you understand this?). Having said that, you may be right.

Yes, I do understand that , (I have posted that myself previously) .

Just to clarify things , I expect the Cabinet to instruct the immigration to do as I stated in post #16

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I think most of us don't want to go home,as the virus is very bad in our home countries.It would

be very nice if the Thai Government would would grant us another amnesty as we don't have the

virus. Failing that, with Thailand handling the virus so good an other countries in our area doing 

so well there must be some light on opening the borders or at least airports.

Or allow us a simple in country option to pay and extend our visas. That would be ideal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, I do understand that , (I have posted that myself previously) .

Just to clarify things , I expect the Cabinet to instruct the immigration to do as I stated in post #16

You may be right. It seems that things are still very fluid now as in July it didn't seem that Thailand would keep itself closed until Mid 2021 and write off high season 2020 completely. I don't know if people in Taiwan expected its government to waive its own 180 day rule.

amnesty does not concern me as am on a extension but i cant believe that 48%

checked this option;

Wait and hope for a further extension of the amnesty

Fools???? or just wishful thinkers

Edited by zzzzz
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

On the other hand, who needs the Immigration when the country’s borders are closed for 6 months and will be closed even longer? And what might be their function at the moment? To squeeze out of the country the only tourists Thailand currently have? This is why the government has overridden the Immigration’s initiatives for three consecutive times. Hope they will do it again in September.

It's like they act like they are the Border Patrol...and their job is to search and destroy.

• Like 2