BANGKOK

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I've decided to go for a long-term visa, based on the following assumptions (which might or might not be correct, obviously):

Firstly, the automatic extension will end on Sep 26th and immigration will be frustrating to deal with even in case I would be able to get an embassy letter, which I consider unlikely. I'm also not keen on repeating that after 30 days.

Secondly, the coronavirus mess will drag on for quite a bit longer. At this point, I don't think nearby countries will open before the Thai "amnesty" ends. I also think Thailand will keep the situation controlled, so it's both safer and more fun to be here than in most other countries.

Finally, winter in Thailand beats winter in Europe. I want to be all set and won't risk having to depart on short notice.

This is quite a departure from my usual modus operandi for me! I actually like to travel around within the region, so having to exit Thailand every few months has never bothered me. Desperate times, desperate measures!

Which visa will you apply for? ED ?

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Firstly, the automatic extension will end on Sep 26th and immigration will be frustrating to deal with even in case I would be able to get an embassy letter, which I consider unlikely. I'm also not keen on repeating that after 30 days.

Even if you were able to get endless letters from your Embassy to get a visa exertions , it would still cost 24 000 Baht per year and 12 days at immigration , and its highly unlikely that the Embassy would supply an endless amount of letters

• Like 1

Removed an off-topic post.

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

There is also the distinct possibility that Thailand could open up its borders, then close them again IF the virus reemerges , thus you would run the risk of being stranded abroad, like so many people currently are .

There's also the possibility that immigration tells you to leave by air and go home. 

• Like 2

as if it was not sure that a next extension is coming...

people really understand nothing it seems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, samtab said:

as if it was not sure that a next extension is coming...

people really understand nothing it seems.

I not understand you post .

What are you trying to say ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

None of the above!!!

What would be your option to take then ?

Still desperately trying to get back to Taiwan. This news just in from Taiwan concerning the 6 month rule for tourists. They have waived the 180 day rule due to the pandemic and given a second free extension to them.. Not saying Thailand will do it, just that it is interesting.

2nd Automatic 30-Day Visa Extensions Announced for Foreigners who have Legally Stayed for 180 Days or More

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141457/142068/235912/

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I not understand you post .

What are you trying to say ?

I think he believes that since Thailand is shut until maybe March 2021 that they will definitely be extending the amnesty.

Edited by vermin on arrival